1 2 3 ... 6
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/31/16 2:17 p.m.

In Seattle the ability to put a $1k deposit down seems popular. The line is 2 blocks long

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/31/16 2:41 p.m.

I'm reading this is happening at other Tesla locations. I'm a big Tesla fanboy and wish I could purchase one as well. Cool to see a new car company growing.

Desmond
Desmond HalfDork
3/31/16 2:42 p.m.

I was on the road the other day with a Tesla SUV looking thing. Came up behind me silently. Dude slowly made his way to the front of the traffic where I was at. Traffic finally opened up and he punched it. That thing took off, made the rest of us look like we were standing still. Made no noise as it disappeared like that, it was uncanny.

Fueled by Caffeine
3/31/16 2:48 p.m.

I see more teslas in Seattle than I can remember.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/31/16 3:17 p.m.

Wait, the production car hasn't been revealed yet, right? And no actual pricing? I'm feeling very old fashioned.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/31/16 3:20 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Wait, the production car hasn't been revealed yet, right? And no actual pricing? I'm feeling very old fashioned.

Today is the reveal, but the pricing is said to start at $35,000, rumored to have 200 or 300 miles range, and 0-60 in 4.0 s. The price has been touted for a while now, but the other specs are rumors.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/16 3:22 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Wait, the production car hasn't been revealed yet, right? And no actual pricing? I'm feeling very old fashioned.

I know, I at least like to know what I'm buying before I buy it. And I've bought crowdfunded pre-production stuff before.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
3/31/16 3:23 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: In Seattle the ability to put a $1k deposit down seems popular. The line is 2 blocks long

Half them are probably flippers.

Fueled by Caffeine
3/31/16 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non:

Probably not. 3/4 were Amazon employees due to the number of blue badges I saw hanging around their necks.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/31/16 3:33 p.m.
Egghead Racer wrote:
Today is the reveal, but the pricing is said to start at $35,000, rumored to have 200 or 300 miles range, and 0-60 in 4.0 s. The price has been touted for a while now, but the other specs are rumors.

I've heard the rumors too, but again, when prices and specs are all rumors.......it seems weird. Looking at how the other Teslas are priced, it seems like a $35k car could very easily be $50k. Just seems like that would matter to more people.
Don't get me wrong, if it's $35k (before tax subsidies) and has a 300 mile range, it'll be amazing and I'll go test drive one.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/31/16 4:00 p.m.

I've been waiting for this car to come out so old 60kwh Model S's will tank to <35k so i can buy one.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
3/31/16 4:26 p.m.

Doing a bunch of work with these guys on all their models. Prepare to be impressed. My 5 years ago self would cringe at how much I dig the Teslas...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/31/16 4:41 p.m.

I am very interested at that price point as well. I like Teslas.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/31/16 4:42 p.m.

And now they're opening up ordering an hour before the reveal? I'm going to mentally prepare myself to be blown away.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/31/16 4:49 p.m.

Won't these be eligible for the $7500 federal tax credit for an all electric vehicle?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
3/31/16 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed:

My guess is that is part of the $35,000 price tag. The actual base price is likely well over $40k.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/31/16 5:20 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Feedyurhed: My guess is that is part of the $35,000 price tag. The actual base price is likely well over $40k.

The 35k price tag is supposed to be before any rebates\incentives. Supposed to be.

Drew122
Drew122 New Reader
3/31/16 5:29 p.m.

Interesting and extremely tempting. So do you select your color and other options when you put down the deposit or is all that decided later?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/31/16 5:29 p.m.

That $7500 thing seems like it would be kind of important. If my math is correct, $7500 is 21% of $35,000. So the price could move by over 20% depending on which rumor you believe? The depositing people not caring about that is pretty impressive lack of price sensitivity.
The only other automotive sphere where price isn't much of a concern is the release of supercars. It's kind of fascinating to see it happen with 'normal' cars.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/31/16 5:42 p.m.

It's a federal tax credit program in effect until Tesla sells 200,000 cars, so it'll be there for a bit.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/31/16 6:24 p.m.
Egghead Racer wrote: It's a federal tax credit program in effect until Tesla sells 200,000 cars, so it'll be there for a bit.

Really? That's how it works? Is it the same for all manufacturers? Is it per year or total volume? I wouldn't want to be the 200,001 buyer then. Or any there after.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
3/31/16 6:32 p.m.

The 35k may not include sunvisors but it also does not include the 7500 tax credit.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
3/31/16 6:36 p.m.

Saw one of these the other day, black small SUV. Weird didn't realize they had been released.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/16 6:50 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Saw one of these the other day, black small SUV. Weird didn't realize they had been released.

That's the Model X, which is their expensive SUV. Their less-expensive compact sedan is the Model 3 which is what's getting unveiled tonight.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/16 6:55 p.m.

I am hopelessly in love with Tesla's ever since driving one. I will own one one day.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d5HumoCHEDjZZXDotpvKWwzafxIF2f96xQ44KqO0YYVu3zXAkJHW6cIHyGtaSJpo