1 2
Vigo
Vigo Dork
7/4/11 11:31 a.m.
Loading the trailer correctly is necessary with a Dakota

No amount of properly loading is going to subtract weight, and that's the issue. The car weight is fine, ive towed up to about 4000 lbs on top of a dolley just fine with it, but once you take that 4000lbs and add a 2000 lb trailer to it, you get to the point where you're not as comfortable. Dont get me wrong, ive towed a diesel Ford front end loader on a tandem axle with it (10k or more) but i dont consider it safe, and i dont consider 6k+lbs confidence inspiring. Im not saying it wont do it.

Minivan would do fine if you tow a car on a dolly, on a trailer, it's dicey, but doable (a V6 one, not one of those I-4 Chryslers, yikes!).

The only way a minivan is dicey is transmission durability. Most of them weigh as much as a half-ton pickup.

And, gratuitously irrelevant 4cyl Chrysler link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw&feature=player_embedded

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/15/14 4:53 p.m.

Back from the dead!!

I am interested in getting a tow rig and really want a p71. However, they are all rated at 1500lbs which is less than useless for me. I would love to hit 5k with a trailer brake and such. Anyone have any thoughts here? It isn't like the panther got less robust after 96 or whenever they lowered the rating.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/15/14 6:10 p.m.

Gah! This thread again???

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/15/14 6:55 p.m.

I could have started a new one but thought this might be easier.

Edit: I have read enough in other places to convince me that the only thing keeping a stock 03+ Vic from towing 5k is spring rates in the rear. Well it is a good thing that the P71 ups that from something like 300 lb to 700 lb. Screw the rating. I am going to grab a p71 for nothing and throw a Class 3 hitch on with trailer brakes. Then I will raid a Grand Mar or Town car for the interior and have a sweet ass tow rig.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/15/14 7:51 p.m.

I think your plan will work. Trailer brakes are a very good thing if you plan to actually tow a car hauler trailer and not just a dolley. All of my towing with 'small' vehicles towing cars has been with a dolley. The few times ive used an actual 16-20ft trailer to move cars, everything short of a half ton pickup felt.. not great. Not horrible, just not great. I try to base my opinions off 'do i think i can avoid an accident in this thing'. For example, the old Dakota i used to tow with would pull a tandem axle with a car on it just fine, it just wouldnt stop it safely in an emergency because the front brakes were too easy to lock up and it didn't have abs. I think a p71 WITH trailer brakes towing a reasonable-weight car and trailer will be ok. Probably better than some half-tons.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/16/14 8:31 a.m.

That is what I am thinking. ABS, large rotors, good pads, and a lower rear ratio make the p71 sound awesome for the money. There was an 03 for sale locally for 1200. Holy Crap these things are cheap. I would probably spend more than that though

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LXpHysq7gzkhgO9FkZsinamNYsHIogn7Gbde7yxkAk3KX4xC8j4XKAWxnLffxaT6