Alan Cesar Associate Editor
July 13, 2012 9:24 a.m.

My Miata now wears these stiffer motor mounts from Good-Win Racing. After a few hundred miles of breaking in, they're not very harsh at all. Even my girlfriend noticed the improved shifter feel and clutch takeup.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-miata2/stiff-mounts-miata/

92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
July 13, 2012 9:27 a.m.

Would you still recommend these if you were to be embarking on a 6000 mile trip in a Miata next year?

I have a lot of slop in my car that needs to be taken care of. I just can't decide between the Mazda Motorsports units or something a bit stiffer like these or any of the other options.

July 13, 2012 10:02 a.m.

6000 miles is a long way to go in an NA6 Miata, stiff mounts or not.

I'm tempted to say go for it, but lemme go on a bit of a longer drive at interstate speed. I'll get back to you.

July 13, 2012 10:05 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: 6000 miles is a long way to go in an NA6 Miata, stiff mounts or not. I'm tempted to say go for it, but lemme go on a bit of a longer drive at interstate speed. I'll get back to you.

Sorry, mine's an MSM and already has a bit of an exhaust drone.

Doubt highway RPMs is much better than the NA6 anyways, this transmission is stupid. I already did 3000 miles in 3.5 days with it, but that was a hammer haul, not a 3 week trip.

Keith MegaDork
July 13, 2012 10:12 a.m.

I've run stock and Mazda Comp units in my own car. If you run with the top up, the extra NVH from the stiffer mounts isn't all that pleasant. My car has a hardtop pretty much permanently installed, and I pulled the Mazda Comp ones out again after about two weeks. That was for my drive to work, I definitely wouldn't want them for a 6000 mile road trip. New factory units are affordable and the most comfortable. The correct choice for a toy car or one that lives with the top off most of the time will be different. We get varying feedback from customers with the Mazda Comp units depending on their expectations.

We tried a set of the AWR poly units (the ones that Good-Win sells) on our supercharged NC and did not feel they were suitable for a street car. Extreme NVH. Never tried them on an NA like Alan's car though.

It's important to note that any comparisons should be between healthy stock mounts and aftermarket ones. I've been starting to pay more attention to the mounts coming off cars, and this is the sort of thing I'm finding - it came off a 60,000 mile 2004.

July 13, 2012 10:16 a.m.

Thanks Keith, i was a bit curious about how it would affect a convertible specifically.

I run 98 duro mounts all around in the MX6 and it's entirely liveable, but it's also about as different of a car from the Miata as you can get.

I'd be ok with giving up some comfort vs what i have now with the MSM, but i'd say i'd tolerate only about 20% less.

EvanB UberDork
July 13, 2012 11:40 a.m.

I have the motorsports mounts in mine, I haven't really noticed much additional NVH over the stock shot mounts but my Miata is pretty harsh anyway.

I did just put the poly mounts in the diff, it is much tighter now.

July 25, 2012 10:41 a.m.

Hey Alan any update on the mounts? Taken any highway trips in it?

The driveline in my car is moving around so much now that it's hard to shift and i'm thinking about doing these and some poly diff mounts at the same time i rebuild my shifter.

July 30, 2012 3:38 a.m.

Finally got it on a trek this weekend - 1.5 hours each way to a nearby track. Totally mild, feels barely different than stock at highway revs. I'd have no qualms about taking this on a long trip -- well, the stiff mounts wouldn't stop me, anyway. The rearview mirror vibrates with the engine at 3000 rpm, but that's the only higher-rev complaint. I'd guess you'll find something else that begins resonating at certain revs.

Again, this is on an NA6. If you go for these, do let us know how they feel in your car.

July 30, 2012 8:57 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Finally got it on a trek this weekend - 1.5 hours each way to a nearby track. Totally mild, feels barely different than stock at highway revs. I'd have no qualms about taking this on a long trip -- well, the stiff mounts wouldn't stop me, anyway. The rearview mirror vibrates with the engine at 3000 rpm, but that's the only higher-rev complaint. I'd guess you'll find something else that begins resonating at certain revs. Again, this is on an NA6. If you go for these, do let us know how they feel in your car.

That's good enough for me, sir! I'm not worried about around town at all, it can vibrate all it wants.

I'll be ordering these in August for sure! I appreciate it!

And will do on reviewing. I'll be so excited to be able to hit 3rd gear again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

2 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

2 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

3 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

4 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

4 days ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

4 days ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

5 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

6 days ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

Chris Albin’s Flying VW Golf: What Really Happened?

1 week ago in News

What really happened to send Chris Albin's VW Golf flying?

Drive Cars From the Lane Motor Museum Collection

1 week ago in News

Love older, maybe slightly weirder cars? This event is for you.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Cu3o8lujL2CZY5Irg7NfW42aXTKCHBJu