1 2 3
ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
10/25/12 11:02 a.m.

These cars used to be owned by a friend of mine. I've sort of lost contact with him in the last few years he obviously has had some troubles as part of his collection is being auctioned off by a storage company. Prices are likely to be very low - scrap value low. I don't need another classic as I have my basket case Honda S600 but when else are you going to see one of these ...

I probably won't get anything but I'm open to being talked into it. Calgary, Alberta, Canada is the location by the way.

Renault 4 - I don't know the history on this one but I do like it. The rear seat is missing and those narrow tires are probably not cheap to replace. Looks reasonably solid but the underside would need a checking as all these cars have sat in long grass for at least 5-6 years.

Auction ends oct 31/12

Ford Zephyr MkII - I do love the style of these. They come with a rather dull inline six motor but engine bay is good size for swapping in something with a big more get up and go.

Auction ends oct 31/12

TR7 coupe - I believe this one has a Ford 2.8L V6 and auto swapped in. The steering column dropped into his lap at 100km/h when he bought it and been parked ever since.

Auction ends oct 31/12

Vauxhall Victor - These are neat cars but not sure I have the passion to own one

Auction ends oct 31/12

Very rare Vauxhall wagon

Auction ends oct 31/12

Again - quite rare but the grill might be tough to source and not sure I have a passion for it.

Auction ends oct 31/12

Metro - probably go for more money than I have to spend

Auction ends oct 31/12

There is a pair of Rover SD1s - I believe one is auto and the other manual. I can't remember what kind of shape they are in.

Auction ends oct 31/12

Basket case E-Type - probably goes for too much money and similar condition to my Honda. Would make a cool rat rod.

Rover 2000TC - the four cylinder powered P6 but with twin carbs. I really, really like these ... in theory. They have a reputation for being soul crushingly expensive to maintain and repair with no value upside when you go to sell. This one at least a driver a few years back.

Ford Maverick - this is a very low mileage sedan with a V8. It was a driver a few years back and in good shape. But it is a big bumpered sedan.

Capri II - I seem to be recall this one had a gearbox issue

Vauxhall Victor FC - I can't recall seeing another one of these for decades.

There are two of the more desirable Crestas but they are rough

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/12 11:07 a.m.

Buy this one:

and swap the drivetrain into this one:

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
10/25/12 11:08 a.m.

The R4 is the one that made my heart jump but be warned that finding US spec Renault parts is not just difficult but very expensive.

The Vauxhall wagon is my pick of the bunch. Way too cool.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/25/12 11:10 a.m.

Jesus I want all those cars except the Metro and Maverick four door. If I had to chose one, Rover SD1 or 2000TC would be my choice.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
10/25/12 11:25 a.m.

I'd rock that Zephyr, the second car. Swap in any old motor you want, it'd still be cool.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/25/12 11:28 a.m.

I want the tow truck.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
10/25/12 11:35 a.m.

Big, 5mph bumper, Detroit iron sedans are the ultimate city cars. Modern cars just sort of bounce off at low speeds. The parts a re so cheap it makes up for the 12 mpg(US).

So DD the maverick, and build up the Zephyr. Leave the rest unless you REALLY love the Renault(BTW, skinny tires can be cheap, just hard to find).

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
10/25/12 11:41 a.m.

So you're shopping in Thwaite's driveway?

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/25/12 11:46 a.m.

snag one of them there Fieros

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
10/25/12 11:58 a.m.

My vote is for the Rover SD's, but I'm wierd.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/12 11:59 a.m.

You have to be extremely careful with Rover P6s as they hide rot extremely well. Basically the sheet metal is bolted to a structural space frame underneath (much like a Range Rover) and that one can rust badly before it's noticeable on the outside. If you notice rust in the frame/structure, it's usually terminal.

P6s are great cars, but I'd be tempted to look for a 3500 instead.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/25/12 12:01 p.m.

For enabling.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
10/25/12 12:05 p.m.

thissun' here

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/25/12 12:12 p.m.

Grab this one. Easiest to get running, shares a lot of parts with Pinto/Mustang II, fun cars.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/25/12 12:27 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote: So you're shopping in Thwaite's driveway?

There's a few pieces there I'd gladly own. But none of them are mine.

What's up with the VW Thing/181 sitting next to the Renault?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/12 12:32 p.m.

vauxhall wagon

capri

zephyr

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/25/12 12:38 p.m.

Vauxhall wagon - by a mile. But I'm a biased wagon-lover.

Then probably the Thing. That would probably be the easiest to fix up and flip for profit if so inclined.

That said, the way most of these are sitting in a field, I fear for how badly the underside rust may be.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/12 12:41 p.m.

You didn't look at the 944 or VW Thing at all? Not to mention the two Fieros, I thought those were noteworthy.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
10/25/12 12:48 p.m.

I'd take the Vauxhall wagon and the Capri.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
10/25/12 12:51 p.m.

I like the Zephyr most of all. The SD's and the Triumph are too "new" compared to the others and the SD's are notorious for crumbling interiors that would be impossible to put right.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
10/25/12 1:14 p.m.

Four door Maverick FTW!

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
10/25/12 1:38 p.m.

It is a Porsche 924 Turbo not a 944. It has been sitting for a decade at least.The two tone green colour scheme is rather interesting though.

Photobucket

The VW Thing has been sitting outside with no top for probably a decade too. Still I bet it pulls more money than I want to spend.

DSC_1028

That tow truck towed a Reliant Scimitar GTE to my house years and years ago. Not sure on its current status but I'd bet it has needs if it is in the storage yard.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
10/25/12 1:54 p.m.

The Thing would be my easy first choice.

Otherwise, as much as the other cars may be cooler, on a limited budget, I'd be more tempted to go TR7. I'd think parts are easier to find and cheaper than most of the others.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
10/25/12 3:02 p.m.

Capri... only because I have history with them....

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
10/25/12 4:11 p.m.

SD1 with the manual then swap the driveline into the TR7. You can swap in the front hubs and brakes as well, then you'll have a TR7 V8 better than a stock TR8. You could make a quick thousand bucks just selling off the V8 manual driveline to someone doing a MGB V8.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rip8voueIbcW76kAP3uknb6KqNXwgoWcBC2d89jgjkCbWPI0riUpdqk8zvhIvaYH