1 2
WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
11/28/14 1:03 p.m.

New lemons/chump team and we're trying to get prepared for the upcoming season.

So we're obviously trying to balance safety, comfort, and budget effectively starting at zero. So my questions are about the whole setup.
Single layer to start? Multilayer with or without underwear? Two piece vs. One piece for a lemons setting with pit changes and fuel stops?

What has the experienced hive done and what do you use/recommend now? Go!

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/14 1:22 p.m.

My wife and I both have multilayer 1 piece suits. Used Nascar from here.

Buy the best suit you can to start.

btp76
btp76 Reader
11/28/14 1:31 p.m.

I prefer a two piece, multi layer for endurance racing where you'll need to be in and out of it for fueling. I wear the lower half all day with a t shirt, and add the jacket, helmet, and gloves for fueling. There is an increased chance of burning your midsection if you're pulled from a burning car, but other than that, I think they're equally safe. BTW, I'll make you a deal on a set of new black pants, size L.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/28/14 1:32 p.m.

Make sure it's SFI 3.2A/5 minimum. Make sure it is all one piece (no jacket/pants stuff) because some sanctioning will not allow them (outside the roundy-round dirt guys they are almost never seen anyway). If you are using a cool suit setup don't worry too much about the single layer vs multi-layer. Multi-layer is safer and you won;t need to wear nomex underwear.

I paid $180 for a one year old ex-Wally Dallenbach Sparco suit slathered in Pepsi patches off ebay. The suit was $2k new and it was/is in excellent shape with both FIA 8856-2000 and SFI 3.2A/5. I am a fan of Sparco's higher end stuff because they make one suit that meets both standards, cut to look nice for euro types which is important if you wanna score with the umbrella girls, and the prices on used NASCAR team suits are extremely hard to beat.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
11/28/14 2:08 p.m.

I use an OMP Sport OS20 suit and nomex pants, shirt, socks and balaclava. I ordered the under layers from raceimage.com for way less than new. It's served me well for the past couple years.

Once my suit has a few more events on it I'll be upgrading to the OMP Sport OS40 since its multi layer nomex and not treated fabric.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
11/29/14 12:17 p.m.

Look for a used Nomex suit on eBay -- buy something you'll keep the first time instead of buying a cheap suit first like I did.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/29/14 1:42 p.m.

I have a 3 layer Sparco. Wore it all day Saturday and Sunday at the Lemons race and I was comfortable. It can be hot in the middle of summer sitting in the sun in my running R7 in grid or the paddock, but I'll take safety over heat any day. Drinking more water is easier than growing more skin.

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
11/29/14 2:56 p.m.

Suits are one of those things I've decided are worth spending the money on. At the very least I'd get a 3 layer cotton but if you can afford it the Nomex will end up better a better buy in the long run. Plus the last time I checked they never expire so you'll have it for awhile unless you end up using it.

The G-Force cotton suits I've dealt with all have a tag that says don't machine wash presumably because it will remove whatever they treat the cotton with to make it less likely to burn. I've had a few of their single layer suits to wear while autocrossing formula cars but I don't know if I'd actually trust them to do anything other than provide a barrier between my bare skin and hot engine parts.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
11/29/14 6:40 p.m.

I bought my first suit by the supplier that was offering a deal to that year's lemons racers. I think it's a Pyrotect. Been happy with it. Been using it 5 years now in SCCA racing.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/14 11:46 p.m.

I had a G-force 2 layer SFI 3.2A/5. It was the cheapest I could get for that rating. It was very bulky and uncomfortable. I'll hope that higher quailty suits fit better and are cooler. I was damn near in heat stroke after 10 laps. Will not buy another.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/30/14 5:35 a.m.

Ditto the above. I bought (and still use) a G-Force. It is fine as an entry level suit but you will quickly look at guys with Sparco Nomex with saliva-dripping envy. It's bulky. It's really hot. Mine is black which is double-stupid on a hot day. A good suit costs serious money but if you can score a used one it's a big WIN. I've only ever worn 1 piece suits and I have a love/hate relationship with the concept but they are certainly the safest of the options.

carbon
carbon Dork
11/30/14 9:48 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I have a 3 layer Sparco. Wore it all day Saturday and Sunday at the Lemons race and I was comfortable. It can be hot in the middle of summer sitting in the sun in my running R7 in grid or the paddock, but I'll take safety over heat any day. Drinking more water is easier than growing more skin.

This. I also have a 3 layer sparco and I like it a lot. I have friends that have not had enough fire suit, berk that. I wear carbonX underoos, socks and a balaclava too.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/14 10:51 p.m.

