1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/10 9:45 p.m.

Yeah, I'm suffering from bad ADD like the next GRMer...

What looks like a decent 914 w/ 1.8L injected motor has turned up locally. I know these things can rust like there's no tomorrow and that the 1.8 is unlikely to keep up with a stock Miata, but does anybody have further insights?

What about occasional use as a mobile chicane at track days?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/10 10:09 p.m.

Won't keep up with a Stock Miata running on three cylinders.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/19/10 10:46 p.m.

Yes, the 1.8 is unlikely to keep up with a stock Miata. Therefore, http://www.v8914.com/

and http://home.earthlink.net/~adbuch/index.html and
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/19/10 11:01 p.m.

had one, it was awesome, do it.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
12/19/10 11:08 p.m.

Cool cars. Had a guy over here the other day buying the seats out of my Miata to install in his 914.

A lot of 911 parts swap over.

Needs a Rotary swap

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/20/10 5:59 a.m.

Do you want competition or fun?

914 = huge fun factor.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
12/20/10 7:48 a.m.

If you get one, call me.

that said, don't get one.

If you do, seriously check for rust. the battery trays are always rusted, the rockers are always rusted, the cowls are always rusted.

If it still has stock injection, someone probably cared about it. Carbs are difficult to get right on those cars.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/20/10 8:11 a.m.

That whole "crack in half" thing would have me concerned. Otherwise, go for it. Everyone needs more lawn art.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/20/10 8:13 a.m.

Question -

Would a 914 hold a FWD drivetrain well? If they hold SBC's, then there is obviously some volume to work with, but I don't know if that volume would be friendly for a FWD 4 cylinder.

Considering a new home for the drivetrain from my Civic if it doesn't sell for good money after this autox season.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
12/20/10 8:41 a.m.

What Porshce should reintroduce, updated, and with a low price tag. Boxster doesn't count.

Find one without a rust problem, and the fun factor for return on investment is quite high. Blast to drive. As with most low-powered car, you can be having a blast wrining it out, and you won't get noticed by the cops.

But, do check the uniobody for rust problems. Esp the rear suspension.

BTW, the Fiero had an actual badge in (I believe the dor jamb) with a do NOT exceed XXX (I think 380?) pounds. Or it would fracture and split. Don't recall seeing one on a 914

BoxheadTim
12/20/10 9:30 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Do you want competition or fun? 914 = huge fun factor.

Mostly fun, with a little HPDE track use. I want a momentum car for the latter, but I'm a little concerned that the 1.8 is just a little too slow for that.

Platinum90 wrote: If you get one, call me. that said, don't get one. If you do, seriously check for rust. the battery trays are always rusted, the rockers are always rusted, the cowls are always rusted. If it still has stock injection, someone probably cared about it. Carbs are difficult to get right on those cars.

Rust is less of a problem out here so it might actually be in reasonable shape (I haven't looked at it yet). I've seen a couple of 914s advertised in a 50 mile radius from here and they all seemed to be fairly rust free.

It does look like someone cared about it or at least threw money at it:

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2116615266.html

For some reason a lot of cool cars are being readvertised at the moment, including a very nice, low mileage FB which I looked at in summer - GS unfortunately, if that was a GSL I'd be waving cash .

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
12/20/10 12:49 p.m.

Black is somewhat unusual as it was a $300 option (which was a lot back then). I think "eurospec" usually refers to the higher european compression ratio; that was 8.0 versus 7.6 for the US 2.0 liter cars. Not sure on 1.8s. 1973 got the front bumper boxes, the rears started in 1974. Looks like your front ones were deleted. Pay particular attention to rust on the right front of engine bay (hidden by battery) and also the corresponding corner of the passenger compartment, behind the passenger seat. Mine had rusted from the former into the latter. It's easier to address if you remove the interior and the battery, but those bottom corners of the engine bay are a tough reach [unless you pull the motor and do it seated in the engine bay ].

It appears the front side marker lights have been removed, and possibly covered with a white triangular sticker? I like the look of shaved marker lights, but watch for botched body work covered by a sticker. Ditto the rears. The roof rubber seals are very expensive and mine leaked after only two years.

Quoting myself: My first race car was a modestly modified 914 2.0 (four cylinder). I had a lot of fun in it and scored my first race win.

PROS: -They are simple cars. Really, really simple. Easy to work on, even from underneath. -Most parts are inexpensive, especially if you get the VW part number interchange. -Lightweight: mine weighed about 1950 pounds with cage. -Interchangability with 911 stuff. Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels, transmission, engine, go crazy. -There is no substitute for a lightweight, mid-engine car. Awesome steering feel and turn-in, great balance. Out-trail-braking 911s in decreasing-radius turns is great fun. -Roomy interior. I was actually quite comfortable in mine on long highway drives. I even slept in it once. -Lots of support -Pelican Parts. They rock. -Smell of air-cooled VW and burned oil come at no extra cost. -LOTS of luggage space. -I would Megasquirt. -How many of you remember those super-cool flat metal turn signal stalks from the 70s VWs? 914 got them, too. -PCA is a great club. -Panorama is an awesome magazine (newsletter). -Porsche Owner's Club is supposed to very good; not sure if they're active up there. -Porsche Club Racing has very high-caliber drivers. -Ain't nothing else like a 914. -Top comes off, if you like that sort of thing.

