1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/17/17 9:47 a.m.

TL;DR: Are 2 door Tahoe/Yukon/Blazers good? What should I look out for? (1992-1999 full size)

We need to get a vehicle for the dogs. We've been looking and had it narrowed down pretty much to a Mazda5, but I don't know how long term this vehicle will end up being, and I don't know that I'd be all that happy in the Mazda5 for too long (I just don't really care for FWD no matter how hard I try--even in a DD. Which is stupid, I know). So I've hypothetically ruled out the Mazda because I don't know how long we would have this, and all the ones I see that I would actually buy still have some meat on that depreciation bone. Aside from that, we would like something that can tow.

So, I was thinking--what is something I could actually be happy in for a long time? What is reliable, "cool", and can fit the dogs? What can tow? And what probably doesn't have much depreciation left? I came up with the 2 door Blazers/Yukons/Tahoes. I know I like them--I think they're cool, and I used to drive a Silverado and liked it. The biggest downsides aren't an issue for me (lack of access to back seats, and MPG--I drive less than a mile a day and don't use the back seat). And I figure that while they're generally the same price as the Mazda5's, there isn't much depreciation left in them at this point--especially since there are no other 2 door SUV's left.

So what is there to look out for? Are they decent vehicles still today, keeping in mind the newest ones are now old enough to vote? I still see a lot of the GMT platforms around as work trucks today--I'd assume they're built.. Well, Like a Rock.

Any thoughts?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
1/17/17 10:05 a.m.

I love the two door body style. Had a '96 for about 18 months, but ended up dumping a lot into it and then dumping it because of too many close call breakdowns when we are far from home. I hated getting rid of it and still miss it, but a full time job and busy weekends just didn't afford me the time to work on it.

Anyway, they're no different than any GM's of the era. I think the only thing unique would be the rear side windows. Parts are stupid cheap. I always said that when you see ads for "generic part as cheap as...." it's almost always for a GM truck. Plenty of towing capabilities with the vortec. Mine was 2wd (which is rarer, but all I needed in Texas). Barn door back doors.

Just look for one in the best shape you can afford. If you have the time, shop until you find it. I got glassy eyed and jumped on the 2nd one I found and shouldn't have.

I don't think you could go wrong with it at all. I hope to own another one day. Mine was just too much work (all fixable) and not enough time.

-Rob

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/17/17 10:55 a.m.

Try to stick to 96+ models, they have the better interior that started in 95 and the better motors that started in 96.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/17/17 10:56 a.m.

I have looked into these a little. For the GMT400 generation, the Chevy version was sold as a Blazer for a few years then as a Tahoe. The GMC version was a Yukon from 1992. I think the last 2-door Yukon was 96 or 97, but 2-door Tahoes went maybe a year longer.

95 or older will be TBI, 96 or newer is Vortec (L31). Vortec is stronger stock but TBI may be easier to mod. Pretty much every one I see has a 350, but it is possible there are some out there with 305's or even V6's (fleet orders).

Pretty much all I know to tell, these are starting to catch on and i have seen a couple asking $6-8k but really doubt they actually sell for that. Otherwise pretty much the same as any other Tahoe/Yukon of the same generation.

One thing that I found interesting is that the 4-door Tahoe only came out in 1995. Before that it was only 2-doors or Suburbans. The 2-doors are not really as rare as people would have you believe, it's just that there were MILLIONS of 4-doors sold in that same timeframe so they seem hard to find by comparison.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/17/17 11:01 a.m.

Do a southern fly-and-drive. It seems rust likes these better than the rest of the platform. Otherwise they were pretty awesome for reliability and mediocre at everything else. You know, gm. When you start going through it you wwll find things wore out but parts are cheap and service is easy. Because they are rare but popular clean ones bring decent coin. If you dont like what youre finding in your price range four doors seem to go cheaper, at least around here.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
1/17/17 11:04 a.m.

The only issue I know of with the Vortec is that center point fuel injection setup and the poppet valves going bad causing these to run poorly and all sorts of other issues. Not sure what the current solution is really. Last I knew it was a good $500 in parts to keep the setup working. Would be nice if it was easy to retrofit TBI to these but that's not a plug and play swap, obviously.

I saw one of these a week or so back and I think the look of these things has really aged well. Really pretty trucks.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/17/17 11:09 a.m.

Personally I prefer the earlier dash and the familiarity of TBI, so was looking at 94 and earlier trucks. I agree the design has aged really well - for GMT400's in general and the 2-door SUV's in particular.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/17 11:20 a.m.

