plance1
plance1 Dork
9/24/13 10:00 p.m.

Just tried to watch a video of a dyno run of the Coyote engine in the bimmer, gave up after being unable to fast forward my way out of the silly guitar music. Why do people post videos and load it up with stupid guitar music? Do we all think were "film-makers" these days? arrghhhhh!

I suggest the "Steve McQueen Bullitt Rule", while I loved the Lalo Schiffrin build-up, there was no silly music during the actual chase in our favorite movie now was there?

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/25/13 6:59 a.m.

I can't count the number of otherwise great videos that were ruined by crappy music. If I'm watching an automotive video, the exploding fuel is typically the only soundtrack I need.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
9/25/13 8:15 a.m.

common youtube problem. I was watching one video with classic race cars racing in france i believe. They had a turbine powered car and the famous mazda rotary (forget it's name) and they had annoying music playing. I watched that video because I wanted to HEAR the mazda and the turbine car. Luckily I found another video that had appropriate audio.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/25/13 8:33 a.m.
plance1 wrote: Just tried to watch a video of a dyno run of the Coyote engine in the bimmer, gave up after being unable to fast forward my way out of the silly guitar music. Why do people post videos and load it up with stupid guitar music? Do we all think were "film-makers" these days? arrghhhhh!

Yes, actually.....amateurs are now making short films. They're even doing it WITHOUT FORMAL TRAINING!!!!! [gasp] Lots of these little films suck, but some don't. More importantly, the people making them are..[wait for it]...making things (...as opposed to sitting around and consuming someone else's media.)

EDIT: one of my favorite short youtube films Inheritance

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
9/25/13 8:35 a.m.

Luckily there's a money back guarantee on your enjoyment.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/25/13 9:01 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: I can't count the number of otherwise great videos that were ruined by crappy music. If I'm watching an automotive video, the exploding fuel is typically the only soundtrack I need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOGhuhC4AF0

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
9/25/13 10:57 a.m.

Andy Warhol nailed it.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/25/13 11:03 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
plance1 wrote: Just tried to watch a video of a dyno run of the Coyote engine in the bimmer, gave up after being unable to fast forward my way out of the silly guitar music. Why do people post videos and load it up with stupid guitar music? Do we all think were "film-makers" these days? arrghhhhh!
Yes, actually.....amateurs are now making short films. They're even doing it WITHOUT FORMAL TRAINING!!!!! [gasp] Lots of these little films suck, but some don't. More importantly, the people making them are..[wait for it]...making things (...as opposed to sitting around and consuming someone else's media.) EDIT: one of my favorite short youtube films Inheritance

yes, exactly! without formal training and it shows. By the way, when you're on a free forum you're not "consuming" anything. I clicked on your link but was bored after 3 to 4 seconds. I fast forwarded and got to some form of car chase, but the part I clicked on had some girl driver talking while she was driving. yawn. whoever made this would typically be working the counter at blockbuster pretending they are the next Quentin Tarentino. This confirms what I was getting at with my original post and we saw this with the internet: Everyone thinks they have something important to say, so everyone has a blog, everyone thinks they are a celebrity so everyone thinks they deserve a reality show, everyone has a gopro camera so they think they are "film-makers" lol.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/25/13 11:55 a.m.
plance1 wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
plance1 wrote: Why do people post videos and load it up with stupid guitar music? Do we all think were "film-makers" these days? arrghhhhh!
Yes, actually.....amateurs are now making short films. They're even doing it WITHOUT FORMAL TRAINING!!!!! [gasp] Lots of these little films suck, but some don't. More importantly, the people making them are..[wait for it]...making things (...as opposed to sitting around and consuming someone else's media.) EDIT: one of my favorite short youtube films Inheritance
yes, exactly! without formal training and it shows.

You don't need to go to juilliard to be a musician.

plance1 wrote: By the way, when you're on a free forum you're not "consuming" anything.

When you're eating free food, you're consuming something. Just because you didn't pay for the privileged of doing so does not mean you are not consuming.

plance1 wrote: I clicked on your link but was bored after 3 to 4 seconds.

