1 2
gtx405
gtx405
5/13/13 1:13 p.m.

OVATROL ?

anjaloveshervw
anjaloveshervw Reader
5/13/13 1:21 p.m.
procainestart wrote: I'm looking for a very thick, almost waxy grease to use beneath the press-fit plastic wheel arch trim on my car's wheelwells; it's to keep rust at bay. The stuff is an off-white color and the consistency of butter. Any ideas what this stuff might generically be called?

One of my friends that lives on the East Coast will steam clean and then spray Tranny fluid on the underside of his cars at the beginning of each winter.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
5/13/13 3:41 p.m.

I seem to recall reading a homebrew recipe for something like this; it was one part each paraffin, boiled linseed oil, and WD-40. Melt the paraffin (safely, please), add the other stuff, and spray on. Never tried it but it seemed a reasonable mix for the purpose - the BLO should give it some extra durability once it sets up.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/13/13 4:18 p.m.

Eastwood Anti Rust meets the OP's description of 'off white with consistency of butter'. I used it on the J-H when I replaced the rockers.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/13 5:00 p.m.

Fluid-film is what the local plow guys I know use on their plow trucks: http://www.fluid-film.com/

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/13/13 6:15 p.m.
gtx405 wrote: OVATROL ?

Zombie canoe -atrol?

Onetrillionrpm
Onetrillionrpm New Reader
5/13/13 9:22 p.m.

Ams oil makes something called mp metal protector. Works great by the way.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
5/13/13 9:54 p.m.

I use texaco bridge grease. I believe its from the 70's. Scoop of that in a old pot, some varsol and heat to mix. Careful what it gets on, doesn't come off easy. I run it through a cheaper harbor freight gravity feed gun.

Its the consistency of ice cream in its raw form. I recently did a friends truck and added a bit of tremclad black to the mix in order to hide some of the underside surface rust. The first car I did it to was a VW jetta 6 years ago, it's still on the car and as thick as ever... no rust either.

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
5/13/13 10:03 p.m.

Something like this?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kU7QdNVVdvWJrGTi0AyjyxtsLxPhl6WDSQqRQoUmyXWgaTEzkXz4qdm6xILyEXrM