In reply to SEADave:

I've seen a fair number with 305s, but don't recall ever seeing one with the 4.3. I swear I even once saw one with the 6.5 diesel that claimed to be factory.

I sniffed around these a bit before I bought my XJ. Kinda wish I would have bought one (or Bronco, Ramcharger, older K5 Blazer...) because they can actually tow, but ended up with the Jeep because it was easier to find with a 5 speed. They're GMT400, so how bad can they be? Biggest gripe is they didn't retain the removable top from the previous generation.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/17/17 11:29 a.m.
pres589 wrote: The only issue I know of with the Vortec is that center point fuel injection setup and the poppet valves going bad causing these to run poorly and all sorts of other issues. Not sure what the current solution is really. Last I knew it was a good $500 in parts to keep the setup working. Would be nice if it was easy to retrofit TBI to these but that's not a plug and play swap, obviously. I saw one of these a week or so back and I think the look of these things has really aged well. Really pretty trucks.

Preferred solution was to use the Marine manifold and normal injectors. There was a kit available some time back. it used the RAMJET intake, your throttle body and real injectors.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/17/17 11:58 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to SEADave: I've seen a fair number with 305s, but don't recall ever seeing one with the 4.3. I swear I even once saw one with the 6.5 diesel that claimed to be factory. I sniffed around these a bit before I bought my XJ. Kinda wish I would have bought one (or Bronco, Ramcharger, older K5 Blazer...) because they can actually tow, but ended up with the Jeep because it was easier to find with a 5 speed. They're GMT400, so how bad can they be? Biggest gripe is they didn't retain the removable top from the previous generation.

The military used two door full sized blazers for a while as a stop-gap between the death of the outdated jeep and the slow-to-production HMMWV. They were known as a "cutvee" and sported the rattley old GM diesel (possibly 6.5 liter). You can find them on occasion still for sale. Cool camo paint!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/17/17 12:01 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
pres589 wrote: The only issue I know of with the Vortec is that center point fuel injection setup and the poppet valves going bad causing these to run poorly and all sorts of other issues. Not sure what the current solution is really. Last I knew it was a good $500 in parts to keep the setup working. Would be nice if it was easy to retrofit TBI to these but that's not a plug and play swap, obviously. I saw one of these a week or so back and I think the look of these things has really aged well. Really pretty trucks.
Preferred solution was to use the Marine manifold and normal injectors. There was a kit available some time back. it used the RAMJET intake, your throttle body and real injectors.

I don't know what was so hard about that. GM was using real injectors on the v6 in the 80's, and in the F-body v8, what took them so long with the trucks? The throttle body trucks were reliable and simple, but the fuel economy and horsepower weren't great. It sure seems like multiport would have helped a lot.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/17/17 12:48 p.m.

Good to know. I'm now on the lookout for a 96+ 2 door Yukaho. Unless I find an earlier one for a lot cheaper.

And yeah, the prices people are asking seem to be insane, but there are some good deals out there if you look. At least according to my craigslist searches anyways.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/17 12:58 p.m.

My uncle had a 6.5L diesel two door Yukon for years. He loved that truck!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
1/17/17 1:18 p.m.

6.5 diesels were stock, they were a similar platform to a heavy half if they got the diesel, IE 6 hole wheels but beefier suspension and such. Easy to tell the 6.5 diesel because they had two holes in the bumper to either side of the license plate same as the pickups with the diesel.

I love them, but here in the great white north they are either hood rides, rusty white trash rides, or everyone wants a million doll hairs for one, or some combo of the aforementioned issues.

Most are optioned up well, a good place to spend a few hours, give you a ton more room than any modern cute ute or wagon. Remember they are the same width as a full size truck and not much shorter than a 4 door hoe.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/17/17 1:27 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: 6.5 diesels were stock, they were a similar platform to a heavy half if they got the diesel, IE 6 hole wheels but beefier suspension and such. Easy to tell the 6.5 diesel because they had two holes in the bumper to either side of the license plate same as the pickups with the diesel. I love them, but here in the great white north they are either hood rides, rusty white trash rides, or everyone wants a million doll hairs for one, or some combo of the aforementioned issues. Most are optioned up well, a good place to spend a few hours, give you a ton more room than any modern cute ute or wagon. Remember they are the same width as a full size truck and not much shorter than a 4 door hoe.

