mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/14 1:58 a.m.

My biggest question remains.. how to do this and stay legal? Here in NJ the last bit of inspection they do is emissions via the OBDII port. How do you guys swap the LS engines into everything and remain legal?

Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
10/1/14 5:23 a.m.

No problem connecting to port but you may need to use a software package to change the vin number that is reported

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/1/14 5:26 a.m.

GM ecus are allegedly laughably easy to hack, I assume you just set it to report to the scanner as the swapped car with clean bill of health.

Though if there is some sort of under hood visual inspection, or visual inspection of the exhaust system, you're boned.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
10/1/14 7:29 a.m.

Two options - put it in something old enough not to be subject to OBD2, or use a stock ECU. In most states, it should be 100% smog legal if all the smog equipment from the donor car is brought over.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
10/1/14 8:56 a.m.

This isn't an issue. Bring over the stock LSx PCM, code it to the VIN# of the LSx engine. Bring over the necessary smog equipment, in my car that meant putting in a smog pump and making sure all 4 O2 sensors were there.

I then used HP Tuners and coded it so all the readiness monitors would read "ready". Then I took it to the emissions referree inspectors, they looked over the car and entered it into the computer. Now I just take it to the smog place and they run it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wlcpyHn3us0b4yLkddl7FHiJPomKr4yL7Cb1FNFM99rYBs0J1EgbWvO04GnZyZLW