Cooper_Tired HalfDork
Aug. 29, 2016 5:55 p.m.

I test drove and fell in love with the FoST about 2 yrs ago, but never pulled the trigger.

I ended up in an NB Miata, which is great, but the lack of extra seats is getting tough

Anyhow the local dealer got a '15 Fiesta ST on trade and I thought I'd check it out.

Ho-Lee-Crap, that thing is a riot. I drove it for about 3 miles and realized I'd be in jail if I owned one. I didn't beat on it, but it felt like it just wanted more any time you gave it throttle. And the noises were perfect.

It doesn't feel like a small car in the seat, and the brakes were excellent.

It was really hard to hide the grin returning the keys to the dealer. My Miata felt like a slug on the drive home.

I need to drive a FoST again to compare, but I think the FiST may be more fun.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
Aug. 29, 2016 6:06 p.m.

Seems like about the ideal car in many ways!

1966stang
1966stang Reader
Aug. 29, 2016 6:07 p.m.

I also came very, very close to put on my the trigger on a FOST, they were getting ready to load it onto a car hauler in Michigan when I got cold feet and backed out.

T.J. UltimaDork
Aug. 29, 2016 6:47 p.m.

I have stayed away from Ford dealers since before these were out. I like the base fiestas I get as rentals for what they are. I know I would love a FiST.

Cooper_Tired HalfDork
Aug. 29, 2016 7:09 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I have stayed away from Ford dealers since before these were out. I like the base fiestas I get as rentals for what they are. I know I would love a FiST.

You've got to try one.

I knew it would be good going in, but still left surprised. It took about 3/10 of a mile before being wowed.

Knurled MegaDork
Aug. 29, 2016 7:38 p.m.

I'd want one with the license plate ANGER.

Looking over the specs, though, it's only a LITTLE more hp/weight than my Volvo (about same HP, about a passenger less weight), it's narrower, and it's only available with a manual so power delivery is going to be less than optimal. Is the chassis THAT awesome?

I am having a crisis of faith. There are all sorts of incredible new vehicles out there that I want, but I seem to accidentally have stumbled into a really REALLY awesome car. This should please the thrifty part of me but it does not please the part of me that wants to play with all of the cool awesome.

Wall-e MegaDork
Aug. 29, 2016 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I'd see if I could get "ING" or "ED".

84FSP Dork
Aug. 29, 2016 7:47 p.m.

Lol - right next to the L7 sticker

Knurled MegaDork
Aug. 29, 2016 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

I still occasionally cruise the for sale ads for E46 M3s. If I found one in a Knurled price range, it for sure would get a UC Berkeley window sticker in it, and a license plate that said "NO E36 M3".

I'd do it, too. I have no fear of tithing extra to the state for personalized plates for really stupid reasons.

FWIW, this thread REALLY makes me want to enter my Volvo in PF an RallyCross Nationals this year. The only "hot cars" are FiSTs. I might podium.

Cooper_Tired HalfDork
Aug. 29, 2016 8:14 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I'd want one with the license plate ANGER. Looking over the specs, though, it's only a LITTLE more hp/weight than my Volvo (about same HP, about a passenger less weight), it's narrower, and it's only available with a manual so power delivery is going to be less than optimal. Is the chassis THAT awesome? I am having a crisis of faith. There are all sorts of incredible new vehicles out there that I want, but I seem to accidentally have stumbled into a really REALLY awesome car. This should please the thrifty part of me but it does not please the part of me that wants to play with all of the cool awesome.

Is it that great? Hard to say. I've not driven many newer cars, and even fewer with power.

I'm sure it's not the most capable vehicle, but it was fun. It was begging for stupid driving. Coming from a Miata that just grips, having something break the tires loose almost on command was a riot.

mazdeuce UltimaDork
Aug. 29, 2016 8:14 p.m.

A proper LSD overcomes all in PF. I've driven a FiST in the dirt, and it's good, but not as good as a CivicSi with an LSD.
On pavement it's a different world and both the FoST and FiST are awesome. Totally worth owning.

pinchvalve MegaDork
Aug. 29, 2016 9:00 p.m.

I've been daily driving and autocrossing a FiST for two years now, just hit the track for the first time and recently signed up for several more years in the FiST. It really is that good. When you drive it, and I know this is cliche', it's like an extension of your body. You can feel what the car is doing, and it responds instantly to your input. The chassis is amazing, the engine is so strong, and at 2750 pounds, it out-brakes everything.

I just upgraded the brake pads and rotors, and will be adding front and rear sway bars soon. I am focusing on handling first to reduce some body roll and keep the tires planted at the autocross. Next summer, I dive into more power! Buy one, you will not regret it for a second.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
Aug. 30, 2016 7:13 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve: This is on my short list. Thinking if the wife drives it, we may be taking one home.

