Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/19 9:53 a.m.

As you might recall, Targa 2019 was cancelled at the last minute. I'm pretty sure the organization then went into swan mode - calm on the surface, paddling frantically underneath.

The event has been sold to one of the competitors and he's now working with Robert Giannou - the originator of the event - to make 2020 a success. The entries are now open. As always, the earlier you register the lower the cost. All prices in Canadian dollars.

The main event is Targa Newfoundland, 6 days of driving with more than 440 km of closed stages and 1500 km of total distance. It takes place September 14-20.

If you want to run the Targa Tour (aka, drive on the closed stages behind a pace car with a speed limit of 80 kmh), it's $3595 if you sign up before the end of the year. You'll also get a 10% discount for paying in full before the end of the year. This is the thing that supercar owners like to do, and based on what I've seen and heard that pace car does not have a functional speedometer. This is the way to go if you want to put your Enzo into the ocean and gain international press coverage :)

If you want to run the full Targa in either Grand Touring (ie, TSD without the mind games) or Targa (full steam ahead), it's $7195. Same 10% discount. The prices will go up by $400 and $800 respectively in 2020.

There's also the Bambina, which is a 3 day event with 16 competitive stages. It has lower speeds and (I believe) lower safety requirements. I don't see cages in the pictures. It's a good option for those who balk at the cost of preparing a car and entering the full Targa. The winner of the Bambina gets a free entry into the main event. It takes place right around the beginning of July. Entry fees are $1075 for the Tour and $1345 for the Targa version, again with the 10% discount and a price increase after the new year. Based on the published results for 2019, the odds of winning are pretty strong.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/19 10:02 a.m.

Anyone need a navigator/wrench?

I don't have the car to enter but dang I'd love to go.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/19 10:03 a.m.

Thats great news.  I was sad to hear the event was going away.

Keith, are you familiar with the Chihuahua Express event in Mexico?  Seems to be of a similar style event.  Any opinions about it?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/19/19 10:17 a.m.

Interesting dates.  My Triumph car club is planning a trip to Nova Scotia in 2020, roughly around the same time.  It would be cool if some of the dates overlap.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/19/19 10:30 a.m.

Keith, are you familiar with the Chihuahua Express event in Mexico?  Seems to be of a similar style event.  Any opinions about it?

Hey, that's closer to me than any other US state. I didn't know this existed and am now reading about it.. 

Keith Tanner
11/19/19 11:19 a.m.
Ian F said:

Interesting dates.  My Triumph car club is planning a trip to Nova Scotia in 2020, roughly around the same time.  It would be cool if some of the dates overlap.

Contact Giannou or another organizer. They would probably love to incorporate the club somehow, even if it's a shared car show. The Targa effectively has open pits that work as a car show every night. I'll bet everyone involved would enjoy it.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Chihuahua Express so I don't have an opinion on it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/19/19 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Cool.  I'll pass that along to the organizers on our side. That could be fun.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/19 1:43 p.m.
Vigo said:

Hey, that's closer to me than any other US state. I didn't know this existed and am now reading about it.. 

My friends from Apex Auto works in "Houston" are really big into it. If you're more interested, Reach out to them they know a lot about it. 

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
11/19/19 6:12 p.m.

Is Keith back?

Keith Tanner
11/19/19 6:19 p.m.

Not at the race, no. That bucket list item has been checked off, time to move on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KhNZhBuMiSjm6K3lFxhLDlsfVXLZ1ED0XkbPWO84iKhvVyzDtHvfxa6siIDalDdj