confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
6/19/08 3:35 p.m.

Hey guys! As writers, I'm sure you like to hear about what your readers want to read about. Maybe that's one reason this forum is here. Even if you don't care what we want to read, I think we could offer some interesting suggestions and then you could either tell us why it doesn't fit, that you already wrote about it, or that it's a good idea and that you might write about it in the future.

What about an engine build-up? Maybe something that revs into the stratosphere - you could focus on building a fast engine with a crazy-high redline to put into a Locost with a budget of $2,000 (for the engine, I mean). You could teach us the ins and outs of what makes some engines capable of revving to 9,000 RPMs while my Miata engine will fall apart by 7,500. From what I remember, many of your articles focus on cars as a whole, tires, and the like - which is fantastic, of course. I cannot recall any engine builds (but that may be my memory fading). Maybe it fits, maybe it doesn't. Just an idea.

OK, someone else say something now.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/19/08 3:41 p.m.

I've always wondered how to rebuild/build up a transmission too...

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/08 4:10 p.m.

Well there is also a Reader's Poll you can fill out on the front page someplace, not sure if there is a comments section or not

I'd like more articles on driving tips. Perhaps something on how to get people in our lives more interested in car-related activities (seems to be a big issue for some of us)

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/19/08 4:15 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/survey/

And yes, there's plenty of places for comments.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/19/08 4:45 p.m.

I honestly like to read the technical side of car building.

Typical article:

We got this car, so we sourced [insert name brand] coil-overs and installed them with [insert name brand] tires and [insert name brand wheels]. It handles awesome now! Then we put on this intake and exhaust, look how much power we made: [dyno plot]. This car is the best.

I want to see something like:

We got this car. This is our goal: [goal]. We did this research: [research] and found that this is what works best. Here are the suspension calculations: [chart showing load transfer, camber gain, natural frequency, etc] or powertrain [chart showing predicted powerband, gearing, shiftpoints, powerband overlap, etc]. Then we did the stuff, and tested [test results] and tuned [changes] and tested again [test results].

I LOVE the approach to tire testing (although I wish it were slightly more technical), but I rarely see that approach anywhere else in the magazine :(

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/19/08 4:57 p.m.

I love comparos of different parts complete with dynos/sound levels/times/whatevers

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/19/08 5:20 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I love comparos of different parts complete with dynos/sound levels/times/whatevers

That is exactly what I hate. Unless I happen to be modifying that particular vehicle (which I assure you I'm not), that does me no good. What do I care which intake makes the most power on a 91 Civic Si? Leave that to Sport Compact Car. Its something they do constantly and do well. Reading the technical side behind the tuning/setup helps one learn about preparing their own vehicle if its even remotely similar.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/08 5:33 p.m.

Well, we've had all sorts of customers mention the catalytic converter shootout that took place on the STS2 Miata recently. But I do have to agree, they're not of great interest to me personally.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/19/08 5:45 p.m.

I will (unbelievably) disagree. Even though the car in question may not be relevent to your life, the data often is. If a hi-flo cat or polished stainless laser etched blingo muffler only makes 6 hp on one car, chances are it won't be markedly different on most others. I still reference the ancient comparo on A2 VW exhaust systems because the home built setup performed every bit as good (and usually better) than the super high dollar tuner parts. That's useful info. You have to actually read the articles and not just yawn and go "not a car I'm interested in". I used to make that mistake and now read pretty much everything.

I also once believed I'd never own a BMW too.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/19/08 5:45 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
carguy123 wrote: I love comparos of different parts complete with dynos/sound levels/times/whatevers
That is exactly what I hate. Unless I happen to be modifying that particular vehicle (which I assure you I'm not), that does me no good. What do I care which intake makes the most power on a 91 Civic Si? Leave that to Sport Compact Car. Its something they do constantly and do well. Reading the technical side behind the tuning/setup helps one learn about preparing their own vehicle if its even remotely similar.