Duke MegaDork
Aug. 30, 2016 8:05 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: In reply to Knurled: I'd see if I could get "ING" or "ED".

I think I'd prefer "ING" out of those choices...

I've been trying to get DD#1 to replace her aging Impreza wagon with a FiST or FoST, but she's hung up on wanting AWD.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
Aug. 30, 2016 8:59 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Wall-e wrote: In reply to Knurled: I'd see if I could get "ING" or "ED".

I think I'd prefer "ING" out of those choices...

I've been trying to get DD#1 to replace her aging Impreza wagon with a FiST or FoST, but she's hung up on wanting AWD.

I do not get why everyone thinks they need AWD. Unless you are in Vermont, the wilds of Colorado, or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I do not see the need.

iceracer PowerDork
Aug. 30, 2016 9:24 a.m.

Right. Put four Blizzaks on my Fiesta SE and I have no problem getting around upstate NY and VT in the winter.

Cooper_Tired HalfDork
Aug. 30, 2016 12:30 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I've been daily driving and autocrossing a FiST for two years now, just hit the track for the first time and recently signed up for several more years in the FiST. It really is that good. When you drive it, and I know this is cliche', it's like an extension of your body. You can feel what the car is doing, and it responds instantly to your input. The chassis is amazing, the engine is so strong, and at 2750 pounds, it out-brakes everything. I just upgraded the brake pads and rotors, and will be adding front and rear sway bars soon. I am focusing on handling first to reduce some body roll and keep the tires planted at the autocross. Next summer, I dive into more power! Buy one, you will not regret it for a second.

Which seats do you have, the base or the recaro? And do they have a vertical adjustment?

Duke MegaDork
Aug. 30, 2016 12:35 p.m.
ChrisHachet wrote:
Duke wrote: I've been trying to get DD#1 to replace her aging Impreza wagon with a FiST or FoST, but she's hung up on wanting AWD.

I do not get why everyone thinks they need AWD. Unless you are in Vermont, the wilds of Colorado, or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I do not see the need.

Knurled MegaDork
Aug. 30, 2016 4:46 p.m.
ChrisHachet wrote:
Duke wrote:
Wall-e wrote: In reply to Knurled: I'd see if I could get "ING" or "ED".

I think I'd prefer "ING" out of those choices...

I've been trying to get DD#1 to replace her aging Impreza wagon with a FiST or FoST, but she's hung up on wanting AWD.

I do not get why everyone thinks they need AWD. Unless you are in Vermont, the wilds of Colorado, or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I do not see the need.

Willing to pay a premium for the car, moderately higher maintenance costs, and higher fuel costs over the life of the vehicle, because they're too cheap to buy good winter tires every couple years?

I've had a few AWD vehicles, the best winter car I have had by far was an A2 Golf with a set of WS50s.

pinchvalve MegaDork
Aug. 30, 2016 8:51 p.m.

I have the base seats, no way my frame was fitting in the Recaros. They have plenty of support for the autocross and track so far, I have never wanted for the Recaros.

The seats have some vertical travel, yes. A manual adjustment, but it is there. Most people assume it is the lever for the seat back angle, but that adjustment is farther back and harder to find.

I live in Pittsburgh and ran a set of Blizzaks the last two winters. Never needed AWD that I can recall, snow-packed roads were no problem. With the traction control and ESC, the FiST is actually pretty darn good in the snow.

pinchvalve MegaDork
Aug. 30, 2016 8:54 p.m.

Better than the MR2, can you believe I couldn't even back out of the driveway? RWD I guess.

pinchvalve MegaDork
Aug. 30, 2016 9:03 p.m.


Back when it was in GS

pinchvalve MegaDork
Aug. 30, 2016 9:06 p.m.

Current HS trim, soon to be moving up.

Cooper_Tired HalfDork
Aug. 30, 2016 9:08 p.m.

Temptation!

There's a 40k mile one in Columbus for 14k. Which seems really cheap for that much car. I'd just need to see how low I can get the seat, as the one I drove set up too high for my tastes.

bmw88rider Dork
Aug. 30, 2016 10:00 p.m.

Shoot, a brand new one is 19K with 0% financing locally.

Pinchvalve, you just answered my question on snow capability. It's been on my mind with a possible move to the Colorado front range being very strongly considered.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

9 hours ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

9 hours ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

1 day ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

1 day ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

1 day ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

2 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

2 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

3 days ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

3 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

3 days ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

What Was the Most Powerful Car at the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day?

3 days ago in News

What if we told you it was an Audi?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
UYQ4b9pvkBxGKHYkWOdMYwhgX9l48HIh