1 2
penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
2/8/13 2:50 p.m.

I definitely have a penchant for asking GRMers to talk me out of buying 944s and 951s. So far, ya'll have been successful. But every couple of months another 951 pops up close to me. So I bring you the newest temptation: The first 951 of 2013 that I need my defacto automotive support group to tell me is a bad idea.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3536346192.html

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/8/13 2:55 p.m.

Look where its parked on the street, its probably parked there all the time, hence the numerous fluid leak stains on the ground.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/8/13 2:56 p.m.

Don't buy that.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/8/13 2:57 p.m.

Wonder how much boost he's pushing with that awesome boost controller setup.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/8/13 2:57 p.m.

It's rough unless you're going to make it a track car. If you're going to make it a track car then it seems kind of expensive.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/13 3:03 p.m.

I would offer $3500 and if he does not take it move on.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/8/13 3:04 p.m.

The seat is ripped, how could you even think of buying it now?

There, do you feel better now?

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/8/13 3:11 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Wonder how much boost he's pushing with that *awesome* boost controller setup.

Is that what the red/blue thing is sitting on the intake?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/8/13 3:11 p.m.

What group are you talking to?

Seriously, as a previous 951 owner, run away. Lowered too much, there will be issues, non Porsche wheels generally lower value, one year over due on timing belt replacement. That is not just a suggestion either. Mine broke just over 2 years. If that is not up to spec, you can rest assured most other maintenance on the car is not either. I bought one like that once, and it took a ton of money to make it right. You'd be money ahead waiting on the right car.

I love these things, but would never, ever, buy another one without proper maintenance and paperwork to back it up.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/8/13 3:13 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Wonder how much boost he's pushing with that *awesome* boost controller setup.
Is that what the red/blue thing is sitting on the intake?

Yuuuuup.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/8/13 3:25 p.m.

Looks driven hard and put away wet, I'd pass. There are plenty out there that have led pampered lives in garages. I'd find one of them--- it will save you $$ in the long run.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/8/13 4:15 p.m.

If you can get it for 4, you can part it out for 10...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/8/13 4:24 p.m.

Don't buy this.

plance1
plance1 Dork
2/8/13 4:25 p.m.

If the pixels were good I would buy it

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/13 4:27 p.m.

Oh boy, lowered too much, eBay "brake kit", knock-off wheels, shredded interior, dead cluster x2, "boost controller" and "CAI", and zero service records and a current owner who's done no maintenance, plus all the leaks in the road. I wouldn't touch this thing for more than $2K, personally.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/8/13 4:28 p.m.

The wheels should tell you everything you need to know. If that's not a big enough clue, check the section 8 housing in the background. I bet that car smells bad.

penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
2/8/13 4:33 p.m.

Haha. Thanks everyone. Irrational auto-lust sufficiently slaked for now.

Datsun, both. I just needed to be berated for a bit so that I didn't make a dumb decision.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/13 4:35 p.m.

Porsches aren't terribly expensive to own. But the interest rate for putting maintenance on layaway is horrendous.

plance1
plance1 Dork
2/8/13 4:49 p.m.

u guys are kidding about the leaks in the road, right, what did I miss? Did someone see some spots on the road where the photo was taken and jump to the conclusion that the vehicle leaks fluid? Seriously?

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
2/8/13 4:51 p.m.

Wheels are ugly and doesn't look right lowered. Don't buy it.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/8/13 4:53 p.m.

what leaks do you speak of?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/8/13 4:55 p.m.

Don't buy that.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/8/13 5:19 p.m.

I'd offer him $3-3500, then have it towed home to start fixing the broken stuff/deferred maintenance.

It doesn't look too bad and you can sell the stupid springs and wheels to some sucker on eBay.

Solid rotors/pads aren't too bad online through Pelican or RockAuto, etc.

Seat upholstery kits are available.

Timing belt parts are readily available and should be absolutely done before starting the motor.

Boost controller is fine, I've used them on my 'murican turbo cars without issue, even made them from Grainger or McMaster-Carr parts. There is a concernt that he may have it turned up too high, so a good compression check is required before purchasing.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/8/13 5:28 p.m.

I would try to avoid anything being sold in Cockeyesville!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/13 5:58 p.m.

Are you nuts? Don't buy that. feel better?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YjtmiOdx3a1sZeNNbEyIEBpmoT3DTbeLU7bD4mbe7GYOmEAGs2WxiwVXdEXNdS3o