1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
2/9/09 9:24 a.m.
Josh wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
carguy123 wrote: I wonder if Americans just didn't get it with Adam Carolla? I know I wouldn't.
That was my issue. However much a carguy Adam was, his TV "personality" is somewhat of a jacakass, IMHO. At least for a program like this. E-
And how is this in ANY way different than Clarkson?

Mainly that Clarkson doesn't make fun of people for being smart.

He's a smart ass, no doubt. But he's not going to belittle you for being smart or doing something innovative.

That was what really made me not watch the man show.

But it's also the reason I think Leno would be the best host. Just find him a pair of sidekicks....

E-

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/9/09 9:43 a.m.

I still think a lift of the original show aired in place of one of the late night shows (11:30 - 1:00?) with a good grouping of people that are relative unknowns could be a hot ticket as well.

NBC sell it off to Fox or ABC because you will not pull any of Jays core viewers.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
2/9/09 10:39 a.m.

Funny how many Americans already WATCH and enjoy TG, even with the fact that often the cars aren't available here, and the "stars in a reasonably priced car" are often unknown to us.

And yet, it's too intelligent for Americans? Rubbish.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/9/09 11:08 a.m.

Poppycock, even.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
2/9/09 11:40 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Funny how many Americans already WATCH and enjoy TG, even with the fact that often the cars aren't available here, and the "stars in a reasonably priced car" are often unknown to us.

Although there is a good fan base, I don't think it's enough viewers to warrant spending the money on it. I'd be curious what market share the BBC America showings pulled. I'm guessing it's not that great.

-Rob

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/9/09 11:56 a.m.

I would bet if BBC America put them on PBS it would be one of PBSs top shows in viewership regularly.

the fact that it is not hot on BBC America is like saying I can't understand why you guys don't listen to my local radio station.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
2/9/09 8:31 p.m.
Duke wrote:
gamby wrote: (cut and pasted from what I said on another forum about this same article) I agree w/ Clarkson. Top Gear in its true form is WAY too intelligent for the general American viewing audience.
He's joking, right? I mean, even the Great Clarkson can't have his head that far up his ass? I've watched hours and hours of Top Gear, and I've never seen anything remotely "too intelligent" for the general American audience. I agree that an American-produced version would not be good, but it has nothing to do with the original being "too intelligent" for American audiences. That E36 M3 pisses me off. And:
ignorant wrote: Friends was a lose and more clean version of Coupling..
Except for the fact that Friends predates Coupling by a good 6 years. So let's more accurately call Coupling a "dirtier and funnier version of Friends." There was an American version of Coupling which was, predictably, awful - but it was made long after Friends was canceled.

Except NBC actually ran a couple of episodes of Coupling that was redone with American actors and re-written to have commercials in it. The plot was even the same as the British version. It was terrible and died a quick and much deserved death.

Luke
Luke Dork
2/9/09 8:39 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Poppycock, even.

Bollocks!, perhaps.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
2/9/09 11:30 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Sucks. I was hoping to hear Adam Corolla rife on some crap cars and blow some stuff up. Focus group audiences suck too. Bastards, had to ruin it for the rest of us.

Y'know, I'm not a big fan of pop "culture". I didn't even know who Adam Corolla is. But when I looked it up, I couldn't help but notice that the man actually resembles Clarkson a lil' bit...

Duke
Duke Dork
2/10/09 9:11 a.m.
stumpmj wrote: Except NBC actually ran a couple of episodes of Coupling that was redone with American actors and re-written to have commercials in it. The plot was even the same as the British version. It was terrible and died a quick and much deserved death.

Which is exactly what I was referring to in the last 2 lines of my post. However, that was made as a potential replacement for Friends, not as a precursor.

Let me be clear: I hate Friends. I just dislike the common opinion that Americans can't come up with anything popular and successful without ripping it off from someone else.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/10/09 9:33 a.m.

and I was merely pointing out that some successful ports from the UK to here have happened.

So..... I was wrong about friends.. I was trying to make that point that americans aren't too stupid for british style humor.. Some of the stuff just dosen't carry as well cross culturally. The brits say.. "two cultures separated by a common language"

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/10/09 12:25 p.m.
ignorant wrote: and I was merely pointing out that some successful ports from the UK to here have happened. So..... I was wrong about friends.. I was trying to make that point that americans aren't too stupid for british style humor.. Some of the stuff just dosen't carry as well cross culturally. The brits say.. "two cultures separated by a common language"

Bollocks to that. I wish they'd just speak English like us Americans.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IZCdqsVjfqJWABIVpBGlO7wqn5S6P3lWi2sGipjlnc4D8vEfEr4CKbMSYsD1vXxc