7 inches wider than my Accord and same length. It'll be a little tight in the garage, but I should be ok. Especially when I remove a shelving unit.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/17/17 1:33 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
I don't know what was so hard about that. GM was using real injectors on the v6 in the 80's, and in the F-body v8, what took them so long with the trucks? The throttle body trucks were reliable and simple, but the fuel economy and horsepower weren't great. It sure seems like multiport would have helped a lot.

The Vortec setup was multiport. It was very similar to the old diesel injector pump setup that then fired the fuel to each intake runner (instead of the cylinder like the diesel) through little plastic straws. They were still sequential etc... just a wierd setup. I think they were trying to reinvent the wheel with something new, but it just didn't work.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/17/17 1:37 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
Furious_E wrote: In reply to SEADave: I've seen a fair number with 305s, but don't recall ever seeing one with the 4.3. I swear I even once saw one with the 6.5 diesel that claimed to be factory. I sniffed around these a bit before I bought my XJ. Kinda wish I would have bought one (or Bronco, Ramcharger, older K5 Blazer...) because they can actually tow, but ended up with the Jeep because it was easier to find with a 5 speed. They're GMT400, so how bad can they be? Biggest gripe is they didn't retain the removable top from the previous generation.
The military used two door full sized blazers for a while as a stop-gap between the death of the outdated jeep and the slow-to-production HMMWV. They were known as a "cutvee" and sported the rattley old GM diesel (possibly 6.5 liter). You can find them on occasion still for sale. Cool camo paint!

If you go the old Army truck route change out the door locks at least. They all used the same key and lots of us still have one.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
1/17/17 2:45 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
gearheadmb wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
The Vortec setup was multiport. It was very similar to the old diesel injector pump setup that then fired the fuel to each intake runner (instead of the cylinder like the diesel) through little plastic straws. They were still sequential etc... just a wierd setup. I think they were trying to reinvent the wheel with something new, but it just didn't work.

im pretty sure that the 4.3 still had spider injection up until 2014, it was an improved spider injection that didnt use the poppets anymore that use to get stuck open, but still had the goofy plastic hoses to each cylinder

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
1/17/17 2:45 p.m.

I always liked these, and have been noticing they are creeping up in value. But I think the regular cab/short bed GMT400's have been too.

I agree about spending a little more to find the best available (and fly and drive as I see clean, rust-free ones in FL somewhat regularly).

I'll tell you my dog loves our third gen 4Runner, and the ability to roll down the rear window is really nice, but not sure if that meets your towing and/or "cool" needs.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/17/17 3:06 p.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: I always liked these, and have been noticing they are creeping up in value. But I think the regular cab/short bed GMT400's have been too. I agree about spending a little more to find the best available (and fly and drive as I see clean, rust-free ones in FL somewhat regularly). I'll tell you my dog loves our third gen 4Runner, and the ability to roll down the rear window is really nice, but not sure if that meets your towing and/or "cool" needs.

Wife doesn't want one. I like them, and have had a lot of experience with 3 different 4th gens. We may still end up with one.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/17 3:44 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote:

Oh I'm well aware of the M1008 (or M1010...forget which is the truck and which is the Blazer.) I've had a strange lust for one of those for a while. That's a generation older than what mtn is looking at though.

I think the GMT400s in general are starting to see the values creep up for decent ones. Lots of cheap beaters still, but if its got decent rockers/cab corners/fenders, paint looks good, and mileage is under 200k they seem to be worth almost as much as an equivalent GMT800 anymore. I think I'd prefer mine in short bed, regular cab, 2wd truck flavor.

Speaking of which, there was a NICE looking 454SS at the welding shop across the parking lot from work this afternoon.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/17 4:28 p.m.

The early end of your range is TBI. Gutless, powerless, oil-burning, gas-sucking piles of rock solid reliability. 96-later is Vortec. Good power, better MPG, might start leaking coolant at the intake, and almost as rock solid reliability as the TBI.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/17/17 7:02 p.m.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5912188004.htmlLinky

The dogs might have to jump pretty high to get in....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/17/17 7:31 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5912188004.htmlLinky The dogs might have to jump pretty high to get in....

They are supposed to be lowered

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/20/17 8:44 a.m.

Bringing this back to ask about the earlier ones. I realize that they're down on power and get worse gas mileage, but 95 and prior do not have to go through emissions testing in my state. And I have had vehicles not pass emissions, and it has been a pain (or expensive) to get them to pass.

How down on power are they? Are there any easy fixes? Same with the MPG.

I don't mind the older dash, personally--I actually prefer it to be honest.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SiFzswTg35uroOdag9F2VdH1B9pj6Jr84ZW8AMBIKLbr9W873Yxi461XGO9L37lY