1 2 3 4 ... 15
goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/20/19 8:16 a.m.

Considering 98% of new truck buyers just use their "trucks" to go and buy groceries and occasionally carry a potted plant in the bed, I'd say electric trucks make sense. 

For trucks, weight is a lesser issue and the packaging requirements are much less. 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/20/19 9:04 a.m.

I think it looks like the Hyundai concept truck. It also looks like the Warthog from Halo.

I like it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/20/19 12:47 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

I guess if it helps to weed out the truck population that hauls air most of it's life then its probably a good thing. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/20/19 1:26 p.m.

I absolutely need a truck to carry around my oversize brass spheres.

But 98% of other truck owners don't have that problem.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/20/19 1:49 p.m.

I would say close to 100% don't want to touch your spheres at all.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Rails make things much easier to tow. We would pull locomotives out of the round house with a 89 ford super duty with a 460 in it on a regular basis. So seeing that to me is really not that impressive all things considered. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/20/19 2:04 p.m.

I can’t wait to see this thread devolve into a few automotive enthusiasts judging other automotive enthusiasts because they choose to daily drive a pickup truck with the bed empty much of the time.

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord...

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/20/19 2:45 p.m.

:-/

sorry guys, I’ve been had. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
8/20/19 3:24 p.m.

That type of body style hasn’t particularly been that popular in trucks. Honda tried it with the ridgline and it wasn’t too poplar so even now they went with a actual bed. Gm doesn’t make the avalanche or the Escalade ext anyone either.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/19 6:43 p.m.

Tesla already makes a truck.

I have only seen ONE, and it had manufacturer plates on it.

However, I see so many Model 3s that it ain't funny. 

Knurled.
8/20/19 6:44 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

I can’t wait to see this thread devolve into a few automotive enthusiasts judging other automotive enthusiasts because they choose to daily drive a pickup truck with the bed empty much of the time.

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord...

Don't worry, that won't happen.  If you daily drive a pickup truck, you're not an automotive enthusiast...

*ducks*

Peter Egan wrote that the paradox, or irony, of being a Car Guy is that you find yourself driving a truck most of the time.  I have done everything in my power to try to not descend to that level.  Dammit I'm a car guy, that means I drive cars, so I am going to drive my competition car to and from events, and I am going to do parts runs in a car too.  In two weeks I get to drive some VERY fun roads while on the way to pick up a load of RX-7 parts (again), you bet I won't be saying "Man this would be fun if I wasn't in a truck", because I will be in teh S60R towing my trailer.  You don't know the trailer's back there even on fun roads.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/20/19 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Peter Egan drives a hot rodded 1956 Ford pickup, so he doesn't exactly fit the mold of the typical truck guy these days.  smiley

edited to correct myself:  I was totally brain dead when I wrote this...I was thinking of Pat Ganahl, not Peter Egan. blush  Disregard the sentence above.

Knurled.
8/20/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

When he wrote that was during the time he was waxing philosophical about the futility of trying to drill out rivets on a Lotus 7, and the tendency to go too coarse on sandpaper so that you end up creating more work for yourself as you then have to smooth out the channels left by the 16 grit you used to rough out the bodywork...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/19 9:28 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

That's pretty impressive.  I wonder if it being on a rail makes it a lot easier to tow?  1,000,000 pounds on something with inflated rubber tires might have interesting results.   

Yes and no. Those rail cars are made to be low rolling resistance, but you still need to get them moving. I doubt a regular Gas truck or any size would have been able to do it without burning out the clutch or the torque converter. EVs make max torque at zero RPMs, give it a slow roll to avoid breaking traction and it will just pull

Robbie
8/20/19 9:41 p.m.
Cooter said:

I would say close to 100% don't want to touch your spheres at all.

So you're saying there's a chance!

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/20/19 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I don't L often, but that time I did.  OL, even.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
8/20/19 10:22 p.m.

