1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/23/20 11:27 a.m.
feature_image

We know that the universe has thrown a monkey wrench into the holidays this year, so we have a little diversion planned for Turkey Day week. Call it a way to blow off a little steam, and you get to help us with some future editorial–and maybe get your virtual race car in the magazine at the same time.

We're …

Read the rest of the story

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/20 12:45 p.m.

Sweet! in to have fun in the back of the pack.

we run MX-5's on the ring in the Wednesday night league I got invited to by TXRatti so looking forward to that especially.

Pulled in TXRatti as well

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 1:36 p.m.

How do I join in with a PS2? laugh

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 1:53 p.m.

Dang that could be lots of fun.  I have a PC more than capable set up with another PC racing game on it.  The real question is can some one that has never done I racing join in and get in to the GRM races or is there a experience/safety level that is required before we can join?  Also what does IRacing cost these days?

The GTE cars at Mt. Panorama is the race that I would love to join in.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/20 1:56 p.m.

As a side bar are you going to discuss in your upcoming story the opportunity that virtual racing gives to drive tracks that are no longer here? 

In the other game I play on PC they have a user made Bridgehampton track and it is VERY good.  I was lucky enough to have driven the real thing but with it gone the only way I can share the experience with people is virtually.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/23/20 2:09 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Also what does IRacing cost these days?

If you are or know a SCCA member, the welcome packet should have a code good for 3 months subscription. 

Roughly $10 a month + the (optional) cost of additional cars & tracks.  Memberships go on 25% off sale once a year for Black Friday.  They offer volume discounts when you purchase multiple cars + tracks together.

To participate in the GTE race at Mt. Panorama expect to pay $12 for a GTE car and $15 for the track.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/23/20 2:11 p.m.

Oh heck, I'm gonna have to show up for some of these.

11/23/20 2:30 p.m.
red_stapler said:
dean1484 said:

Also what does IRacing cost these days?

If you are or know a SCCA member, the welcome packet should have a code good for 3 months subscription. 

Roughly $10 a month + the (optional) cost of additional cars & tracks.  Memberships go on 25% off sale once a year for Black Friday.  They offer volume discounts when you purchase multiple cars + tracks together.

To participate in the GTE race at Mt. Panorama expect to pay $12 for a GTE car and $15 for the track.

you can also get 50% off of any membership lenth you buy when you first join, so if you buy in all the way early, you can get 2 years for $100.

BUT that is a large commitment upfront. but just figured it was worth mentioning.

JG Pasterjak
11/23/20 2:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

How do I join in with a PS2? laugh

BA

abenagh
abenagh GRM+ Member
11/23/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Thanks for putting these together! For anyone who cant race themselves I will be streaming my POV on my twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/crashdor_maldanardo for the Races on Monday and Friday!

jhhyde
jhhyde
11/23/20 6:27 p.m.

Hey GRM team, great idea! Don't forget on the ring, if you're going to allow custom paint jobs from creators that you'll need to have our .tga files for your screenshot team (if you're taking the photos.) Maybe we can email/dropbox them to you? 

tbear2500
tbear2500
11/23/20 6:30 p.m.

I'll try to livestream if I make it on tonight, but my computer might not be able to encode video and run iRacing at the same time. twitch.tv/tbear2500. Hope to see y'all on track!

james Kepford
james Kepford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/23/20 8:59 p.m.

Well not going to make it tonight, but might try on Tuesday. Skippy been my favorite car since well it was the only car we had in early testing.  :)

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/23/20 10:19 p.m.

Whew, that was fun. I had a couple small mistakes early on, but overall mostly kept it on track. Then I realized we didn't have enough fuel to make it all the way and that threw me off for several laps while I tried to do math and drive at the same time laugh

I started right behind you JG, but I didn't see what happened to you in the first turn. I was taking it easy and just trying to squeeze through the carnage.

11/23/20 10:32 p.m.

I was as bad as i expected to be... and after what happened to me on lap 3 getting pinched after pit out.. i just stopped chasing a super fast lap because the leaders were on me fast and i just was trying to be out of the way.. but it was a TON a fun.

JG Pasterjak
11/23/20 11:05 p.m.
slowbird said:

Whew, that was fun. I had a couple small mistakes early on, but overall mostly kept it on track. Then I realized we didn't have enough fuel to make it all the way and that threw me off for several laps while I tried to do math and drive at the same time laugh

I started right behind you JG, but I didn't see what happened to you in the first turn. I was taking it easy and just trying to squeeze through the carnage.

I did not squeeze through the carnage. Right about the time I was halfway through T1 thinking "wow this is surprisingly clean so far" someone popped over the curb inside T2 and started the party. Someone got into me trying to avoid trouble on their left and we both stayed on track but just about came to a full stop. 

JG Pasterjak
11/23/20 11:08 p.m.

A few highlights.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/23/20 11:33 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Ah, yep. I just went back and watched the replay. I was almost completely stopped behind that mess and then I just slipped through there with cars going every which way.

Cold tires were really sketchy, and then late in the race, hot greasy tires were also pretty sketchy. laugh

TXratti
TXratti Reader
11/23/20 11:49 p.m.

Well that was a helluva good time! Chaos at the start, oh my.

11/24/20 9:15 a.m.
TXratti said:

Chaos at the start, oh my.

SO MUCH MAYHEM

abenagh
abenagh GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/24/20 10:35 a.m.

In reply to TXratti :

I had a pretty good view of the chaos. Allowed me to pass 20 cars!  https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingTrustworthyCougarFreakinStinkin

JG Pasterjak
11/24/20 11:29 a.m.

Race is set up for tonight. 10pm eastern (don't panic if it isn't there right at 10. The races usually pop up on the server about a minute after clock time)

Grassroots Motorsports Suzuka

Skip Barber Formula 2000 on Suzuka GP layout.

Password: racegrm

Porsche eSports Supercup format. Practice > 3 lap single car qualifying > 15 minute heat race with top 8 inverted > 10 minute warmup > 30 minute feature race with no inverts.

Apologies in advance to folks who won't make it in. We had a good crowd last night and this format only allows 40 cars. If the demand stays high I guess we'll just have to do this more often.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/24/20 1:27 p.m.

So, who won last night? 

JG Pasterjak
11/24/20 2:26 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, who won last night? 

The real winner was all of us.

But mostly Austin Cobb.

james Kepford
james Kepford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/24/20 10:49 p.m.

That was lots of fun tonight, thanks for hosting it.  :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iHVkN2mj2xAS0aMHxnYIof1gPASjwCAtJ35K4ph9RCM3VpfRuQfEyhslkRCoVe9l