Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/5/20 2:36 p.m.
feature_image

Subiefest 2020 kicked off on October 4 in Costa Mesa, California, this past weekend. Instead of the normal festivities, however, the event was changed into a drive-through affair that aimed to break the world record for the longest Subaru parade. 

The event also featured the "largest collection of Impreza 22B STI vehicles in America," heritage vehicles like Colin McRae's WRX, the latest …

Read the rest of the story

Let's hope that sweet blue camo paint (wrap?) makes it as a factory option.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/5/20 3:49 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Is there anything you hope doesn't make it to production?

TORQUE DIP

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/20 3:56 p.m.
nderwater said:
Colin Wood said:

TORQUE DIP

This, and maybe a little more "soul" in the power plant as well. And while we're at it, is an inline configuration too much to ask for? Boxers kinda suck from a packaging standpoint. 

Not really the targa, but I like this front end treatment.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/20 5:46 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

Let's hope that sweet blue camo paint (wrap?) makes it as a factory option.  

Yes, please. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/20 6:42 p.m.
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) said:
nderwater said:
Colin Wood said:

TORQUE DIP

This, and maybe a little more "soul" in the power plant as well. And while we're at it, is an inline configuration too much to ask for? Boxers kinda suck from a packaging standpoint. 

What is wrong with the current power plant?  I have never driven one, so I don't know.

10/5/20 7:33 p.m.
noddaz said:
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) said:
nderwater said:
Colin Wood said:

TORQUE DIP

What is wrong with the current power plant?  I have never driven one, so I don't know.

I mean, there's nothing really wrong with it, aside from the infamous torque dip*. It's reasonably sporting and makes perfectly fine power for what the car is, it just seems to lack any sort of a defining characteristic that makes it really memorable, like the buttery smoothness of a BMW I6, or the rev happyness of a Honda. Nothing that should deter anyone from the car, just picking nits. 

*The torque dip is just a noticeable flat spot in the torque curve from roughly 3-4k rpm, which is annoying because that's right where you end up driving much of the time. Supposedly fixed with headers and a tune.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/20 7:35 p.m.

How are there ANY 22Bs in the US?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/5/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

The flat four engine.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/5/20 7:38 p.m.

The WRX turbo engine would be a power plant with more soul. 

Though that would change the raison d'être of the BRZ as intended by Subaru.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/5/20 7:59 p.m.
jharry3 said:

The WRX turbo engine would be a power plant with more soul. 

Though that would change the raison d'être of the BRZ as intended by Subaru.

And push the price up near a base STi and add a few hundred pounds of weight with all the turbo stuff, plus everything else that needs upgrading to handle the extra power.

10/5/20 8:10 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You're right, it's a totally different car at that point. I think something like a K20 in these would have made them epic.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/20 8:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

How are there ANY 22Bs in the US?

They are on the NHTSA Show & Display exemption list.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/5/20 9:21 p.m.

From what we can tell so far, it seems the styling may look just okay.

I'm hoping it will have the Toyota turbo 2.0l, or a hotter variant of the Toyota 2.5l n/a. Or even just the Camry variety of the 2.5l...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/6/20 8:58 a.m.

I thought it was already basically confirmed it's going to get an NA FA24 engine. A lot of other stuff I've read said it's basically going to be new body panels/lights on the existing chassis..........which is basically a decade old at this point since the 2013's went on sale late 2012.

If they can get the power/torque increase to match the displacement increase, 20% and not add a bunch of weight, I think it will be great. 230-240 hp with the great feel and ergonomics of the previous car will be a success, as long as the styling isn't horrible. 

I'm excited to see where the new BRZ, STi, and 400Z are going to end up regarding final looks, specs, performance, and price next year.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/6/20 10:47 a.m.

Is toyota still in on this car? Why no fancy Yota 4 banger link in the lotus cars?

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/6/20 10:55 a.m.

Fix the torque issue and I'm sold. The Miata is more fun for similar weight:HP, but I want a coupe!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/6/20 10:59 a.m.

Watch the Mighty Car Mods episodes on the BRZ for the best commentary on the car both as made and after some performance mods. They pretty much nail the ownership experience and the solution for those that must have more power.  Hint:  BOOOOOOOSSSSSSTTT

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/6/20 11:10 a.m.

I just read something about the new 2.4 being rated at 217 or 220 hp. 

At least the first gen cars are super easy to pull weight out of without making any DD sacrifices. You could easily get 100 lbs out of them without much effort. Front brakes, wheels, rear seat delete, and a smaller battery. And that's just the easy stuff. Also a lot of weight to be lost in the exhaust system as well.

Hoping they will put a decent stereo in it too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
luwJrjYjAKtvXaIu3BgMrVkSJvN3YFePb91mnccSGbMMKp6F98aX0QUPMSMoOyqF