If the Tesla truck was for sale today and you could drive it away TODAY , the line would be around the block.......

The problem is that the EV world is catching up with Tesla  and there will be many EV Trucks  available by the time Tesla has a truck ready, 

Part of this will be that cities and states will make "Green" laws  that say that Government  must buy EV Trucks and cars with tax money , 

Time will tell.....

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
8/21/19 6:59 a.m.

So with the low rolling resistance of rail cars/roalroad, I wonder how that million pounds would compare to the Tesla Model X towing a Boeing 787, that apparently weighs 297,000lbs?  Of course at that point who really cares, it's all just a peepee size contest.  

I think Tesla will do fine with the truck.  It'll be under $50K Elon said, and knowing him it'll have 700 ft/lbs of torque minimum and do 0-60 in 3 seconds.  Tesla has a very different target customer than the F150 I think, so a (somewhat) affordable Tesla that has hauling/towing capabilities should do very well.  I can't throw a ping pong ball without it bouncing off three Model Ss here in Maryland.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/19 8:28 a.m.

You mean Truckla? I'd buy that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R35gWBtLCYg

Image result for truckla

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/19 8:56 a.m.

I'm actually very interested in the Tesla Truck.  I have a wife, boys and a dog to haul around daily.  I occasionally have to move dirty crap around and would like a truck bed.  Plus the option to tow a car to a track would be ideal.  Take away the issue of poor gas mileage, and this becomes a very compelling option.

Towing capacity ~300,000 lbs

"As good as a F-150"

"Drives like a 911"

If they deliver on that marketing hype, it'll be amazing.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
8/21/19 9:17 a.m.

I'm on the fence about a Tesla pickup, but if the side of the bed was 1980 pickup height instead of 2020 pickup height I'd buy one right now. 

What I really want from Tesla, though, is a compact tractor built around one of their motors driving the wheels and another driving a hydraulic pump. If they put together a Frankenstein monster of 4k# worth of two wheel motors, a battery pack, and some tractor wheels that would push snow around for a couple hours on a charge they could sell it for the price of their new cheaper car and they couldn't keep up with demand. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/19 9:45 a.m.

If I had the money I'd definitely like an electric pickup. It solves the biggest problem with DDing a pickup when you don't really need one, which is fuel cost/environmental impact. I'd want to compare the Tesla Pickup with the Rivian A1T first though.

java230
java230 UltraDork
8/21/19 10:06 a.m.

As to train towing, its thats a 3" tow strap (looks like it) it will likely have a MBS around 33k lbs.  Maybe a million pounds, but it doesn't take that much force to get it moving. And I do agree electric wins 100% in this one. Thats why locomotives are electric....

Back to the Electric Trucks. Bollinger FTW. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/19 10:09 a.m.

How about a Tesla minivan? Now hear me out... 

Some of us don't "need" the comically small, tall bed, but we DO need big, low cargo space, family space, and towing capacity for the weekends. The only things that do that are 4-door pickups or big SUVs. Replace the weak link in the traditional minivan - the car-based transmission - with a torquey EV drivetrain, and combined with the long wheelbase should tow as much as an electric truck. But with 4x8 sized cargo space. Now that's the EV I actually need.

Plus, gapping muscle cars at the strip doing AWD burnouts...

Robbie
8/21/19 10:31 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

If Tesla made a minivan not only would I buy one for the family, I'd also buy as many as I could finance.

I'd outfit them with airline-style beds and comfy chairs and wifi and start running concierge service between east coast cities. Get on, sleep, arrive at your destination for the same price as a flight. No security hassle, no waiting for delays, no parking, bag fees, airports, or other idiots sitting next to you.

And then, as soon as the Tesla's become fully self driving, my profits skyrocket since I no longer have to pay the drivers.

1 2 3 4 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
slUwVnwMJ997AZ7duSiZVFrXqs3CrF8T3cBDzXocQEPCb80eEp9oHlcSmdve0bWR