Isn't it great to be in an era when you can move on to the next video and watch what you really like, because so many people are producers? It gives so many choices to consumers.

If there's a shortage of videos with the absence of music, upload some that fit your needs.....unless you don't have enough training to make something you enjoy, of course.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/13 12:04 p.m.

It's easier to overlay music than it is to match sound levels. It can make things more exciting, too - at least in the mind of the maker.

I've used music a couple of times, usually when the sound on the video is unusable or I'm splicing together a bunch of different clips. Typically, however, I'll use the raw engine noise because that's what car guys like. Although it can get boring after 3-4 seconds.

Plance, if you can't handle 3-4 seconds you must be disappointed a lot. But this is the internet, so your opinion is important

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/25/13 4:46 p.m.

well I saw the video was 6 minutes and I wasn't going to waste 6 mins of my life on something that I could tell after a few seconds was pretty lame.

just one man's opinion, now I gotta go and grab my checkbook to send GRM some $ for expressing it apparently.

Sounds like I struck a nerve with a budding film student or something.

All I know is I'm a car guy, I like engine sounds, not godawful music or contrived, silly videos that a handful of people will watch.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/25/13 5:10 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I can't count the number of otherwise great videos that were ruined by crappy music. If I'm watching an automotive video, the exploding fuel is typically the only soundtrack I need.

Yeah, I see your point. I love that movie and am glad they let you hear the Muira and mini's over the music. That Muira is amazing!!!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/25/13 5:15 p.m.
plance1 wrote: All I know is I'm a car guy, I like engine sounds, not godawful music or contrived, silly videos that a handful of people will watch.

But how dare you voice that! I mean, why would you lament the absence of engine sounds, no wait, the addition of music OVER the engine sounds on a forum like GrassrootsCrocheting and expect others NOT to jump on you for having an opinion?
You should post that though on a forum full of gear-heads and racers. I bet you'd get some support there, not get ripped on because you chose not to like something.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
9/25/13 5:31 p.m.

This raises an interesting point for the future however. Should electric vehicles become the norm and the symphony of explosions goes with it. Will the soundtrack overlay become more welcome?

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
9/25/13 5:37 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote: This raises an interesting point for the future however. Should electric vehicles become the norm and the symphony of explosions goes with it. Will the soundtrack overlay become more welcome?

Electric cars make noise. Watch videos of the EV Pikes Peak racers or the upcoming Formula E and you'll hear cool gearhead noises. Not exploding dinosaur juice and not nearly as ear-piercing, but still not silent and IMO very cool.

Bryce

Keith Tanner
9/25/13 5:40 p.m.

I dunno, high electricity discharges sound pretty darn cool. bbzzzZZZZZTTTTPOW!

For anyone who wants pure, raw engine sounds, go ahead and check out the Targamiata channel. There's one video with music and 107 without.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/13 5:42 p.m.

In reply to McTinkerson:

Not unless and until they go silent, and then maybe they'll just turn the wind and tire noise up.

In the meantime, electric vehicles can make a pretty compelling sound, if quite different from ICE: Kill A Cycle. (I set the link to just before launch so nobody gets bored)

Regarding the soundtrack thing: When it's video of a car or bike, I do want to hear just the vehicle for at least a bit. If you're trying to show off the subject of the video, why pick music that a substantial number of people won't like, and which isn't related?

On the other hand, I'm stoked that so many people who want to make films can do so. Yes, most of it will be crap. Some people will get better. Some people will quit. Some people will be unexpectedly awesome from the start, and others will consistently make crap their whole lives. But why shouldn't anybody who wants to make movies (or cars, or music, or pasta) get to do so? Feel free to move on after four seconds, but don't knock them for having a go...

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/25/13 5:44 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Yeah, I see your point. I love that movie and am glad they let you hear the Muira and mini's over the music. That Muira is amazing!!!

Oh, I must need to re-watch that clip. I didn't hear any Muiras.

