1 2
RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
8/15/12 10:57 p.m.

Interesting critter....never heard of one before! Good? Bad? indifferent? I like the open bed as I need to haul crap on a weekly basis and don't like putting it in my van (trash runs, kinda stinks the place up )

Subie Baja

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/12 10:59 p.m.

It's a Legacy Outback, but with a bed instead of a wagon.

My friend has one, it's been a really good car.

I'd hold out for a Turbo though.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
8/15/12 11:51 p.m.

I want one. Nothing constructive to add, though.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/12 12:07 a.m.
mtn wrote: I want one. Nothing constructive to add, though.

Same here, it is awesome.

If I was looking for one it would be with a turbo in yellow.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
8/16/12 1:23 a.m.

Add another one up, I love the baja.. Saw one yesterday in yellow and they are cool.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
8/16/12 4:37 a.m.

Friend had one in yellow. I had cash in hand when he replaced it with a Mustang, but his daughter took the keys from his hand, looked at me and said "Mine." I didn't argue, since she's hot.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/16/12 5:43 a.m.

It's funny, everybody wants one now........including me but (mostly) nobody wanted them back them. Subaru dropped them due to poor sales.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/12 6:19 a.m.

I was thinking the same thing. I really found them to be a dumb idea at the time, but I'd totally rock one now.

Or have the current models just become so bland that it makes the older ones look that much better?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/16/12 6:42 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I was thinking the same thing. I really found them to be a dumb idea at the time, but I'd totally rock one now. Or have the current models just become so bland that it makes the older ones look that much better?

I think both those statements are true.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
8/16/12 6:44 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: It's funny, everybody wants one now........including me but (mostly) nobody wanted them back them. Subaru dropped them due to poor sales.

This often the case with any unique model where it does not attract a buying crowd at full price but years later at less than half of new the idea looks good.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/16/12 6:46 a.m.

Holy crap these are still expensive.

octavious
octavious Reader
8/16/12 6:49 a.m.

http://cookeville.craigslist.org/cto/3146661254.html

Please no yellow and silver though. Ugh.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
8/16/12 7:24 a.m.

They are still expensive. I've always liked the thought of them, but find them impractical. I with they made them in a 7 foot bed, that coupled with the awd would be useful for me.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/16/12 7:44 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Holy crap these are still expensive.

Yeah, they have a premium compared to similar MSRP cars of the same vintage, including the Legacy. Much like the Honda Element, they seem to be favored by the lesbian crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/16/12 7:47 a.m.
digdug18 wrote: They are still expensive. I've always liked the thought of them, but find them impractical. I with they made them in a 7 foot bed, that coupled with the awd would be useful for me.

Yeah, the bed's way too tiny to do anything with.

Winston
Winston Reader
8/16/12 7:48 a.m.

I have an '06 Turbo. It's one of the best all-around vehicles I've ever had. Drives and rides like a car (so nice after a hard day at work), hauls small loads when you need it to even if they're dirty or stinky, and pulls like a train when you wanna go fast. I have the auto, though, so shifting into manual mode is required if you really want to get the most out of the engine.

Oh yeah, sucks down gas like a beast too. I get about 20 mpg combined, and the turbo takes premium

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
8/16/12 12:51 p.m.

Thanks guys...yeah, nice but spendy. Looks like I'll be stinkin up the van for now LOL!

mtn
mtn PowerDork
8/16/12 2:05 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
digdug18 wrote: They are still expensive. I've always liked the thought of them, but find them impractical. I with they made them in a 7 foot bed, that coupled with the awd would be useful for me.
Yeah, the bed's way too tiny to do anything with.

It'd be perfect for me--most of the time everything would fit in the bed. When it is too long, you can use that little opening that goes into the cab (but that takes out backseat passengers). Also, a lot of them came with that bed extender as well.

I'd expect that for 95% of people it'd be about right. Those that it is too small for probably need a full sized truck anyways.

Winston
Winston Reader
8/16/12 2:41 p.m.

Yeah, the bed is usually just fine for what your typical suburbanite hauls around. On different occasions I've put 12 bags of potting soil and mulch in it, 600 lbs of pavers, and a 4AGE engine with 2 C52 transmissions plus a few boxes of "extras." What it won't haul is a 4x8 sheet of plywood, though you might be able to get creative with the roof rack. I hauled a few pieces of 10' and 12' square metal tubing on the roof rack last weekend since I had backseat passengers and couldn't use the passthrough. It won't tow a trailer of any appreciable weight, though.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
8/16/12 2:48 p.m.
Winston wrote: Oh yeah, sucks down gas like a beast too. I get about 20 mpg combined, and the turbo takes premium

+

Winston wrote: It won't tow a trailer of any appreciable weight, though.

=where it fails for me.

I wonder if the non-turbo is any better on gas?

Winston
Winston Reader
8/16/12 3:16 p.m.

Yeah, it does. Still not great, though.

Fueleconomy.gov:

http://fueleconomy.gov/Feg/bymodel/2006_Subaru_Baja.shtml

Keven
Keven Reader
8/16/12 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Winston:

Define appreciable weight.

Winston
Winston Reader
8/16/12 4:30 p.m.

2000 lbs for the auto, 2400 lbs for the manual.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose New Reader
8/16/12 4:35 p.m.

Utilitarian, yes. Scooby Cool factor, yes Ugly as sin, yes.

Brat please. (some day, a brat shall be mine. some day.)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/12 5:14 p.m.

I always liked them. just could not afford one when they were new..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Am0WBalWjlx91e3EyD4ilFbrYYPm749gizAH95vieDx6bL0srvfNzKeKHLrOol2K