the staff of Motorsport Marketing
the staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
12/2/13 11:20 a.m.

In 1996-and-newer models, the airbag light comes on often in the dash. This is typically due to the active seat belt receptacles located on each front seat. A scan tool will tell you which one to replace and reset your SRS light. Check engine lights are not overly common but are most likely caused by expired oxygen sensors. These sensors …

Read the rest of the story

Cedricn
Cedricn New Reader
2/15/21 1:19 a.m.

Did Canada or mexico market get the actual m3 e36 or did they also get the "e36 m3"? 

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/15/21 8:17 a.m.

Good idea to replace the detent balls and springs in the transmission.  They get weak and worn and the transmission will shift well again after the shifter bushing replacement.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/15/21 6:16 p.m.
Cedricn said:

Did Canada or mexico market get the actual m3 e36 or did they also get the "e36 m3"? 

Canada got the euro engined m3. Atleast a handful of them......

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
6/3/21 8:00 a.m.

The opening picture brings back memories; here's the '95 I had, prior to loading it up on the buyer's trailer.

Those are 18" E46 M3 alloys fitted (initially to clear a set of Stoptech front brakes, which now reside on the front of my ES/TS equipped '99 M Coupe...).  And wait, is that a BIMMERWORLD sticker I see on the window?!?!

I'm more a fan of the '98-'02 M Coupes & Rdstrs (trunkfloor spotwelds/differential mount failures not withstanding) and I'd bought this former M3 track-rat with an all blowed up engine to pilfer all the go-fast parts off it__specifically the Eurosport Twinscrew Supercharger setup.  I swapped in a stock S52 engine that came from a Louisiana M3 that was getting an LS3 swap (intimately familiar doing that swap myself) and then passed the yellow car on to a first time BMW owner to begin his own journey (that included turbocharging, and then an LS swap, but those are his stories to tell).

I have to say, after getting this car back on the road, still with an improved suspension, I certainly get why they're so popular; it just did everything well.  In all categories, acceleration, handling and braking, it exceeded my expectations__and I'm hard to please ;) 

wbstephen
wbstephen None
6/3/21 8:30 a.m.
Cedricn said:

Is an M2 not an M2 because the M2 Competition exists? The US spec car is still an M3. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 10:02 a.m.

I saw an M3 of that vintage on the road yesterday while driving my Elantra N. It was lowered a bit and had some tasteful updates like LED headlights. It occurred to me that while the Elantra N was certainly quicker and faster, it would never be anywhere near as cool. I still remember lusting after one every time it won a Car & Driver comparison. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/23 6:29 p.m.
wbstephen said:
Cedricn said:

Is an M2 not an M2 because the M2 Competition exists? The US spec car is still an M3. 

Before BMW officially began importing the North American spec M3 with its warmed over 328i engine, some Canadian dealers got their hands on some European M3s, somehow.

I have seen one in the US.  For sale fairly inexpensive for what it was.  Before it was 25 years old.

I wanted to buy, but had visions of an improperly imported car getting seized and crushed, so I let it go.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/23 6:58 p.m.
wbstephen said:
Cedricn said:

The M badge has been so thoroughly diluted by this point that I don't think anyone really cares any more. :)

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/23 7:21 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

I've been putting some miles on mine. Its a fun car and has way more pep down low than the e46 M3. 

Blackhalo
Blackhalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/6/23 9:32 p.m.

Would love to find a clean one for an OEM+ build for street/track usage.

What's a decently clean one going for these days?(Not Bring a Trailer quality, but average I guess)

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/6/23 9:33 p.m.

$15-20k  Closer to the 20k number if you want to actually have options of cars to purchase

Slippery
4/6/23 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Blackhalo :

10 years ago was the time to pick one up. 5-7k would get you what you wanted. 

I would probably look for an e90 328/330 nowadays. Faster/cheaper and plenty of parts at the junkyards if you need anything. 

Blackhalo
Blackhalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/23 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Awesome thanks.

Have my K swapped Integra that's mostly my track car, but getting the itch for a new build and want something rwd(that's not a Miata).

I'll be looking into those.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
4/7/23 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Blackhalo :

The 128i is another BMW that's worth looking at.  A plethora of M3 parts swap right onto them just like the E90s, just in a smaller package.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/1/23 7:17 p.m.

Loved my 99 M3. It was a ton of fun with 17x9s, Ground Control/koni suspension, and Vorschlag camber plates. 

Of note, RTAB limiters made a big difference in rear end feel for my car in autocross. 

SO much fun. Just the right amount of power to be fun, great handling. I sold mine for 12k about 15 years ago. I wonder if it has gone up in value by now.

I don't miss the German car experience, though. Got stranded once, almost twice. Once when the PS line burst. Another when the line from the clutch master to slave broke. 

Still had a blast, but glad I bought a Miata after that.

Slippery
6/1/23 7:55 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

A '99 is probably worth 20k easily now, if it was a rare color and had vaders more. . So yes, it went up in value. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/1/23 8:01 p.m.

It's titanium silver and has/had vaders. I just messaged the guy who bought it from me. It apparently now has a 6.0 iron block LS with 500 hp, gutted interior, and fender flares. Wowsers!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/2/23 9:04 a.m.

I have a 98 3/4/5 that I've been slowly restoring.  Just pulled the headliner to recover it and the a/c pillars.    It's a fun little car for sure. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tk6eXtxZFmeIBnsj9g6Q8pSfhfqaPGp2hCQ7fJ4ZnfB9xUnHCw1lhb9XPrS70Kuw