CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
7/1/15 5:58 p.m.

My Dad has a 69 Ford Ranchero. It is in pretty good shape, but falls into the category of a nice driver and not a show car/truck. The bed however has some surface rust that he would like to get rid of. He's tried sanding it and painting with rustolium, but the rust comes back. Please note that niether he not I are any good at this sort of thing. That said, is there an easy way to take care or (or at least improve) this? Is there a good POR-15 product for this application? Would plasti-dip over the top of some type of rust inhibitor be an option? I'm just not sure what products are out there. Any help is appreciated!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/1/15 6:04 p.m.

Por15 and bedliner was my solution in the elky.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/1/15 10:10 p.m.

That's what POR was made for. Just remove loose scale and paint it on. You'll need to topcoat it, though, if you don't want it fading in the sun.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/1/15 10:33 p.m.

Rustoleum rusty metal primer, in the can, thin ~10% with mineral spirits and brush it on.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
7/1/15 10:59 p.m.

Rustbullet and Bedliner.

Rustbullet is lot less finicky to apply than POR15 and works just as well if not better. But you have to top coat it as well.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/2/15 6:29 a.m.

Wire wheel on an angle grinder to do the heavy lifting and then Chassis-Saver cause its POR only cheaper and meant for exactly what you describe. Then top-coat with bed-liner since it was made for the job.

No experience with Rust Bullet, so can't comment, but it might be the same deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4TwukjuiAR3p1TSPIW35HF9ieU3QYG4bqY1F3eI38SwYPmVJCZteaQcmuT69WKi5