DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/29/14 7:57 p.m.

I'm pretty impressed. I took my wife's Forester in for some warranty issues that turned out to be her own doing...While I was waiting I convinced a salesman to let me take a new WRX for a spin. It was a CVT model which was a bummer; but, overall I was very impressed with the new model. Handling, interior quality seems to be light years better than the outgoing model (yet still not up to par with the current Si and ST cars) even though the dash is the exact same layout as the Forester. Even the CVT in # mode was pretty fun with all "8" speeds. If I wasn't looking to stop making car payments I would totally rock one of these things even after I cursed the 2012 I had. I couldn't get over how great the chassis felt through the turns even at pedestrian speeds. I would like to see a hatch version w/ CVT. That would be wifes car in a heartbeat.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/29/14 8:01 p.m.

how fast does the cvt shift when in that mode?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/29/14 8:24 p.m.

Instantaneously as it should. With a CVT and a paddle shifter it's simply like pressing a button on a video game and the CVT adjusting the tension. Theoretically you could have endless amounts of shifts with this setup.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/29/14 10:10 p.m.

Sound nice. I have only heard good things about the subie CVT.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/29/14 10:27 p.m.

The one in the Forester isn't bad at all. It's got a bit of a judder on decel but other than that one of the better "autos" I've driven in a while and I'm in rentals all the time.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/29/14 10:42 p.m.

I have posted this before but I drove one back in June and was so impressed I promptly ordered one. Still waiting but it should be in within a few weeks. I am no Subie newbie as this will be my sixth but I was all set to order a M235i. Also a wonderful vehicle but at nearly 15K more I went with the WRX. No CVT for me though.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/30/14 9:25 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Sound nice. I have only heard good things about the subie CVT.

They've been working on it for 20+ years, so it ought to be good by now...

(Re: original Justy)

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/14 11:31 a.m.

One of the ladies at our autox has the new STI. Looks good inside and out. I like how much extra room there is in the back seat now.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/30/14 6:02 p.m.

The large trunk and bigger back seat are nice. And yes the CVT is almost as nice as the one on my 1985 Polaris 250cc four-wheeler.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
9/30/14 9:45 p.m.

Wife has a Crosstrek with the cvt, and I've often thought it would be fun with a turbo attached, motor just sitting at the power peak as you accelerate to ludicrous speed.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/1/14 1:52 p.m.

I've had the pleasure of running both the cvt and manual wrx's via work. Never thought I'd say I like a cvt, but I like it. I'd seriously consider putting one in my hillclimb car, as it would be very good out of corners, despite losing some on launch. We also have a cvt crosstrek, and it is still good, but the "tune" of it in the wrx version is quite nice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NgkUnKB2yAXmvsg53LNGu3tslOLkvxH0raMwGdlkjNVJG8VoDq2Rxp5AxLkJJarU