CONS: -Rust. -Rust. -Rust. -Flexible chassis, even without rust. -Leaks. Even after you replace the roof seals. -The rear shifter (1970-1972) is possibly the worst-shifting manual ever. The side shifter (1973-1976) is only somewhat better. Upgrading from rear-shifter to side-shifter is supposed to be fairly easy. -First gear is a stump-puller which sometimes makes for extra 2-3 shifting when autocrossing. -Crappy seats. Easy to change. -Poor oil cooling. Hey, it's mid-engine. -Oil slosh issues. I wasn't able to fully address this. -Weak rear semi-trailing arms. Reinforce these. -Mediocre stock brakes. Easy to upgrade front discs and master cylinder; more expensive to upgrade the rears. But there was a rumored BMW 320i conversion that was supposed to be cheap and easy; look into that. -Not a lot of side-impact protection. But not different from other old sports cars, or even an early Miata. -Stock engines are mediocre but respond very well to hot-rodding. Very known quantity for tuning. -Automobile Atlanta. Run, don't walk, from those guys. -Adjusting the valves is a PITA, especially the two hidden by the semi-trailing arms. -VDO tach will bounce. Get it rebuilt at North Hollywood Speedometer. -Hinges on the engine lid and rear trunk tend to break and cause leaks. Not difficult to fix.

Bottom line, they have many of the excellent traits of the early 911s (simple, robust, light weight, classic feel) with the advantage of mid-engine weight distribution. But they have some of their own special issues. I always enjoyed autocrossing mine, even though it was never set up for that.

[http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-914924944/28112/page1/]

David

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/20/10 1:15 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Question - Would a 914 hold a FWD drivetrain well? If they hold SBC's, then there is obviously some volume to work with, but I don't know if that volume would be friendly for a FWD 4 cylinder. Considering a new home for the drivetrain from my Civic if it doesn't sell for good money after this autox season.

There is a fair amount room in the engine bay to accomodate horizonally opposed engines in a north-south orientation. Knowing the basic dimentions of an air cooled VW and Honda "D" series engine and transmission, I would surprised if it fit. However, I don't have a 914 to measure at the moment and I could be wrong.

BoxheadTim
12/20/10 1:33 p.m.

I'd think the problem is getting the transmission in the right position so it can still drive the wheels...

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/20/10 1:40 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I've seen a couple of 914s advertised in a 50 mile radius from here and they all seemed to be fairly rust free.

Even in dry climates these cars can rust badly. The battery area is the worst spot but look everywhere.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
12/20/10 3:11 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: Question - Would a 914 hold a FWD drivetrain well? If they hold SBC's, then there is obviously some volume to work with, but I don't know if that volume would be friendly for a FWD 4 cylinder. Considering a new home for the drivetrain from my Civic if it doesn't sell for good money after this autox season.
There is a fair amount room in the engine bay to accomodate horizonally opposed engines in a north-south orientation. Knowing the basic dimentions of an air cooled VW and Honda "D" series engine and transmission, I would surprised if it fit. However, I don't have a 914 to measure at the moment and I could be wrong.

Let me know what measurments you need. I am surrounded by 914s every day. I am within sight of about 25 of them.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
12/20/10 3:19 p.m.

My dad had a 2.0 914 for a DD back when they were new. It wasn't perfect, but it did work well enough to drive everyday for years.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
12/20/10 3:56 p.m.

Climate isn't the issue as far as rust with these cars, it's the voltage regulator OVERCHARGING the battery and causing it to "push" battery acid and acid fumes into the engine compartment. Tho, you also need to check BEHIND the panels COVERING the rockers and the jacking points.

I owned one of these in the mid '80s and while they are "entertaining" with just a 1.8, I would have loved to have had the proper rust-free chassis/shell to put a much more powerful engine into....and the necessary cash for the operation. These cars are one of the few I've ever driven that could handle more power.

BTW, Bryan's spelling is pretty bad, I hope his "wrenching" skills are much better.

Kiponator
Kiponator New Reader
12/20/10 7:49 p.m.

The car the original poster linked above looks like a steal for the asking price.

4 Pumpkin Escobar's of fury
4 Pumpkin Escobar's of fury SuperDork
12/20/10 8:26 p.m.

I have nothing to add aside from the fact that theres no car-guy in the world that can ignore the beautiful simplicity of a clean 914...

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
12/20/10 9:27 p.m.
4 Pumpkin Escobar's of fury wrote: I have nothing to add aside from the fact that theres no car-guy in the world that can ignore the beautiful simplicity of a clean 914...

So long as it is equipped with flares, it has potential. Of course the Euro turn signals don't hurt either. A stock flat fendered 914 is, frankly, bullocks.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
12/20/10 10:07 p.m.

Those are really cool little cars! About the only VW I'd ever want to own. You really don't see many around, they are bitchin little cars though.

I had a cousin with one and he drove over my foot, no damage to speak of, try that with a mercedes!

I'd love one in the 6 cylinder variety.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
12/20/10 10:19 p.m.

There is a 914 in the readers rides that is running a VW 1.8t drivetrain from a passat. The passat transmission is quite similar to the 914 trans so I can see how it would fit.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/21/10 6:06 a.m.

914 interiors are surprisingly roomy. Sit in a miata, or other sporty car and then a 914, in the Porsche you won't be touching shoulders with the passenger.

GRM had one as a project car, stipped it to the shell and fixed or updated about everything, maybe once things calm down after the Holidays Tim or Margie can give you more plusses and minusses of the model.

Dan

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
12/21/10 7:15 a.m.

I have all of the 914 project issues somewhere, I am sure I could read them again and give you the tips, but I am also sure I know them without reading it again.

If you get serious about getting a 914, let me know, I will give you some serious advice and help you with parts and prices (most people don't know, but we ALWAYS price match with our nationally advertised competitors.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
91kcXIsqzMLg7DRvgTwweBDPefrQAJYYbdTAjZY0fAapTtcNs6vjzlX3i0s2EkxA