Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/30/13 8:03 p.m.

And I can't find a good way to keep it up short of duct tape or just removing. I'm hoping for a better solution than either of those.

Tried velcro with a super-sticky foam on each piece to the headliner and visor, worked for about a week. Just now I tried a big straight pin through the velcro pieces and fabric on each side to reinforce. Nope, the pin barely went through once, let alone a few times.

Any ideas? (Yes it's the MR2, but driving to/from events facing the sun would be a bitch without the visors.)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/13 8:14 p.m.

Ebay a replacement?

JBWeld around the metal?

Hot glue a strip of fabric onto the visor, leave a 6" strip past the end, attach velcro to that and the roof and use that?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/13 8:30 p.m.

Well you covered the only two suggestions I had in the first sentence.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
7/30/13 8:59 p.m.

Is Sun Visor drunk?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/31/13 4:40 a.m.

I don't know the MR2 sunvisor specifically, but virtually all of them have a curled piece of metal, usually steel, in the visor itself, and count on friction to hold the visor in position.

So pulling the visor off the arm and carefully squashing the friction section usually helps it to stay up.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/13 5:51 a.m.

Can you jam a toothpick in tube?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/31/13 6:40 a.m.

Do you have a pic?

A long time ago I was having that trouble with a Nissan Hardbody. It was a 'metal rod through the visor' type. I could not find any visors (the vinyl part) in decent shape. It was bugging me, on ebay they were going for $40 or something ridiculous for each. In the JY they were all crap.

I then found that I could pull a random visor off of the same design, from any vehicle, slide out the rod, and slide the rod into my existing visor. Better functionality, same awesome vinyl visor. You may wish to try it, it was super cheap this way, too.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/31/13 6:58 a.m.

It looks like a metal rod shoved inside the cardboard (guessing) covered fabric, and I did see a screw on the end. Think I'll try removing it tonight after work & see what this friction section you speak of looks like. Otherwise I'll try a toothpick. Cool.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/13 7:03 a.m.

Subscribing to this thread. I have a visor with such a problem on my sammy and had one with the same problem on my 'rolla, until I got a new one by purchasing an entire vehicle.

All the descriptions of the friction hinge mechanism are accurate and so far I've found no way to repair them.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
7/31/13 7:07 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: A long time ago I was having that trouble with a Nissan Hardbody. It was a 'metal rod through the visor' type. I could not find any visors (the vinyl part) in decent shape. It was bugging me, on ebay they were going for $40 or something ridiculous for each. In the JY they were all crap.

I'm going through the exact same thing right now with mine.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/31/13 7:09 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
tuna55 wrote: A long time ago I was having that trouble with a Nissan Hardbody. It was a 'metal rod through the visor' type. I could not find any visors (the vinyl part) in decent shape. It was bugging me, on ebay they were going for $40 or something ridiculous for each. In the JY they were all crap.
I'm going through the exact same thing right now with mine.

pull your rod off, have the JY tag your visor, walk through until you find a good fit, profit!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/13 8:35 a.m.

even the cardboard ones should have a metal tab or something inside to hold onto the arm. Find it by feeling along the edge and crimp it?

series8217
series8217 New Reader
7/31/13 3:20 p.m.

Is the metal rod spinning in the mount, or is the sunvisor spinning on the rod? Don't neglect investigating the former... that's how all the Fiero sunvisors start to fail. Sometimes you can squirt some epoxy in there to get it to hold. Another option is to stake it.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/31/13 7:40 p.m.

I couldn't get the visor off the rod itself, and didn't feel anything inside to crimp/bend anymore than it was. Took the screw out of the end of the visor near the mount and it flopped around more than Bob Dole.

But, while the screw was out I shoved two toothpicks in the end as far as possible, and forced the screw back in. Feels pretty snug, first drive will say if successful. Probably Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/13 8:50 p.m.

...my fair lady.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do feel better now.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
7/31/13 9:05 p.m.

Go to the local salvage yard and check around. Yes it will be difficult to find an MR2 but there may be other models of Toyota sun visors that fit. At my Pick -n- Pull they charge $8.00 for a pair of visors. Also as mentioned in a previous post you can probably find some on Ebay but of course you will pay quite a bit more there. Sagging visors are a problem on older cars especially if they have been used a lot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6wT7TTkoCfbYWi6bEcDE1CaWkBCVnxwZKxCZcmNx1DlANMLMUGS1mie1GBSYUti7