CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
9/10/11 10:39 p.m.

I've got a 2010 Tacoma that I have been getting some fairly erratic mileage. The truck is a 2wd, 4cyl, 5spd variant with 33,500 miles on it. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it seemed to be drinking gas. It was consuming it fast enough that I initially thought someone siphoned a few gallons out of the tank. Then when I drove it, I could watch the gas gauge move. When I filled it up, I checked the mileage and it only got about 16mpg. That tank it was fine as were the next two tanks. This past tank full, I averaged about 17.mpg. I haven't checked the mileage on the current tank but I'm guessing close to 27/28mpg. The truck is supposed to get 20 city / 26 highway. Until about a month ago, I rarely got less than 24.5mpg with the type of driving I do. Has anyone heard of these trucks doing this? Any idea what the cause could be? I could understand the poor mileage if I was flat-footing & towing a small formula car - but that's just not the case. I was doing my normal commute and rarely drive the thing faster than 70mph on the highway.

Thanks all!

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
9/11/11 10:42 a.m.

Gas mileage is usually affected by driving conditions. Driver, traffic, speeds, loads. If there is a problem with the engine, you would most likely get a MIL. Also, there can be a difference in the tank filling. Of course, out side conditions such as a fuel leak or unfriendly neighbors. With the price of gas, who knows.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/11/11 11:08 a.m.

Any codes?

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
9/13/11 11:00 p.m.

There are absolutely no codes.

The last fill-up average was 28.5mpg - grant it, that was on some fairly flat roads at 65mph. That is a little high but not out of the ordinary. Getting 17mpg with the truck empty (when I normally get 24-25 mpg driving the same route with a 600lb motorcycle in the back or 1,000lbs of firewood) is way out of the ordinary.

The first time this happened I remember driving the truck and could watch the gas gauge move significantly over a 10 or 12 mile trip.

The bothersome thing about this is my driving has been pretty consistant.

The other thing is I'm a pretty consistant Shell gas user and typically buy it at the same station.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
9/14/11 5:24 p.m.

Our gasoline quality continues to decrease and be very inconsistant.

I find a monthly treatment of Lucas injector cleaner helps

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GLyP3kld97xiO21wgLyWbdfW5ca4YRZtN4QaXirVHsTCGLbRONkpUtgGC9BdYuvB