Those are rare in the States.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
11/28/13 6:58 a.m.

1buy my neon and I will

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/29/13 2:26 p.m.

I think i've tried to sell him my neon in the past and it didn't work.

But watch, i'll get it streetable with the new mods and then i won't want to sell it again. * rolls eyes at self *

Come to think of it, if dodge had made a 1g neon wagon.. holy crap. Lol.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/22/14 11:25 a.m.

Since I have a thing for reviving ancient threads, I thought I'd do this one. I'm going to check on the price of one of these in the wholesale lot at work today. I looked at it last night in the dark, and it looks pretty good. 2000, GL 1.8, 5 speed, only 62k miles. I'll keep you guys posted...seems like it might be a fun momentum autocrosser, plus a good DD.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/14 1:04 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Still more reliable than a BiTurbo.

My dead Grandpa is more reliable than a BiTurbo.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/14 1:05 p.m.

Oh and Because Wagon.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/22/14 1:09 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Since I have a thing for reviving ancient threads, I thought I'd do this one. I'm going to check on the price of one of these in the wholesale lot at work today. I looked at it last night in the dark, and it looks pretty good. 2000, GL 1.8, 5 speed, only 62k miles. I'll keep you guys posted...seems like it might be a fun momentum autocrosser, plus a good DD.

Check the front engine mounting points to the uni-body and check for lower rocker rust. If they're clean, then you're good to go. The drivetrain is bulletproof.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/22/14 2:23 p.m.

Should be able to get it for just under $1500. Only 61,3xxx miles, 5 speed, 1.8. Looks like a little surface rust underneath, I'll get it in the shop for a closer look. Rockers are solid.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/22/14 2:38 p.m.

If the rockers and rear wheel openings are solid, the engine mounting is likely as well. That would be a good buy.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
sethmeister4 wrote: Should be able to get it for just under $1500. Only 61,3xxx miles, 5 speed, 1.8. Looks like a little surface rust underneath, I'll get it in the shop for a closer look. Rockers are solid.

Watch for the front subframe, my collapsed and fully rusted out, and could not find a replacement.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork

I want a SX4 to go with the Samurai.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/22/14 2:56 p.m.

I have never ever seen a Kizashi in the metal. And I've even seen an imEv or iMev or or imEV whatever the hell ToRgO thing it's called.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/22/14 2:58 p.m.

I think all the other countries/continents got the good Suzukis. We ended up with the plane jane vanilla versions.

series8217
series8217 Reader
7/22/14 2:58 p.m.

My housemate from a few years back had a white 5-speed -- let's call it a 4+1 since it wouldn't stay in 5th unless you held it in -- Esteem wagon. It was a piece of crap, though it didn't ever actually stop running so I guess it has that going for it. He couldn't sell it for anything; I don't even think he was ultimately able to give it away to a real person, so off to the junkyard it went.

The styling looks like a loose copy of an '00 Legacy wagon, though both cars came out at about the same time.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/22/14 6:40 p.m.

Bobzilla, what's your experience experiences with these? Owned one, worked on them? Any performance parts available?

failboat
failboat UltraDork
7/22/14 6:51 p.m.
series8217 wrote: The styling looks like a loose copy of an '00 Legacy wagon, though both cars came out at about the same time.

Loose copy? It might be the most obvious automotive styling ripoff I have ever seen.

Almost like a tv program or commercial where they remove the badges or change the grill so it just looks like some anonymous car.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/23/14 9:47 a.m.

Performance parts? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Oh wait, you weren't kidding. Well, it's going to be harder than finding early Swift GT parts. They're easy enough to work on, just think of a honda with a timing chain and torque. Don't see them around here anymore because of cancer.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/23/14 9:53 a.m.

There are more Suzuki's in Texas than anywhere else I've ever been. Never really had any interest in the Esteem but the SXAero thing always intrigued me. Test drove a SX4 when those came out and liked that pretty good.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/23/14 10:49 a.m.

I figured as much for the performance parts. That will keep me in line with not having a project. Sticky tires (there are some good options in the 195/55-15 stock size) and maintenance will be all.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/23/14 10:51 a.m.

Oh, and an AWD SX4 hatch with a manual is a fun car!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/23/14 11:39 a.m.

Anybody know off hand what stock auto-x class thus is in?

EDIT: Looks like H Street for SCCA?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/23/14 11:48 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Never really had any interest in the Esteem...

Me either, but it seems like it might be a fun DD/momentum racer, and a 60k car for $1500 seems too good to pass up. We'll see what it looks like when I get it in the shop!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/23/14 12:21 p.m.
I have never ever seen a Kizashi in the metal. And I've even seen an imEv or iMev or or imEV whatever the hell ToRgO thing it's called

There is a loaded one in my extended family and it is a sweet car. Having spent time around both, i consider a loaded one an alternative to a TSX and i would probably pick it between the two if i was presented the choice for some strange reason.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/23/14 12:21 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote:
nicksta43 wrote: Never really had any interest in the Esteem...
Me either, but it seems like it might be a fun DD/momentum racer, and a 60k car for $1500 seems too good to pass up. We'll see what it looks like when I get it in the shop!

I'm in for pics

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
7/23/14 12:42 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Any performance parts available?

Performance parts in the Suzuki world is very much a DIY proposition. I can do up a nice set of cams for the 1.8. You should be able to figure out something for a swap/custom throttle body. The intake is simple, and you can probably swap a header/manifold from another J series motor for something the flows more freely. That stuff would give it a serious boost in power and fun, but as I recall, the final drive is 3.79-1. A little high, IMO, and should be in the 4.10 range. For springs and sway bars, you're on your own.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KOTW1RudoPDiAgkKymnBy81ryWwoqVt9H46YDNXkuI4k2XJxUifZPcUjcfiL1fze