I don't understand why they even bother to make race suits in black -- hard to see at night, hot during the day, it just seems like a stupid choice overall.

I bought a MOMO suit over a decade ago when I was planning on taking the SCCA road racing school. SFI 3.2A/5 and FIA approved (Not the -2000 one though, it was too old). I never did get around to actually going road racing, but I wore it at track days because, as one track day organizer once said, "I have an aversion to fire".

Earlier this year the zipper on it broke, and I decided it was time to get a new one. I could probably have fixed it, but hey, it was 12+ years old and it didn't fit as well as it did when I bought it (I dunno, it must have shrunk or something! :-) ). So I bought a new Sparco M-8 X-Light, which was not cheap, but is significantly lighter and cooler than the MOMO one was. Interestingly, the Sparco is only FIA 8856-2000 certified, not SFI.

So yeah, the Sparcos are really nice.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/1/14 2:32 a.m.

Saferacer.com has a big cyber Monday sale on Sparco suits going on, FYI.

chada75
chada75 New Reader
12/1/14 5:14 a.m.

Whatever suit you buy, Make sure you buy some Nomex underwear as well.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/1/14 10:35 a.m.
codrus wrote: I don't understand why they even bother to make race suits in black -- hard to see at night, hot during the day, it just seems like a stupid choice overall.

Black doesn't show stains.

codrus
12/1/14 11:30 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
codrus wrote: I don't understand why they even bother to make race suits in black -- hard to see at night, hot during the day, it just seems like a stupid choice overall.

So that you can't tell when your fire safety is compromised by flammable hydrocarbons soaked into the cloth? :)

dinger
dinger Reader
12/1/14 1:24 p.m.

I was able to get a GForce 545 suit for about half price just by watching ebay for clearance items. I used to have a single layer treated cotton suit (Proban) but wasn't comfortable with the fire resistance, even with nomex underwear. Single layer suits without underwear only give you 2 seconds to second degree burns. I then tried a multi-layer GForce that I got off of ebay, it was Proban material too, and it was crazy hot. Would not recommend. Then I finally got myself a true nomex suit, the aforementioned GF545, which is only 2 layers but still 3.2A/5 rated and MUCH cooler. I'm told the pimpy Sparco/Puma/Alpinestars stuff is even lighter and cooler yet, but I haven't made the proper arrangements with my wallet as of yet to try one.

And a +1 on raceimage.com, I've eyed lots of suits there and their prices look really good, and lots of members here have had positive interactions with them.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/1/14 1:27 p.m.

If you buy used, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that it has the tags on it. I had to have mine re-patched and it was awful.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/1/14 1:45 p.m.

This just into my "Cyber Monday" inbox... Saferacer.com has a Sparco 20% sale going on if you are worried about getting a used suit washed in someone else's urine. Linky from email...

http://saferacer.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=62a5fa0ef3cb8da7362df6e44&id=0797e97908&e=1052b06b47

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/1/14 2:01 p.m.

I've wanted to get a suit for a while but the sizing throws me off. I've got a large neck (16.5) but I'm short and skinny. The suits with that neck size would have a lot of extra room in the middle and long legs. The leg part seems like it might be a little dangerous if it was long enough to cover your feet. But maybe I'm overthinking it. And is there a way to tailor them without voiding the certification?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/1/14 2:09 p.m.
codrus wrote:
DaveEstey wrote:
So that you can't tell when your fire safety is compromised by flammable hydrocarbons soaked into the cloth? :)

As well as sweat, dirt, general grime, rubber, poo etc.

codrus
12/1/14 4:47 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote: I've wanted to get a suit for a while but the sizing throws me off. I've got a large neck (16.5) but I'm short and skinny. The suits with that neck size would have a lot of extra room in the middle and long legs. The leg part seems like it might be a little dangerous if it was long enough to cover your feet. But maybe I'm overthinking it. And is there a way to tailor them without voiding the certification?

Is there a local or even semi-local store that stocks them? When I need safety gear I make the trek up to Wine Country Motorsports at Sears Point (about 80 miles) because proper fit is really important.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/2/14 7:31 a.m.

I'm sure there is something at Atlanta motorsports park. I just didn't want to be that guy who comes in the store tried everything on and then buys it online. I also didn't want to spend country club pro shop dollars on something either.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/2/14 8:23 a.m.

In reply to itsarebuild:

The place at Atlanta Motorsports Park is Discovery Parts. You can see their prices online and they appear to line up with most other places prices.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2qUxrXc7cSPuKrPa4pSQV75Bic7knf4u2hYA1S5eKZCo9ad7CY6ASPgL854tv50a