1 2
smokindav
smokindav Reader
2/16/18 2:57 p.m.

Those are great all aluminum starting in ‘04. I want one terribly!

asoduk said:

Specific car in question is a 2005 XJ8 Vanden Plas with 60k miles. Black on some fancy name for tan leather. Being a 2005, it has the 6 speed auto. I haven't figured out with variant of chain tensioners it has yet.  I'm also not totally sure on what its worth...

So how bad are these things? I know about the tensioners and the suspension compressors.

Anyone else like big cats?

chuckles
chuckles Dork
2/16/18 3:15 p.m.

I watched one a couple of blocks from my home for several years. Never moving, in the weather, tires slowly going flat. I always meant to knock on the door and ask WTF? But I wouldn't have been serious about taking on such a project, even though it looked really nice, so I didn't intrude. Then there was a windstorm and a tree fell on it and now it's gone. Don't let this happen to you.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/18 3:43 p.m.

What could possibly go wrong?  It's a Jag, right?

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/16/18 6:16 p.m.
dean1484 said:

The Super V8  has about 4 inches added to it as compared to the regular XJ.  It also gets the supercharged 4.2.  All 4 inches is added for rear seat leg room.  You can see that the rear door is longer as is teh roof line.  Makes for a fantastic place to be as a passenger.  Since I would potentially have clients with me at times I am thinking that this would a great car.  Also my son is growing like a weed.  He is 12 and almost 5'11" tall (same as me).  I think he may have to the tall genes that are in the family so it would be great for him/us as well.

Ah yes, the Super V8... Basically the fusion of the XJR and the XJ8-L. I love the back seat of those with the entertainment system in the center arm rest. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/18 6:18 p.m.

I like to say owning a jag will make your life go right. 

Oh and for those that care you will not get the young college girls saying that you have a nice car. I found the lady’s that commented on my jag were much more refined and dare I say classy.  Many I think were in income brackets that were several multiples of mine. 

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/16/18 6:48 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I like to say owning a jag will make your life go right. 

Oh and for those that care you will not get the young college girls saying that you have a nice car. I found the lady’s that commented on my jag were much more refined and dare I say classy.  Many I think were in income brackets that were several multiples of mine. 

That was one of the biggest problems I had when I had the 05 S-Type.. and yea, it was the lowly S-Type. Everyone with the snide.. "Oh, you have a Jaaag". From work to neighbors... I finally decided a Chrysler 300C would be better. My wife didn't get it... so when her Van started rusting, she saw an R350 Mercedes and commented on how she thought it looked neat... Then she got to live with the "Oh, you have a Benz" BS. Needless to say our daily stable is now a Nissan Altima (hers) and a Dodge Grand Caravan (mine for now).

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
2/16/18 7:09 p.m.

Wow. I did not expect so many responses, and so many favorable responses!

The car I found is in PA at a Mercedes dealership. There are no photos online, but they do have a carfax and I was able to get some back and forth from a sales guy and the used car sales manager. The story is that they took it on trade and had it listed just until the next auction. After a couple of emails and 2 unanswered calls, I'm considering this being "ghosted" by the dealership.

Everyone's enthusiasm has me still excited about finding one. I'm personally not biased toward long or short body or blown vs unblown, but am after the 4.2 6-speed and aluminum body.

Hoping that the dealer was just really busy this week and couldn't get back to me though. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/18 7:19 p.m.

In reply to JOsworth :

Oh you own a Nissan and a dodge 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/16/18 8:46 p.m.

I did the tensioners and some of the other fairly annoying bits on a X308 XJR a while back.  I drove it a good bit both before and after the repairs. 

I would say, at the price they go far, there is not much point buying a lower model than the XJR unless you just really don't care about the power. 

I would also say that even if they do accelerate as well as a base c5, you'd never know it inside the Jag. It's fast but you'll feel like you're going a lot faster in the base c5 (driven both). If you want a car that provides dramatic effect you'd need to do intake and mufflers on the XJR to at least inject some noise to the experience. 

yupididit
2/16/18 9:40 p.m.

I'll probably end up with a x300 xjr next week. 

Then there will be 2 more generations to go cheeky

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
2/16/18 10:31 p.m.

When you guys are talking drivetrains here, 5 speed and 6 speed this and that, they are all automatic on these right?

Just curious. I flipped an 05(?) Xtype 5 speed manual that was pretty interesting but I had no intentions on keeping it. Just got it cheap.

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/17/18 4:01 a.m.
crankwalk said:

When you guys are talking drivetrains here, 5 speed and 6 speed this and that, they are all automatic on these right?

