JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/3/16 3:42 p.m.

Thanks to the benefit of hindsight, most folks–at least those of us who have trimmed our mullets into more socially acceptable hairstyles–are willing to admit that the 1980s were a vast cultural wasteland. Nevertheless, there were glimmers of hope. Even as society was deep into coke, parachute pants, and jackets requiring “membership” in some unholy blood pact, automotive culture was …

Read the rest of the story

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/3/16 3:52 p.m.

I like it!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
3/3/16 4:35 p.m.

"My Celica ate your supra." It's on my car.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/16 5:58 p.m.

Those are great looking cars.

I have a brother who is a lot older than me. Back in 1983, he went on a week long ski trip with a bunch of friends from college. They all left their cars at my parents house. There was a new Supra, a new Celica, and a '74 BMW 2002tii. I spent the whole week staring at each and every deatail of those cars, and I'd love to own any one of them today. Especially a cream colored '74 tii with tan leather Recaros. It's the reason that I love big tail light 2002s.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/8/16 7:27 a.m.

Love it!

Powar
Powar UltraDork
3/8/16 7:34 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: "My Celica ate your supra." It's on my car.

Oh, man. Mine needs that.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
3/23/16 10:15 a.m.

Nice deal

stevos555
stevos555
4/4/16 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed Love this :

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
7/20/16 11:50 a.m.

I'm pretty late to this party, but I'd be interested to know what needed to be done to stuff all that rubber under the fenders. Can these really swallow that much rubber stock?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/20/16 1:16 p.m.
Matt B wrote: I'm pretty late to this party, but I'd be interested to know what needed to be done to stuff all that rubber under the fenders. Can these really swallow that much rubber stock?

I seem to remember 225/60/14 for the flair equipped models.....

Back in Pa... my wife owned one... she loved it....

Kartoffelbrei
Kartoffelbrei UltraDork
7/20/16 1:37 p.m.

But we had New Wave in the 80s!

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/20/16 10:54 p.m.
Kartoffelbrei wrote: But we had New Wave in the 80s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGD9i718kBU

I don't remember the 80s since I was a toddler but when I think of the 80s I think of this song for some reason. My parents liked E36 M3 like this and depeche mode.

I like 80s music but listen to non-hair metal mostly. Like Iron Maiden lol.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/20/16 10:57 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Nice deal

Karl if you still have this one shoot me a pm or email at cottonyzf at gmail.

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
4/16/18 5:30 p.m.

Fun article!  Don has done a great job with the car (I run in the same SCCA chapter as he does).  Always liked the styling.

When my '92 Taurus SHO was young (and totally stock) I did a track day (a.k.a. "school") at Sears Point when the BMW club needed more bodies to pay for the day.  The SHO was walking away from anything BMW that was similar displacement (stock-ish, not Dinans and such). I ended up spending much of track time "dicing" with a 2nd gen Supra of this ^ body style.  He had a bit in the corners and I got it all back on every straight.  We had great fun!  Particularly the part about passing Bimmers.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/16/18 5:48 p.m.

I love these!  People forget how much buzz they created when new.   Toyota was definitely on a roll in the '80's.

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
4/16/18 7:29 p.m.

that 1jz is amazingly volvo 240 engine bay shaped hmmmmmmm .... sorry I had an 88 mazda rx7 gxl spinning trochoids rule! . My 80' s cars were a slow step up ,82 graduated high school , got a 73 Pontiac L emans  2 door , gas got expen$ive got a Toyota corona wagon ,wagon died of rust ,got a 74 pinto ,went to grad school ,no car ,no money haha . got tiny money 78 gremlin 258 4 speed ,loved it , wife had vw rabbit she wanted a/c and auto traded gremmy for a nissan stanza for her ,i took the rabbit . graduated , got job traded rabbit in on an 85 golf . took golf to 188k miles sold it for 600$ took money plus more and bought a used 88 Mazda rx7 . loved that car kept it a long time 6 yrs  . got kids ,mazda too small for 3 kid second car duty , sold it ,got a 91  turbo saab 900 convertible . kept that past divorce until rust became terminal with no garage had 179k on it  , no 220 line ,no money . also had an 88 alfa milano for a beater ,i loved that alfa ,what a machine .I will get another milano someday .currently have an 89 volvo 240 383k on it , 1992 saab 900 s convert , and a recent pocket lint sub 1k  purchase of an 87 alfa spider veloce  hehehe , needed spark plugs was not starting . be excellent to one another ,party on dudes 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/18 8:26 p.m.

The Supra was a great car but for some reason I like the CelicaSupra before it better. Don’t know why. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/16/18 11:08 p.m.

Donald, would love to see this beautiful Mk2 at Supras In Vegas this September! Not sure if you'll see this or not, but if you do, bring her out... =)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sBgfD0h8Mwrbuywr3OHG89D64wvNGZjgeh1yob41ZhuPC92ovhVmwynEWUy7Slu1