Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/24/09 7:37 a.m.

I have just gotten back from Carlisle. Still a great swap meet. I also met with Lime Rock when I was up that way and they are actively rekindling the Labor Day weekend swap meet as part of their vintage event. We also have started to develop a swap meet as part of the Mitty weekend.

We should write a story on what swap meets are left, where and when they are and what type of stuff can be found.

Who knows of any sporty car type swap meets? Where, when, and how good are they?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/24/09 7:52 a.m.

Portland still has an amazing one every year. It takes up the entire Portland Expo (all 4 halls) and the entire PIR racetrack! It took John and I 2 days to walk it all and I'm pretty sure we missed the backlot of the Expo still. Lots of cool old stuff like Midgets, MG's, and Triumphs plus race cars, parts galore, and more. I've been the last three years running and I know you could build a Challenge car from scratch just from vendors there.

Back in the day the swap meet in the infield of Daytona during the Spring Spectacular show used to be pretty awesome. Haven't been to that one in a good 7 years though?

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
5/24/09 8:03 a.m.

http://www.ohioswapmeet.com/

About 30-45 minutes west of Columbus, 20 minutes east of Dayton. Pretty big event, though it's been a few years since I've been. . .and it's this weekend, and I can't go. . .

procker
procker New Reader
5/24/09 10:14 a.m.

i do believe my uncle attends these in his 1960-something Ford Galaxy...he rants and raves about it all the time...

Canfield/Canton OH Super Auto Events...

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
5/24/09 10:22 a.m.

I am surprised that the Challenge has not turned into a swap meet of sorts at this point.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/24/09 10:38 a.m.

The Gilmore Car Museum in Michigan hosts a couple small ones each year. The meet at the "mad dogs and englishmen" show always has some cool LBC stuff.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
5/24/09 6:30 p.m.

Stafford Springs in CT was THE New England meet when I was growing up. Nice mix of everything, though too much non-car stuff when I moved away. Twice a year my buddies and I loaded up a 24 foot U-haul (speedo cable disconnected FTW!) and made money for the next projects by selling leftovers from the last ones. I still miss it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/24/09 7:40 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Stafford Springs in CT was THE New England meet when I was growing up. Nice mix of everything, though too much non-car stuff when I moved away. Twice a year my buddies and I loaded up a 24 foot U-haul (speedo cable disconnected FTW!) and made money for the next projects by selling leftovers from the last ones. I still miss it.

The best one in the NE for sure. I have not been in 4-5 years.

http://www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/News/pr031309.htm

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
5/24/09 8:51 p.m.

What time of year is the Portland event?

P71 wrote: Portland still has an *amazing* one every year. It takes up the entire Portland Expo (all 4 halls) *and* the entire PIR racetrack! It took John and I 2 days to walk it all and I'm pretty sure we missed the backlot of the Expo still. Lots of cool old stuff like Midgets, MG's, and Triumphs plus race cars, parts galore, and more. I've been the last three years running and I know you could build a Challenge car from scratch just from vendors there. Back in the day the swap meet in the infield of Daytona during the Spring Spectacular show used to be pretty awesome. Haven't been to that one in a good 7 years though?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZLxGXHdfPhVgzp9CRyKLz2RRDtpqPXbEi9OhC69nSBpLk2P42tEN2YGXHV2N9mGS