David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/29/10 8:25 a.m.

Just so everyone doesn't think that I'm totally anti-SUV, I just found out that my friend's Toyota Hilux Surf was stolen. Yeah, it stings. He lives in Swaziland, and the truck was "kidnapped" while he was visiting Soweto. So, if we have any readers down there, be on the lookout.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/29/10 8:29 a.m.

I take it "Hilux Surf" is Swahili for "4Runner"?

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
6/29/10 8:39 a.m.

Africa is an appropriate place for an SUV. Downtown Orlando is not.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/10 8:42 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I take it "Hilux Surf" is Swahili for "4Runner"?

Pretty much the same thing. They're nice trucks too

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/29/10 8:45 a.m.

I have that exact vehicle, colour and everything. People can rail at me about SUVs all day long (they have). Get bent.

David, if a rust free cranberry Hilux Surf turns up in my neighborhood, I promise to kidnap it back.

Dan

David S. Wallens
6/29/10 11:13 a.m.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for it. So, tell me, how do you like yours?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/29/10 11:25 a.m.

I DD a full-size Bronco. I'm the last person that can talk E36 M3 about SUVs. (Though I'll replace it just as soon as I can find a high-revving, RWD fuel-sipper with a back seat that can fit a kid seat for $1k or less).

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
6/29/10 12:01 p.m.

DD a DiscoII and I really dig it. I would loooove a 3 row hot rod mid size ute that can tow. Don't seem to exist.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/29/10 1:14 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Africa is an appropriate place for an SUV. Downtown Orlando is not.

That's Johannesburg. The continent's got plenty of big cities. Africa isn't just one big sparsely-populated field

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
6/29/10 1:28 p.m.

That looks just like downtown Orlando!

However, the pic David posted at the top of the thread does not.

David S. Wallens
6/29/10 1:39 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: That looks just like downtown Orlando! However, the pic David posted at the top of the thread does not.

Lou, former Toyota Hilux owner, lives more in the sticks.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/29/10 1:55 p.m.

Ah, good choice of a rig then, though I wonder how the area is for sports cars. I think I'd crack if there weren't any nice twisty roads to drive.

I'm trying to find a link to that BMW that made it into the Guiness Book of World Records about ten years ago. It was located in South Africa and had this security system whereby if you tried pulling the door handle while it was activated, it would shoot six-foot fireballs on either side of the car. You wouldn't try to steal that one twice. He needs to make one of those.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/29/10 2:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Thanks for keeping an eye out for it. So, tell me, how do you like yours?

I like it. I don't use the four wheel peel often but it's nice knowing it's there. The only mod is a K&N air filter. Off the line it sounds like it's working like hell, eventually it gets up to highway speed. Cruise helps, I hold it at 72 - 76mph with no problems.

I towed the BatVan on a double axle trailer from wherever the tow vehicle broke, to Gainnesville no problem.

Rear seat folds down for junk. I've towed a 22 ft. i/o bowrider with it, no problem except getting up the slime covered ramp, had to use 4WD.

I bought mine in 1996 with 35,000 miles, just came off a lease. It has 180,000 on it now only because I have so many cars and don't use it much.

Rust is a concern (here).

Dan

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
6/29/10 4:18 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Africa is an appropriate place for an SUV. Downtown Orlando is not.
That's Johannesburg. The continent's got plenty of big cities. Africa isn't just one big sparsely-populated field

right. there's also sparsely populated jungles and deserts, too.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/29/10 7:45 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
JeepinMatt wrote:
right. there's also sparsely populated jungles and deserts, too.

No argument there. I was saying that it's too much of a blanket statement to say Africa is an appropriate place for an SUV anymore than you could say North America is an appropriate place for an SUV.

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/29/10 9:51 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I DD a full-size Bronco. I'm the last person that can talk E36 M3 about SUVs. (Though I'll replace it just as soon as I can find a high-revving, RWD fuel-sipper with a back seat that can fit a kid seat for $1k or less).

+1

I use a full-size Bronco for towing and winter DD duty. It really is a great truck, although I day dream about swapping in a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/30/10 10:29 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fLTHtKNpI2qB3kGxRnPibLzbZwf6I7QZUqoktnaC3fzMvgkGiz2FPJ3ADyc1PZuK