The mini sounds are present, but they're down in the mix, and the the music is just as loud if not more so It's definitely not what the plance1 described as "no silly music during the actual chase in our favorite movie"

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
9/25/13 5:54 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Oh, I must need to re-watch that clip. I didn't hear any Muiras. The mini sounds are present, but they're down in the mix, and the the music is just as loud if not more so It's definitely not what the plance1 described as "no silly music during the actual chase in our favorite movie"

Sorry, no Muira in that clip. That was in the opening credits. Check it out There's some goofy music I could do without, but at least you can hear it. And the music doesn't start until AFTER a DELICIOUS blipped downshift and stops right before....well...if you've not seen it I won't make you cry.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/25/13 6:54 p.m.

I think we may have found something we agree on, the italian job is cool, its a real movie, made by people who make movies for a living with good actors and an actual singer who has a good voice.... but getting back to my original point, when you post a video of youtube quality and you waste time inserting the sounds of white snake over the glorious sounds of your 5.0 liter, then you've got your priorities alittle askew and its time to stop cutting class at film school.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/25/13 7:06 p.m.

The simple answer is that recording decent video is pretty easy these days, but recording decent sound is still both not a priority for consumer gear manufacturers and technically challenging for the average camera jockey. So instead of a soundtrack of wind, hum and distortion, they lay some sweet ass Kenny Loggins over the video and call it a day.

Proper use of proper music can turn an otherwise mediocre visual into something compelling, and good images into something transcendent. Easier said than done, though.

jg

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/25/13 8:00 p.m.
plance1 wrote: but getting back to my original point, when you post a video of youtube quality and you waste time inserting the sounds of white snake over the glorious sounds of your 5.0 liter, then you've got your priorities alittle askew and its time to stop cutting class at film school.

That would be true if the goal is to interest you in the video. That's not true if, OTOH, the people who made the video did so as a form of entertainment to themselves.

I would rather see people creating something than have them consume what others create. If they make rubbish, I'm fully capable of ignoring them and watching something else, just like I do with most professionally made media (i.e. I don't care for the majority of real movies, made by actors and professional filmmakers. Just because I'm told by marketers that this is The Next Big Thing does not mean that I will find it valuable, )

There's also what JG said, due to the limitations of consumer grade equipment, it is very possible that the film's audio is wind noise instead of the "glorious sounds of your 5.0 liter". If there are decent engine sounds, though, certainly use them. Even relatively crude video making software like Windows Movie Maker give you the ability to adjust the level of a sound track so other sounds are still audible.

My complaint was not that you want to hear engine noises. I just think that, in general, we should help people to improve their product instead of talking smack about what they're doing. My attitude is that I should teach/coach, lead by example (i.e. show them how it is done), or watch something else and STFU. I try very hard - and don't always succeed - to avoid snarky complaints about other people's stuff.....they do almost nothing to make the world a better place.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
9/25/13 9:11 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: So instead of a soundtrack of wind, hum and distortion, they lay some sweet ass Kenny Loggins over the video and call it a day.

And when they do violating a number of different "copyright" laws. A few years ago when I was doing a bunch of video that was always a "hot topic" on the video forums.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/25/13 9:37 p.m.

Youtube has made that copyright infringement unnecessary.....the audioswap will let you use music from a limited number of songs that is made available for that purpose. Of course, they swap out all the audio, instead of allowing you to adjust levels (...thus creating the no-engine-sounds situation plance1 is annoyed by.) I've sometimes wondered how youtube would respond to downloading a track that is available via audioswap and then using it in a video where you adjust levels.

Keith Tanner
9/26/13 9:55 a.m.

A good example of why "just engine sounds" doesn't always work. Warning, you will have to watch 15 seconds of video before the problem becomes apparent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0OANT-noXU

Another reason. Turns out one of the GoPros had a dead mic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcfNbU55pac

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kf1JSDC9Z7pQRGdMplMsT6LmNxBXImmGlh2lQ0VtGaoRcMr6OLob0Ya7j49IGhiA