1 2
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/16/14 5:51 p.m.

So I hung out with my brother this weekend. While we hooned around in a rental E63 AMG, I remarked that I'd been thinking of supercharging my current 05 CTS-V rather than getting antsy to upgrade to a V2.

But when the booze wore off, I realized I'd have to upgrade the diff, motor mounts, injectors, etc etc etc at the same time. And as with any "upgrades" I'd get pennies on the dollar if I went to sell/trade.

...and then this pops up on CL today. A little more than half the miles mine has. Supercharged, on coilovers, the big pimpy 8.8 CS rear end conversion.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/4802508739.html

And now I'm scratching my head and wallet thinking if I de-(ummm, whats the US equivalent of rice?) de-potato-chipped it? And could snag it for closer to $20k, maybe it'd be a nice step toward the V2 while I save my pennies?

Or go with the 130k mile, stock devil I know(?) I dunno.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
12/16/14 6:14 p.m.

I've been wondering the same thing... They could be the worst or best idea for the sub 25k rowdy sedan. Coming off an ebola ridden german sedan, I have to answer the call of the japanese sport appliance...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/16/14 6:45 p.m.

Is there a reason for supercharging instead of turbo? There's about a million LS motors of various persuasions that have been turboed to great success. I've studied the issue a fair amount in regards to my 5.3 truck and turbo always seems to win.
The reason I haven't done it is the same as you mention, adding 200hp will require new transmission and rear end guts.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/16/14 7:17 p.m.

While I am a propenent of turbos for gofast, I prefer supercharger noises, especially from a big nasty twin screw. Now a caddy making big nasty twin screw noises......

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/16/14 7:22 p.m.

I"m wondering about where you go to rent an E63 AMG...I don't see any of those when I go past the Enterprise rental place down the street.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/14 7:26 p.m.

What would an early V2 cost you? If in the same ballpark, I'd save your $$$ for now and go straight to the newer platform.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/16/14 7:30 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I"m wondering about where you go to rent an E63 AMG...I don't see any of those when I go past the Enterprise rental place down the street.

Hertz. 911, C7, etc are also on the menu. EDIT: And duh. CTS-V, of course.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/16/14 7:31 p.m.

Early V2 sedans are 30-35 the last I looked. They're coming down.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/16/14 7:34 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: What would an early V2 cost you? If in the same ballpark, I'd save your $$$ for now and go straight to the newer platform.

Not in the same ballpark. I've seen them in the 30's, but usually with higher miles. Typically 40-50 locally.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/16/14 7:39 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Is there a reason for supercharging instead of turbo? There's about a million LS motors of various persuasions that have been turboed to great success. I've studied the issue a fair amount in regards to my 5.3 truck and turbo always seems to win. The reason I haven't done it is the same as you mention, adding 200hp will require new transmission and rear end guts.

If I was starting from scratch, hell yes I'd go turbo, but then I'd be the guy two years from now trying to sell his "X dollars invested" car for a fraction of "X." Whereas, for the right price, I could drive something like this for a year or two and not lose any money...in theory.

Just noodling.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/14 7:45 p.m.

i wouldn't de-anything that except put un-tinted tails back on for safety/looks. the rest is badass and pretty sinister.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/16/14 7:45 p.m.

There's a 2010 with 120k for $28k on auto trader right now.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/16/14 8:25 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: There's a 2010 with 120k for $28k on auto trader right now.

Again. High miles. Not interested in a former Hertz rental that's seen 30k miles a year 1/4 mile at a time.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
12/16/14 10:03 p.m.

E60 M5's are available close to that price range. I don't see how that wouldn't be a superior choice.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
12/16/14 10:23 p.m.

That car is a good deal. The CS rear end conversion is at least $5g on its own if I recall from when I was looking at these. There are tons of these around with the stock diff just waiting to explode. The fact that this one was done right implies something to me about the overall build quality. Love it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/14 10:24 p.m.

Because the E60 m5 makes too many sexy noises.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
12/16/14 10:43 p.m.
white_fly wrote: E60 M5's are available close to that price range. I don't see how that wouldn't be a superior choice.

I'd much rather have the supercharged caddy. I decided not long ago I want all my modern, non project, BMWs (cars and bikes) to have warranties or be toys I don't need to depend on at all.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/16/14 10:51 p.m.
doc_speeder wrote: That car is a good deal. The CS rear end conversion is at least $5g on its own if I recall from when I was looking at these. There are tons of these around with the stock diff just waiting to explode. The fact that this one was done right implies something to me about the overall build quality. Love it.

That was a pretty big deal for me too.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/16/14 10:52 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
white_fly wrote: E60 M5's are available close to that price range. I don't see how that wouldn't be a superior choice.
I'd much rather have the supercharged caddy. I decided not long ago I want all my modern, non project, BMWs (cars and bikes) to have warranties or be toys I don't need to depend on at all.

Agreed. No offense.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/16/14 10:53 p.m.

Upon further review and many beers. This is definitely a really.good bad idea. Do it. I would. Mama shovel will be OK.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/17/14 7:02 a.m.

I wouldnt. not at that price.

i'm still astounded at the command the v1's get.

the gto had a better rear end, the interior held up better and 2005+ had the ls2. they've been sub 15k for years now... oh and you could actually buy wheels for it. long as they were not over 9" wide...

vs the v1's proprietary bolt pattern etc, glass jaw dif, interior bits where the markings were like chalk and gone teh first time someone with a mild case of sweaty paw touched them...

heck 2005 vs 2005 with similar miles and the gto will be a few grand cheaper. I just do not get it.

that being said, love the v1 looks, it's the cost that's always kept me away.

25k on a car that's 10 years old? joo crazy! I dont care what mods it has done. (unless porsche or M...)

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
12/17/14 7:11 a.m.

Man that's a lot of black. I'd ditch the tails and put some silver wheels on it. But otherwise, as far as $$ invested, I think it's definitely a really good bad idea. I really wish those V1s had an interior more like a BMW than a Malibu, though...

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/14 8:06 a.m.

wow.... I like that....

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/17/14 9:14 a.m.

Ok Poop.....

If the CTS-V is a toy that you don't have to depend on---- go for it. Mod the Hell out of yours, or buy the one listed.

If you rely on the car as an actual daily transportation device, leave it mostly stock. It will be more reliable, easier to sell, totally sorted, and still fun. It's been a pretty bulletproof badass daily so far right? Why mess with a good thing? Ok, I get messing with it, but not TOTALLY reengineering it.

If your need for speed just can't be satisfied by this car, save your pennies and reward yourself in a few years buy upgrading to a newer supercharged version......and make it a wagon, just because. Then you can modify that one when you decide that 550hp isn't enough.

Hello I'm Joe and I'm a wet blanket....voice of reason, etc. Now returning to your regularly scheduled fantasy fest.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/17/14 9:46 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Ok Poop..... If your need for speed just can't be satisfied by this car, save your pennies and reward yourself in a few years buy upgrading to a newer supercharged version......and make it a wagon, just because. Then you can modify that one when you decide that 550hp isn't enough.

It's enough. I think so anyway. Spinning the rears from 30-55 with a load of groceries will never get old. The new ones could use a bit less weight though.
Have you looked at the STS-V? Auto only, but word on the street is they were faster off the line than the V1 cars. Super sleepers and not expensive the last time I looked.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AlsMVvHNue7xiNmaAnIZwZazb0t5ZqGSo1ba1c0m8dO9C2iMxYWfBvROKmgA2fnn