1 2 3 ... 10
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/9/20 8:17 p.m.

There's some really interesting and distinct usernames on the GRM forum. 

In some cases, it's the name that was given by the member's parents. Others are a version of a sight gag (I'm looking at you, shrug).

I'm a veterinarian, and I've been active on multiple fishing and boating forums, hence floating doc.

How did you come up with yours? 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/20 8:20 p.m.

My friends have been calling me "tb" since high school since my first name is a very common Timothy and my middle name is the uncommon Beau. I think my friend eugene started it? Makes it easier than calling for "Tim" and having three people in the room reply "which one?"

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/9/20 8:23 p.m.

Back before there was a World Wide Web and "forums," we had these things called "Mailing Lists."  Some machine would host software and send emails out to everyone on the list.  You would reply and everyone else would get the email.  Weird, huh?  Well, I used to sign my emails 'Hess' which is what my friends call me.  Then, after much work and even more B.S., I got an M.D., so I started signing them 'Dr.Hess'. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/9/20 8:31 p.m.

My name is Ross. Last initial... wait for it... is a D.

Now my avatar picture is our cabin in Northern Wisconsin in the snow. 

Purple Frog

Sort of romantic, in a car guy sort of way.  About 20 years ago i was signing onto a forum and needed an avatar,,, at about 1 in the morning.  Couldn't think of anything as creative as many i now see on GRM.   Both me and my love always liked the color purple.  She has been very supportive of the whole racing life.  And, for years traveling all over the country  to race, she would insist we roll out a day early so she could stop at antique stores and thrift shops.  She always seemed to by things, whatever, with frogs on them.  So, at 1 a.m 20 years ago with the help of Captain Morgan I picked ... Purple Frog.

Named the construction business later the same.

Now, at race tracks all over North America, people call me Frog or Purple Frog.  most don't know my "official name"... and most the time i don't either.   I'm actually getting used to it now. wink

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 8:33 p.m.

In reply to tb :

tuberculosis is all i can think of

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/20 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) :

Maybe it is because I just earned the "Dr." Part like a year ago but I just can't get used to actually being called Doctor or referring to myself as such... maybe I should update my username!

Nah, not my style. I just found it interesting that so far this thread is highly educated.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/20 8:35 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tb :

tuberculosis is all i can think of

You are not alone, trust me... I dont mind the occasional times my friends call me that for variety. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 8:35 p.m.

Boxhead is (old) British military slang for a German. Which is where I'm from originally.

And I'm sure that everybody is stunned by the revelation that my first name can be abbreviated to Tim.

Edit: The avatar is a prototype of a small post-WW II Bugatti engine. Can't remember the exact specs but the engine is tiny and was very powerful for its time. Didn't go anywhere, though. Took the picture over a decade ago when we visited the Cite de l'Automobile (the old Schlumpf collection) in Mulhouse, France.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/9/20 8:36 p.m.

I'm in Kentucky.  I owned an Allroad for a time.

My avatar is an old pic of said car.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/20 8:36 p.m.

In 2000 when I graduated college I got a decent job doing computer networking.  My first real purchase was a one owner 1995 m3.  It was Daytona Violet ie; purple.  One of my buddies said the only person who would drive a purple car is a pimp...

No Time
No Time Dork
4/9/20 8:44 p.m.

"No Time" is pretty self explanatory. 

I have two boys that play travel hockey which starts late August both, and ends at thanksgiving for the older  boy, but goes until early April for the younger (but not this year). in additional to the travel hockey the younger one plays middle school and the older one plays HS hockey. 

Spring brings street hockey for the younger boy (I coach) and HS lacrosse for the older boy. 

After the sports, school activities, work, chores, and other obligations....

I'm left with "No Time" 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/9/20 8:45 p.m.

There was a magazine article on a 71 duster with the headline of dusterbd

I was dayling my 70 duster at the time. Aol was a thing, and i put dusterbd as me email name. Aol added some random numbers.  13 is my lucky number so i changed the random ones to 13.

Then forums became a thing, and it became my screen name.  

Should read aloud as disturbed 13.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

That is just a tired, old stereotype... personally I have never owned a purple car!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/9/20 8:46 p.m.

I used to have usernames that were car-specific (98fordtaurus didn't age well, in retrospect) so when I got a new to me 1996 Ford Thunderbird, I decided to switch over to something related to that car, but I wanted to be a bit more vague. I decided that, since it wasn't very fast, I'd go with "slow bird" or a variation thereof, and even though I don't have that car anymore, it lives on as a pretty good username.

The only problem is, if I ever get another Thunderbird, "SLOW BIRD" won't fit on a license plate. I can't decide between "SLO BIRD" and "SLOW BRD" cheeky

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/9/20 8:49 p.m.

Worked as oilfield trash for several years and during my breaks I would land in the USA and drive my 1990 Miata all over NA couch surfing with friends and family. Plates on the Miata read NOHOME.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
4/9/20 8:50 p.m.

My name is Brandon and I like alliteration.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
4/9/20 8:55 p.m.

Highschool nickname playing off of my last name. Couldn't think of anything original that I liked. 

edit: I lost a poker game and had to wear shiny spandex pants while snowboarding. That's the "span"

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/9/20 8:57 p.m.

My name is bill and I own a spitfire.  Two actually.  Added a TR3  couple of years ago, so maybe I should change to triumphbill.  

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 9:00 p.m.

Um... nothing too creative here. Now, *why* I chose to use my real name on this forum-

It helps me remember if I ever want to E36 M3 post, troll or be generally unpleasant because I'm grumpy, my real name is attached to it. It help keeps me in mature adult mode, since this is a mature forum.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I used to do the same thing but I got tired of trying to come up with something both cool enough to live with and model specific that also wasn't already taken...

I eventually went boring and just go with my name.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
4/9/20 9:01 p.m.

I was trying to come up with a name for a new character in a game i was playing. Well I always liked the story of Daedalus. Apparently I both can't spell and I am too lazy to spell check myself. So, the character ended up named Daeldalus. That character ended being the one that everyone in the game knew me by as well as the one i enjoyed playing the most.

From there I found that pretty much every name on the internet had already been taken but my misspelled mythological greek inventor was still available.

So that's what I am known by most places on the interweb now.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/9/20 9:02 p.m.

Parents gave me the name; the most common reaction I get from people I introduce myself to is, "Marjorie? I had an aunt named that. She was really old." Or they call me Majorie, like it's some sort of military rank. (People suck at it.) The avatar is an Aye-aye, which is odd, kind of terrifying, but weirdly cute, which is how I see myself in my better moments.

Margie

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/20 9:03 p.m.

Mine comes from the late 80s and early 90s when Anime was just making inroads into the US.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/9/20 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

Sometimes I think about making an anonymous screen name that isn't linked to me specifically for exactly the opposite reasons; then I realize that everyone knows I am an immature misanthrope and I cannot be bothered to hide it... 

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BL7euBpqwReINbSKXWjzABhHxT2bbgjuDe3aKRoaWvoePpZHrWmUKV9lWEWouDFv