Jerry SuperDork
March 25, 2015 5:55 a.m.

Drag DR-27 wheels and BF Goodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 tires. I just didn't see anything on Tirerack that I liked, at least not $100-150. Thought about craigslist but didn't want to buy someone else's bent/curbed problems. A quick glance on Discount Tire's website & for $100 I fell in love with the exposed allen screws.

The installer kid came out to compliment me on the car, and when it was done I went out to show them how to fit 4 wheels inside for the trip home. 4-5 guys, pretty much the whole shop, were walking around it drooling. At least two jaws hit the floor when I told them I only paid $1500 for it...

trucke HalfDork
March 25, 2015 6:51 a.m.
At least two jaws hit the floor when I told them I only paid $1500 for it...

My jaw dropped too! Awesome score and the wheels really sweeten it.

Storz Dork
March 25, 2015 7:04 a.m.
Jerry wrote: Drag DR-27 wheels and BF Goodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 tires. I just didn't see anything on Tirerack that I liked, at least not $100-150. Thought about craigslist but didn't want to buy someone else's bent/curbed problems. A quick glance on Discount Tire's website & for $100 I fell in love with the exposed allen screws. The installer kid came out to compliment me on the car, and when it was done I went out to show them how to fit 4 wheels inside for the trip home. 4-5 guys, pretty much the whole shop, were walking around it drooling. At least two jaws hit the floor when I told them I only paid $1500 for it...

Whoa!! What state/area are you in, I think that might be my old MR2...

dean1484 MegaDork
March 25, 2015 7:10 a.m.

If you had just posted pix of the rims I probably would not have picked them but dam do those look good on that car. Great choice!!!!

paddylopez New Reader
March 25, 2015 7:11 a.m.

Those look fantastic! I went with the faux rivet look on my Subaru as well, just adds a touch of class to my heavy, Chinese-built one-piece CL specials.

Jerry SuperDork
March 25, 2015 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Ohio. I bought it off a friend that bought it with the intent to work on it with his dad. His dad passed away last year & friend decided no vested interest, too many other projects, and offered me that swee deal I couldn't refuse. Trying to remember where he bought it, WI? MI? Had some 3-spoke wheels when he bought it. Actually here's a photo he had posted:

Storz Dork
March 25, 2015 8:49 a.m.

That has got to be it! I am from SE Michigan originally. I bought the car in like 2002 with a blown motor, did a full down to the bare block rebuild as part of a class at Central Michigan University in 2003, I eventually sold it back to the guy I bought it from (Mike Burns) in the fall of 2004. Mike is the one who actually did the paint job on it. This is what it looked like when I had it. I spent 100s and 100s of hours on that car.

mndsm MegaDork
March 25, 2015 9:02 a.m.

Damn, while about the last wheel I would have picked for that car, they sure do work.

trucke HalfDork
March 25, 2015 9:04 a.m.

If you guys PM the VIN, you would know for certain it was the same car.

March 25, 2015 9:06 a.m.

Storz and Jerry have to team up for $2015 challenge now, it has been written

Storz Dork
March 25, 2015 9:18 a.m.
trucke wrote: If you guys PM the VIN, you would know for certain it was the same car.

I don't think I have anything anymore that would have that information on it sadly. With that paint job though (non factory, two tone) and the geographic area I have to beleive thats it.

March 25, 2015 9:23 a.m.

Now kiss...

T.J. PowerDork
March 25, 2015 9:30 a.m.

I like those wheels on the car. That thing looks sweet and sounds like you got it for a too good to pass up deal.

Jerry SuperDork
March 25, 2015 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Pretty sure it's a factory two-tone color though. In any case, it could be...

Appleseed MegaDork
March 25, 2015 11:01 a.m.

I never thought I'd say this but those 3 spokes don't look that bad.

Jerry SuperDork
March 25, 2015 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

They were a possible second choice from what was on it when I bought it, but I really wanted something good. And this was my "splurge" from tax return this year. (Drove it today, the ride is night/day difference from the old crappy all-season almost-bald things it had)

Knurled UltimaDork
March 25, 2015 12:36 p.m.

This thread delivers on multiple levels.

I agree with the sentiment, the wheels look not so good when examined by themselves, but when you wrap them with an MR2, it just plain works.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Meet the Great Kimini

15 hours ago in Articles

British charm meets Japanese spunk.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

15 hours ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

Meet Us at Put-In-Bay This Weekend

19 hours ago in News

We're headed to South Bass Island, Ohio, this weekend for the ninth annual Put-in-Bay Road Race Reunion.

Hang With Us at Gridlife This Weekend

19 hours ago in News

What’s #GRIDLIFE? The festival describes itself simply: Where speed meets sound.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LS

21 hours ago in New Car Reviews

275 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque. Back in the day, that was pretty good for a V8-powered pony car. ...

Your Projects: New Wheels for Gimp’s Camaro

22 hours ago in News

Dogs shown for scale.

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

22 hours ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

1 day ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

1 day ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

2 days ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
p8erl6gyRbKAg2SXPvoXXJFsKa2yjb4H