Just curious. I flipped an 05(?) Xtype 5 speed manual that was pretty interesting but I had no intentions on keeping it. Just got it cheap.

Yes, automatic. The 5 speed was a slightly problematic Ford unit. Jaguar then moved to a pretty darn stout ZF 6 speed auto. 

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/17/18 4:13 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to JOsworth :

Oh you own a Nissan and a dodge 

Yes, why?

I also have a 85 Dodge 600 convertible... the Dodge version of a Lebaron. My toy that has been with me for 24 years. 

I tend to jump around a lot with my daily drivers. Since 2003 my daily drivers have been:

2003 Honda Accord EX Coupe

2004 Honda Accord EX Coupe

2005 Jaguar S-Type

2007 Chrysler 300C

2010 Jeep Liberty Limited

2010 Honda Crosstour

2017 Dodge Grand Caravan

During that time my wife also had

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan

2006 Mercedes R350

2015 Nissan Altima

Since I cannot build a large collection like I would like to, I try and experience automotive diversity the best way I can. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/18 9:48 a.m.

@the OP. A jag isn’t a bad idea. This is a bad idea. And yes I am tempted to go look at it. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/204826146737711

yupididit
2/17/18 10:41 a.m.

In reply to JOsworth :

I was just messing with you because you seem to care what people say/think.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/18 5:25 p.m.
Stealthtercel said:

Can I just hijack this thread for a second?  I want to ask Robbie and yupididit what it's like driving a car with one windshield wiper.  Canada doesn't have year-round sunshine (I know: shocking, but true) so if one of these beasts were to one day find itself in my driveway, how would it be to see out of in the rain (or whatever)?

Works good enough in the rain and snow in Chicago. It's not the best woper ever because it leaves less pressure on some spots. But it moves FAST.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/17/18 5:52 p.m.

I kind of got from watching a recent episode of GT that in England Jags have the reputation of being the car of choice for shady characters.  I guess it's the same as old black Dodges used to be viewed in this country.  

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
2/18/18 3:02 p.m.
JOsworth said:
crankwalk said:

Yes, automatic. The 5 speed was a slightly problematic Ford unit. Jaguar then moved to a pretty darn stout ZF 6 speed auto. 

The S-Type started off with a Ford 5-speed (they shared a platform with the Lincoln LS and retro styled Thunderbird) before moving to the ZF 6 speed.  The XJs with the 4L naturally aspirated V8s came with a ZF 5 speed (also used by BMW and Audi) that has some issues, while the supercharged cars came with a Mercedes 5 speed that has been used in everything from Mercedes' twin turbo V12s down to the 4 cylinder sprinter vans, as well as RWD Dodge, Chrysler and Jeeps.  They're mostly trouble free except for a leaky o-ring that seems to be a common problem (and is a fairly easy, inexpensive fix).

JOsworth
JOsworth New Reader
2/18/18 3:26 p.m.
Schmidlap said:

The S-Type started off with a Ford 5-speed (they shared a platform with the Lincoln LS and retro styled Thunderbird) before moving to the ZF 6 speed.  The XJs with the 4L naturally aspirated V8s came with a ZF 5 speed (also used by BMW and Audi) that has some issues, while the supercharged cars came with a Mercedes 5 speed that has been used in everything from Mercedes' twin turbo V12s down to the 4 cylinder sprinter vans, as well as RWD Dodge, Chrysler and Jeeps.  They're mostly trouble free except for a leaky o-ring that seems to be a common problem (and is a fairly easy, inexpensive fix).

Thanks for that... I thought all along, like engines, the transmissions were common across the RWD platforms back then. Hence I assumed the Ford 5 Speed was also used in the XJ8. I guess the powertrain sharing didn't start until the X350 XJ.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
2/18/18 7:55 p.m.

If it can do Chicago, it can do Toronto.  Good to know.  Thanks, I appreciate it.

Please resume powertrain discussions.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
2/18/18 9:43 p.m.

The drivetrain is shared with full-size Range Rovers of the same era. The Jag 4.2/4.4 are supposed to be pretty stout, and the 6-speed auto is a 6HP by ZF. Lots of good forum resources for these and LRs. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/18 6:21 a.m.

In reply to JOsworth :

That rear center console looks perfect ... for my 3 year-old to spill a full cup of OJ in. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/19/18 9:38 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z5COU1fcdAPBkNjjDwBDA1DhwsjhfAVLMX43tqOOwIDuVOc5E4D8y1uCt1oHCnbd