svxsti
svxsti Reader
11/21/20 11:58 a.m.

If anyone wants to get into an SVX they are a much more solid car than an Impreza and sound like a 911 with a hollowed muffler yet quiet at low revs. When they were written about the SVX was compared to Lexus in build quality and BMW in performance. 7k rpm redline and 155mph  off the showroom thanks to one of the lowest cd ever produced: .27. Also one of the first concept cars to into production with the window in the window like the McLaren F1 and 90s styling like the Veryon in the nose, thanks to Giugiaro of Italdesign that penned one of my faves, the Esprit. The EG33 is a non interference motor also used in small aircraft and John Edwards RIP built 1000hp sand cars with them. Unfortunately I could never find a transmission to hanndle that kind of power, even though the platform could, one of the best crash test scores.

My advice is get the FWD version without power seats, much lighter and ipttrans or level10 rebuilds the pathfinder auto for 400hp good for autox and drag where reaction time is more important than shifting. 4.44 diffs are salvaged everywhere. The motor can be built for revs or the compression lowered for crazy boost or nitrous. Aftermarket suspension available and even when lowered will clear 245/40R18s with the right offset which happens to be RX8 wheels.

This is not the original pearl white, it was painted Ibis white like my Audi in my avatar. The small rear windows are power and were great for the dogs to poke their head out each side.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/21/20 2:49 p.m.

Wheel bearings and trans are weak spots 

great car - wish it had a MT 

heavy though 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
11/21/20 3:28 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Wheel bearings and trans are weak spots 

great car - wish it had a MT 

heavy though 

Wheel bearings were just like expensive tires that wear out fast to me, a small price to pay. The trans was reliable and a couple places upgrade them for racing as I mentioned, but its weak spot was gearing, 80mph in 2nd.

It was only heavy with the power seats, unbelievably heavy, ofc the awd and abs contributed. FWD cars without power seats and ABS are competitive.

The EG33 bolts right up to an Impreza transmission, that was an easy install with readily available mounts. Move the battery to the back and you're good to go. One of the most solid rides at 150+. Makes the Imprezas feel like a noodle.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/21/20 6:46 p.m.

My understanding is that the EG33 was a one-off design. Why was that?

svxsti
svxsti Reader
11/21/20 7:00 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

My understanding is that the EG33 was a one-off design. Why was that?

Not to my knowledge, like I said, extensively in small aircraft by Subaru's parent company. It's just an extension of the 2.2L. The combustion chambers on the heads are easily enlarged to lower the CR for nos or boost with custom cams.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/21/20 8:07 p.m.

Couple of us here have extensive SVX experience.  SVReX has been to the Challenge with his.  I have had 5 of them over the years with one converted to a 5 speed.  Regularly autocrossed both an automatic and my 5 speed conversion which i owned for more than 20 years.  

svxsti
svxsti Reader
11/21/20 11:39 p.m.
wawazat said:

Couple of us here have extensive SVX experience.  SVReX has been to the Challenge with his.  I have had 5 of them over the years with one converted to a 5 speed.  Regularly autocrossed both an automatic and my 5 speed conversion which i owned for more than 20 years.  

Nice! Has anyone done a FWD non ABS SVX yet?

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
11/22/20 3:14 a.m.

So basically the SVX is the Jaguar XJS of Subarus? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tUAIAMOWETAEuyIjkXoPjvHvA42QkvcWNE6rqpCbTDnmoP6M8CPsKVedZUZf5CgD