TheV8Kid New Reader
7/17/12 7:52 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Thanks for all of the tips!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/12 8:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
patgizz wrote: i always wondered about using those t-bird turbos for a draw through carb setup.
(off-topic alert) The original Ford 2.3T (ala Mustang GT Turbo, etc) was a 2.3 Lima with a turbo and a draw-through carb. To say it didn't work well would be an affront to humanity. The later EFI versions turbochargers do not adhere well to fuel going through them, either. You really want to do blow-through for it to work.

yeah that was a tired after work typo, i meant one of the m90's sucking fuel through it like an old school roots blower with a carb on top

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
7/18/12 9:13 p.m.

good work - keep it going - making it better than before with what you have or can use and be different is OK in my book

I think its damn cool

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/12 9:23 p.m.

I'm impressed. Is this your first post? AWESOME.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/12 7:40 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: regarding the bearings that everyone is so worried about- i thought these things were sealed and ran their own oil supply that no one knows they are supposed to change at some interval or another, which causes them to die a premature death from lack of maintenance. if that's the case, then what's the issue? and even if the blower doesn't have it's own oil supply, i'd think they'd want them sealed up, anyways, due to not wanting to suck oil into the intake tract.. also, the seals on the bearings would have to be hardened against gas fumes due to the gas fumes that would be present in the blower when the engine is shut off..

I just had my M62 apart (same design and use the same rebuild kit as an M90) There are four bearings in an Eaton. The two in the front I think are sealed and have their own oil supply in the snout of the supercharged. You should change this oil every 50K I think. The two bearings at the back that ARE NOT SEALED and rely on some funky blue grease to keep them lubed. The grease looks like the stuff used in outboard motor lower ends. It is these two bearings that I am worried about.

When you take your unit apart slide the impellers out of the housing carefully as not to damage the aluminum housing and you will see what I mean. On the plus side if you have a press they look easy to change.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
7/21/12 8:40 p.m.

This might end in flames, but it should be entertaining to watch.

dean1484
7/21/12 8:48 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: This might end in flames, but it should be entertaining to watch.

Why? I was just trying to clarify what I was talking about and the poster I quoted did not seem to understand what I was talking about. Hell I will call Eaton my self on monday to find out what they say about it as I really want to see the Nova get built and I would hate for the kid to spend all the time building it and then have this be an issue. I am also curious as to the answer my self now.

dean1484
7/21/12 9:03 p.m.

I was surfing looking for the answer but with out any luck but I did find an geo metro with a l.3l with an eaton M90 bolted to it.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46448

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
7/25/12 7:51 p.m.

Update Time!

My dad and I machined a spacer out of an old piece of roll bar tubing.

We drilled out the four bolt serpentine pulley off of a 2001-ish Camaro using an old pulley as a template.

This is the current plan for the belt configuration.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
7/25/12 7:53 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I'm impressed. Is this your first post? AWESOME.

No I made a post a few years back when we were working on my '63 Studebaker lark.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/25/12 8:20 p.m.

It pains me to try to talk you into something that might make yours and your dad's cars faster but: this would be the perfect opportunity for you guys to explore megasquirt.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/12 8:41 p.m.

I think you need longer bolts between the 90-deg carb adapter and the supercharger.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
7/25/12 8:58 p.m.

Based on the title of Supercharged Nova I expected 4agz or in other words the joint venture Chevy/Toyota that could be had with a 4age engine and combined with the MR2's supercharger.

Imagine my surprise.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
7/25/12 9:17 p.m.

Are you planning to run some sort of rev limiter? I have heard these really don't like going much above 4000 rpm.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
7/26/12 3:48 a.m.
...High school CNC shop...

Get off my lawn!

But seriously, that's super cool! I didn't get access to CNC machines until I was in college and even then it took some serious begging.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/26/12 8:56 a.m.

Fantastic project! Please keep us updated!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/12 1:14 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: I think you need longer bolts between the 90-deg carb adapter and the supercharger.

I agree. There should be more washers below the bolt head so as to ward off evil spirits.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
8/11/12 8:52 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Are you planning to run some sort of rev limiter? I have heard these really don't like going much above 4000 rpm.

We are running an MSD box with a rev limiter.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
8/11/12 9:27 a.m.

Another Update!

We're using the outside thread as the lip for the tubing.

I found that a thermostat housing that we had lying around fit the bolt holes on the 1 barrel intake manifold nearly perfectly.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
8/11/12 9:50 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Based on the title of Supercharged Nova I expected 4agz or in other words the joint venture Chevy/Toyota that could be had with a 4age engine and combined with the MR2's supercharger. Imagine my surprise.

I still have one of the 88 Twin Cam Novas I bought new and thought the same thing when I saw the thread the first time. If anyone has a MR2 supercharger they'd sell cheap please contact me.

Cool project, sorry for the slight hi-jack.

dean1484
8/11/12 11:00 a.m.

Your fab skills is impressive!!!! I am watching with great interest!!!

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/12/12 2:01 a.m.

The use of that thermostat housing makes me giddy. I love off-the-wall E36 M3 like that. Keep it up!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/12 11:15 a.m.
Vigo wrote: The use of that thermostat housing makes me giddy. I love off-the-wall E36 M3 like that. Keep it up!

I agree! Fantastic use of parts laying around...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid New Reader
10/20/12 4:55 p.m.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are still working on it. We had a few set backs, but we should be finishing it up soon.

Also could someone tell me how to move this post over to the builds section. I'm not sure if a moderator has to do it or not.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/20/12 6:09 p.m.

How did I miss this the first time around? Out-freakin'-standing!!!!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ziG8sW8W7bsHIABivCTlE2hPPbnWNdCDkYTHTclCMkb89b6nR5MQ6hNSUkxekZ6M