GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/15/09 2:29 p.m.

It started 30 minutes ago, but it is being shown many times over the next few days. Set your Tivo.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
3/15/09 2:35 p.m.

I just saw two shots of Keith Tanners Miata!

minimac
minimac Dork
3/15/09 2:37 p.m.

Just saw the Tanners blow off the 'vette!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/15/09 2:38 p.m.

I just happened upon it while flipping channels, and the second thing I saw was the Martini Miata! Nice work Keith!

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
3/15/09 2:38 p.m.

Wait! They just showed his on board camera as he passed a vette!......I wish my Miata sounded like that...

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/09 3:05 p.m.
Sultan wrote: I just saw two shots of Keith Tanners Miata!

yeah second that! I love that thing, and good sound. I am so glad Speed still has sense. This was awsome, I want to compete so bad!! I liked those BMW's and that Camaro was giving some good competition but that 83 Quattro Group B car, oh yeah, my favorite.

It was a good afternoon, LeMans on ABC and then Targa Newfoundland, my days complete.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
3/15/09 3:38 p.m.

missed LeMans completely but did catch the Targa...

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/15/09 4:43 p.m.

wait a tick, all I had on ABC all day was B-ball....where were you getting Le Mans coverage (I'm assuming 6 month old coverage)

Can't wait to see Targa.

senador
senador New Reader
3/15/09 5:13 p.m.

Some highlights set to "Going the Distance" by Cake

http://blip.tv/file/1292449

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/15/09 5:31 p.m.
minimac wrote: Just saw the Tanners blow off the 'vette! Yeah.. saw that.. AWESOME!
NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/09 6:12 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: wait a tick, all I had on ABC all day was B-ball....where were you getting Le Mans coverage (I'm assuming 6 month old coverage) Can't wait to see Targa.

I guess it was for the east coast......

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
3/15/09 8:47 p.m.

Ya gotta love DVR

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/15/09 10:15 p.m.

agreed. I saw the coverage of the Targa race live today, and to be honest I feel sorry for the drivers of that blue '59 Austin Mini. 3 engines in one event, a head gasket, a water pump gasket, numerous other parts, that's a lot to have go wrong in 5 says, but they kept soldiering on. kudos to them for that

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/15/09 11:43 p.m.

one day I WILL run this event...maybe this year I will volunteer to get a feel for things.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/09 11:58 p.m.

The production company did a great job of the show this year. And yes, they were very good to us If you missed it, you can find the show times here: http://www.speedtv.com/programs/targa-newfoundland/

As for Lucy the Mini - there's even more to the story. The car barely left Las Vegas, but the other Mini teams made sure they made it to the start line. And then would not let that car fail to finish. They won the "spirit of the Targa" award for overcoming diversity, and in unflagging good humor.

Honestly, you don't get to see the other cars when you're racing. It's an awesome experience to drive, but I never actually saw the Quattro running in anger. I saw a few cars close-up as we passed, but that only happened a half-dozen times over the week.

And if you want to see all sorts of in-car video, check out http://targamiata.com/video.php. The pass of the Vette shown in the TV show was in Clarenville, and you can see the whole stage.

Here are some of my other favorites:

• Port Leamington. It's wet, it's fast, it's bumpy enough to keep things interesting, and we passed a monster vintage Corvette in a fast part. Unfortunately, I forgot to edit a 3-minute "speed restriction zone" out of the Google video version, so feel free to fast-forward.
  • Brigus. The autocross stage . This was the other one that was used in the TV show. This version of the video has subtitles so you can see what Janel was saying.
  • Conception-Colliers. Ever hit a speed bump at 80 mph?

I have to stop, I'd end up listing almost all of them...

And if you want to volunteer, get in touch. I think the job to get would be on a timing crew. You'll skip around, but you'll get to see some stages from the mid-point as you man a radio station, then the next stage might have you at the start or the flying finish. I think the race pays for your expenses during the event, all you have to do is get your butt to Newfoundland. My aunt and uncle ran one of the timing crews last year.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/16/09 12:08 a.m.

don't you have to have a ham license to run radio?

that highlights video was really cool. ACP sings better than he drives (i jest), but what was that? he was singing like a pirate in the car of a ninja?

yup, I just mentally committed, see ya'll up there this summer.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/09 10:18 a.m.

Depends on the kind of radio. There are a couple of spots where they need hams to get connected, but locals take care of that. Contact the organizers to see how you can be involved.

ACP was singing a traditional Newfoundland song, or at least a variant thereof :)

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
3/16/09 12:37 p.m.

The shot of your car from behind in one of the final stages as it went around a corner hreally made my wallet twitch........man your car sounded great!

sector7
sector7 New Reader
3/16/09 12:58 p.m.

i believe the audi sprongle was running is bruno kriebachs old car that he ran at mt washington......they sound so bad ass,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington New Reader
3/16/09 2:10 p.m.

the Conception-Colliers clip is a good ad for the AFCOs.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/16/09 2:46 p.m.

wow, that speed bump sounds like an explosion when you hit it

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/22/09 11:25 a.m.

Anyone know who the guys in the Celica GT4 were? Sucker didn't sound stock by any stretch of the imagination.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WTH2X1lXZrKB84W9ioc8tJL2oJZc1EwEH53JoXDQK5USHwUuaR5Sfaq1Pydr5TUf