warracer
warracer None
9/30/16 12:35 p.m.

Hi !

First post here and I have a question for the guys that race in amateur clubs; I need a FIA compliant seat to race but not one of them fit me. Im 6'8'' and my back to the top of my head is 39-40'' and the highest seat I saw was the Sparco Evo 2 with a 36'' height... Does anybody know if a company makes specialty seats for taller folks? Thank you

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/30/16 12:47 p.m.

I'll take some measurements of my Cobra Sebring

warracer
warracer New Reader
9/30/16 1:01 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Thank you sir! Does anybody know if I could modify the seat frame and have it reupholstered ?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/30/16 1:02 p.m.

It wouldn't be FIA rated anymore if you modified it

warracer
warracer New Reader
9/30/16 1:19 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: It wouldn't be FIA rated anymore if you modified it

Yeah makes total sense

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
9/30/16 1:24 p.m.

Most shell seats have a removable bottom pad that will give you some more headroom - your best bet is to find somewhere you can sit in a few.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/16 1:33 p.m.

Not cheap but every Tall guy I've ever seen has been in a Recaro Pro Racer Ultima.

It's got a lot of adjust ability to it and lists a max height just under 40" on their website. https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas-us/motorsport-us/products-us/pro-racer-ultima-10.html

warracer
warracer New Reader
9/30/16 1:59 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider: Thats one hell of a seat Sadly the 6300$ price tag is worth more than my car and so its waaay out of my budget... I know what im going to dream about tonight...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/30/16 2:07 p.m.

Does it have to be FIA compliant, or can it be an aluminum seat with some extra mounting points? The main point with the FIA deal is it has to be strong enough to just mount at the bottom. Add a backbrace, and there is way, way less stress on the lower mounting points. Sometimes that is an option.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/16 2:32 p.m.

Try the Recaro Profi SPG XL.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
9/30/16 3:02 p.m.

Im 6'4, 245 lbs and i love my corbeau fx1. It is not FIA; i just added a back brace.

warracer
warracer New Reader
9/30/16 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy: Oh I'll ask my club if that could be an option I did not knew that. I need to buy a backbrace then.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/16 8:23 p.m.

I did preface it by saying it's not cheap.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
10/1/16 8:30 p.m.

OMP TRS-E XL (I guess it's called the TRS Plus now)- I am 6'4" and about 330. I fit really well. If you aren't heavy the TRS-E may work.

EDIT - It looks like the ECO XL is even taller.

BTD
BTD New Reader
10/2/16 12:46 a.m.

I'm your size (almost) and this fit me great when I was testing seats:

Sparco Ergo

Looks like it's 40" to the top of the seat

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/2/16 1:15 a.m.

Another vote for the FX1 if the addition of a brace will make it work with the regs.
6'3'' here but all torso (30 inseam) and it fit great.
Anything over a 34 waist will probably want to opt for the 'FX1 wide' for a bunch more room side to side.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
10/2/16 5:22 a.m.

I'm not a tall guy like you, but I actually prefer an aluminum seat secured to the floor and to the roll cage at just below shoulder height. It allows me to spray foam the seat to my exact fit and comfort. Real advantage if there is more than one driver because we can each have a foam insert to fit our personal space. The aluminum seat also allows you to bolt on water bottle tubes, extra head supports, etc without compromising its integrity. Plus there is no FIA sticker to expire. And the best reason of all... they are cheap. Just picked up a nice lightly used one for $65.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/16 7:30 a.m.
Woody wrote: Try the Recaro Profi SPG XL.

One thing that tall guys need to be very careful about is the location of the holes for the shoulder belts. Most are too low for tall people and can cause spinal compression in an impact. This Recaro is better than most in that regard.

warracer
warracer New Reader
10/3/16 3:07 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Woody wrote: Try the Recaro Profi SPG XL.
One thing that tall guys need to be very careful about is the location of the holes for the shoulder belts. Most are too low for tall people and can cause spinal compression in an impact. This Recaro is better than most in that regard.

Very true, I do take that in consideration as well, I saw so many ''race cars'' with 5 point harnesses bolted with a 45degree angle downward... Thank you so much for all your feedbacks! Really apreciated! I'll try to find a shop that has some of these seats in stock and try some of them :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hXtG5d90zpEpNomUBo5YCmUkExvvuhtW7K2fPWpyyQQwqykgaTUW5J9xqlPdi4DQ