Ditto. When doing technical articles on using a different balljoint or bushing for X vehicle, by all means dig into why it's better because it's changing roll centers by X amount or changing anti-dive by X to improve Y, heck, I'm an enginerd so if you toss some math in there that's even better...I love that kind of stuff, even if I've seen it before. Doing vehicle specific bolt-ons doesn't seem very grassroots. Showing the all new XtraMAX short shifter, CNCd from pure unobtanium, a radically wicked new upgrade for your Fociata36-R doesn't do much for anybody unless they own that. There was an article a while back that I liked that showed 10 changes (from tire pressure to whole suspension swaps) and charted the changes for each; while there were vehicle specific parts, they were really showing the relationship of gains...which showed that tires, tire pressure, and camber gave significant improvement, which would apply to any vehicle. IMO, showing how to improve stock style shifters (reducing bushing clearances with shims, changing shifters by cutting and rewelding, etc.) and how it improved the vehicle would be much better than comparing 6 kinds of aftermarket shifters for one type of car and how it improved that car.

I really like GRM, the grassroots part is my favorite, the motorsports part is my second favorite.

Bryce

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
6/19/08 6:02 p.m.

More Miata articles?

but seriously folks... I posted on the Craigslist thread about an article showcasing some of the loonieness on CL.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/19/08 8:31 p.m.

I learn a lot from those comparos even if I don't have that kind of car. There is a lot of data to be gleaned that can help you at unexpected times.

Very often that data has a direct use on my car since you get a feel for certain manufacturers quality control and you can learn if that 4-2-1 really produces a broader powerband and a 4-1 is better for top end.

Of course if you only read the articles that pertain to your specific vehicle I guess you can finish the mag in 10-15 minutes.

I read it cover to cover, even the articles that I think will never benefit me. It is amazing what I learn. Many times I have epiphanies and learn WHY 2+2 really does equal 16.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/19/08 10:03 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: I will (unbelievably) disagree. Even though the car in question may not be relevent to your life, the data often is. If a hi-flo cat or polished stainless laser etched blingo muffler only makes 6 hp on one car, chances are it won't be markedly different on most others.

If that's your philosophy, why read any of the comparos? Exhaust system tests have been done before. So have intakes. Since, chances are it wont be different on other cars, its not necessary. If you are going to do a test like that, give us some more detail. Why does one muffler make more power than the other? Different flow design? Muffler volume? Perforation characteristics? What does it weigh? That kind of stuff transfers over. Because brand/model muffler X makes the most (or least) power on GRM's 150k mile project car Y doesn't reflect how that brand/model will perform on my car. But with the other relevant data, I can collect data from other manufacturers and use the test as a good basis for my decision.

carguy123 wrote: I learn a lot from those comparos even if I don't have that kind of car. There is a lot of data to be gleaned that can help you at unexpected times. Very often that data has a direct use on my car since you get a feel for certain manufacturers quality control and you can learn if that 4-2-1 really produces a broader powerband and a 4-1 is better for top end.

I understand where you are coming from, but I like to see data to back it up. Are both the headers designed by the same company? What is different about them, and why? Maybe one of them uses a unique collector? Maybe one was designed with poorly primary lengths? If no data is provided, reading tests of mufflers/intakes/exhausts/[insert bolt on here] can get really really redundant. May as well call the magazine Dyno Monthly.

Again, I realize nobody is going to test performance parts for a Saturn, and frankly, I don't care. But reading dyno comparos of other vehicles helps me out in no way whatsoever. Reading bolt on suspension installs doesn't either. Reading articles where changes are made, tested, more changes are made, then tested again are extremely beneficial. Especially when the details of the testing are discussed.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/08 8:30 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:

+1

OH BTW I want to see someone try to make a Smart Fortwo handle properly and go fast! That would be an awesome article! I'm thinking some coilovers, a stiffer rear sway bar and some engine mods would make it a NICE car.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
6/20/08 7:17 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I honestly like to read the technical side of car building. Typical article: We got this car, so we sourced [insert name brand] coil-overs and installed them with [insert name brand] tires and [insert name brand wheels]. It handles awesome now! Then we put on this intake and exhaust, look how much power we made: [dyno plot]. This car is the best. I want to see something like: We got this car. This is our goal: [goal]. We did this research: [research] and found that this is what works best. Here are the suspension calculations: [chart showing load transfer, camber gain, natural frequency, etc] or powertrain [chart showing predicted powerband, gearing, shiftpoints, powerband overlap, etc]. Then we did the stuff, and tested [test results] and tuned [changes] and tested again [test results]. I LOVE the approach to tire testing (although I wish it were slightly more technical), but I rarely see that approach anywhere else in the magazine :(

I agree

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2IvW71tFuKi2aHy5acvVmoyDnvXa8VT9hDuRUdc7XrVmmML1s1LjCJKocn7Pc1yD