mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/17 7:20 p.m.

I first noticed Volvo's sexy coupe' when rummaging around a Junk yard for 850 parts years ago. I only ever saw a few on the road. I know they are basically a coupe S70, but I was wondering if they had any weirdness to them (aside from the usual Volvo weirdness)

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/20/17 7:55 p.m.

The first gen was not built directly by Volvo but rather a joint venture between TWR and Volvo. That's weirdness!

Then after a messy breakup the second gen was built by a joint venture between Pininfarina and Volvo.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/17 8:05 p.m.

Yeah, the first gen C70 is basically a P80 (850/S70/V70) coupe with tweaked rear suspension geometry. The convertibles were floppy, but the hardtop coupes were good. Available in a rare/desirable high-pressure turbo configuration with a manual transmission and some really interesting colors.

As far as I know the second gen C70 is basically a power hardtop coupe P1 (S40/V50/C30). Unlike the first gen, no fixed-roof or particularly sporting versions.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/17 8:31 p.m.

I was looking at them two years ago. The interiors aren't up to the standards of the 850s.

Brochures, etc.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/17 9:05 p.m.
Woody wrote: I was looking at them two years ago. The interiors aren't up to the standards of the 850s. Brochures, etc.

Really all of the P80 cars have some interior crapness going on. The 850's is much more aesthetically pleasing, but I sold my 855R because of a VICIOUS dashboard squeak that is apparently a common problem on them. The procedure to remedy the squeak was ridiculous and basically involved taking apart the entire dashboard and cowl of the car over the course of two days. I would have another one, but I would pay extra to someone for one that has already had the dash "fix" completed. It might sound silly but on long drives that squeak was a ticket to insanity.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b1meSwwo2UQIGLXA5ZGZPa2dXGe2gWPzTvota5CHYzKQjKhh1jZliaYHU0W96sRM