corby_baby New Reader
Feb. 1, 2011 10:34 p.m.

After not making it out to the 2010 challenge, we decided it was in our best interests to move each car to a 2 year build. This was due to a combination of school, availability, and the quality we wanted our cars to be at. It was just not possible to finish in a year. With that being said, the miata is still underway and we have every intention of bringing it to the 2011 challenge this year. The idea behind doing a 2 year build is that we will bring a different car every year instead of every other year so we should have some build overlap between two cars.

One of our goals for the 2012 build was to do something completely different but still be overall competitive. After throwing some ideas around we finally came up with something that fit into our criteria. Below are pictures of our 1974 Spitfire Triumph that is soon to be Honda powered to replace its current 91 cubic inches of fury!!

unevolved HalfDork
Feb. 1, 2011 10:56 p.m.

Man, that's a good looking truck. Look at that sticker in the bottom right corner. Damn.

Corbin and I were sitting in Thermo this morning, and decided to text this guy. The guy had already had another offer, and since my professor let me skip Mechanical Design, I was able to get to the seller faster than the other guy and hauled the car away 6 hours later.

CarKid1989 Dork
Feb. 1, 2011 11:06 p.m.

honda powered? meaning s2000 or motorcycle?

unevolved HalfDork
Feb. 1, 2011 11:19 p.m.

There's a clue in one of the pictures.

AngryCorvair SuperDork
Feb. 2, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Sweet!

Curmudgeon SuperDork
Feb. 2, 2011 9:58 a.m.

As a fellow Challenge Spitfire guy, let me say: it ain't gonna be easy!

itsarebuild Reader
Feb. 2, 2011 3:22 p.m.

i like the engine placement!

Kendall_Jones Reader
Feb. 2, 2011 3:28 p.m.

Damn you southern states. That thing looks solid. Also, that weber carb & intake is worth some $$ on ebay :)

KJ

Feb. 2, 2011 4:13 p.m.

I have a fibreglass hood with hood bump in it

Tom Suddard SonDork
Feb. 2, 2011 4:26 p.m.

All I'll say is you should be expecting some fellow Spitfire competition.

unevolved HalfDork
Feb. 2, 2011 5:32 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: All I'll say is you should be expecting some fellow Spitfire competition.

I saw your thread, and I think it's safe to assume that while we're using the same chassis, we're taking it in completely different directions.

Oh, and Corbin forgot to mention the guy threw in a hardtop! SEXY

Tom Suddard SonDork
Feb. 2, 2011 5:44 p.m.

I've got that same hardtop...

I call flat black. You can't have it.

unevolved HalfDork
Feb. 2, 2011 5:50 p.m.

No, we already called that. We called it a while back. I've got a whole team that will back me up.

Tom Suddard SonDork
Feb. 2, 2011 5:54 p.m.

Spitfire squadron? We could have yellow stripes and harass Hongs...

corby_baby New Reader
Feb. 2, 2011 6:57 p.m.

You can see the hardtop in the second picture. We should get some vinyls made for the spitfire squadron hahaha.

alfadriver SuperDork
Feb. 2, 2011 7:00 p.m.
corby_baby wrote: You can see the hardtop in the second picture. We should get some vinyls made for the spitfire squadron hahaha.

So if you both use an Axis engine, the irony would be pretty massive.

Tom Suddard SonDork
Feb. 2, 2011 7:22 p.m.

That's what I thought. I briefly considered a "BMW Power" windshield banner, but now I think I'm just going to get little stickers to replace the stock emblems that say "SpitHigher"

ArthurDent Reader
Feb. 2, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Very nice. You can sell those hard tops for a decent price too. Probably the hardest part about a Spitfire engine swap is having to swapping out the rear axle.

MrJoshua SuperDork
Feb. 2, 2011 10:28 p.m.
ArthurDent wrote: Very nice. You can sell those hard tops for a decent price too. Probably the hardest part about a Spitfire engine swap is having to swapping out the rear axle.

Are they worth much? I have a scraped up metal one I want to sell but have no idea where or how much.

midknight
midknight Reader
Feb. 2, 2011 10:55 p.m.

Ah, that's going to be sweet with the S2000 motor. A Contendah!!

corby_baby New Reader
Feb. 2, 2011 11:45 p.m.
midknight wrote: Ah, that's going to be sweet with the S2000 motor. A Contendah!!

im afraid there isnt a single s2000 setup that would fit into the $2012 dollar budget alone (unless its stolen ).

AngryCorvair SuperDork
Feb. 3, 2011 9:09 a.m.
unevolved wrote: No, we already called that. We called it a while back. I've got a whole team that will back me up.

No way, dudes. You've gotta keep that funktastic purple!

Scott Lear Production Editor
Feb. 3, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Can't wait to see it in action, glad you guys are planning so far ahead!

purplepeopleeater
Feb. 3, 2011 9:24 a.m.

There used to be a guy with a S2000 powered Spit, I forget his name but he marketed camber compensators & a sticker that read "SPIT HAPPENS"

unevolved HalfDork
Feb. 3, 2011 10:13 a.m.
Scott Lear wrote: Can't wait to see it in action, glad you guys are planning so far ahead!

Yeah, we kinda had to after our logistical issues last year. But now we're in a new shop, have some money in our pockets, and things are looking much brighter for the 2011 build.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

2 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

2 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

2 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

3 days ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

3 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

3 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

3 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

4 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

4 days ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

5 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

5 days ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ds35Np5BCQJn39TYZ6Zln3XmAKfO3946