Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/22/16 2:02 p.m.

So with a busy life revolving around work, kids, sports, summer, ect I have not really driven my 79 RX-7 GS much over the years. Truth be told it's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned, but you wouldn't be able to tell by the dust collected on it, and the lack of miles on the odometer.

I drive the heck out of the Delica, and use the REPU in spurts. Usually in the spring, and fall as a noisy, smelly wheelbarrow. The RX-7 sits unused, and unloved it seems for way too long. Problem number one, is the fact that I have it tucked into a two car garage with two other cars essentailly making it a three car garage. To get the RX-7 out I have to push/pull it out of the corner on its harbor frieght wheel castors, jack it up, and get the castors out, and then pray the battery isn't dead(it usually is).

Well last night while hanging out with the family after my grandmothers 90th birthday party I had a little time to kill before going to play pick up hockey. I decided that I should get the old girl out from hibernation. I don't think I have driven the car in two months probably, maybe longer. I went through the ritual of getting the car out from under the car cover, and off the castors.

I pushed it out of the garage, and gave it a quick washing as before I put a new car cover on it a few months ago it had collected its fair share of diesel soot from its stablemate. Surprisingly the battery wasn't dead this time, and fired up after only a little coaxing. After settling into a nice low idle, and hockey gear loaded into the boot I was on my way to hockey. It is normally a 40-45 minute drive to the rink, but I didn't mind it as I was in my long lost love again. I hit some bumper to bumper traffic due to Cape Cod travellers leaving after the weekend. While in traffic I realized how much different this car is than almost every other car on the road today. There was a nice guy in a C4 Vette that allowed me to merge into the traffic ahead of him. Sports car buddies I guess. Even compared with that car this little thing seemed out of place, but closer.

The rest of the trip was just pure joy, as the wee little Wankel just buzzed along willingly pulling to red line on the highway on ramps, and through some twisties on a side road a mile or so from the rink. This car is not fast, but man does it feel, and sound fast. I just love how it just revs freely, and willingly. I even love the smell of oil , and the nasty exhaust fumes with a full header, and dual exhaust without cats. It sounds and smells of automotive adultery.

I had forgotten how much I missed driving this thing. I may even try to get it out again tonight as I have a meeting for youth hockey. Don't tell my Delica though as it had to sit outside last night after hockey as I didn't fell like going through the whole process again to put the RX-7 and Delica away. Of course it didn't help that I got an emergency call into work as I arrived home in the RX-7, and didn't get back until 4 AM today.

I guess what I'm getting at is I had thought of selling the car as I just don't use it enough, but that trip last night has me wanting to punch myself in the throat for even thinking of it. If you have a car that is sitting unused get out there and drive it. Life is too short. Sorry my sweet little SA I will try to be a better owner.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/22/16 2:07 p.m.

Right there with you. Falling back in love with my Mustang after it was in storage for years. My wife talked me out of selling it. The power is addictive and I forgot how fun the effort it takes to make it dice through cones makes it.

imgon
imgon Reader
8/22/16 2:18 p.m.

Glad you got the old girl out for a ride! Seems to me like you have to figure out a better parking scheme. Maybe park the SA at my house and I'll take it out for a ride frequently, heck I'll even drive by your house and give you a wave. For a nominal fee I'll arrange for you to have a "play-date" with it when ever you want:) It's good you remembered why you got that car before you decided to put a for sale sign on it. If you do have those thoughts again, keep this post handy. Now go out for another ride, its a beautiful day.

kb58
kb58 Dork
8/22/16 3:44 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Right there with you. Falling back in love with my Mustang after it was in storage for years. My wife talked me out of selling it. The power is addictive and I forgot how fun the effort it takes to make it dice through cones makes it.

All 240 hp, or a newer one?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/22/16 4:33 p.m.

I thought this was about that girl I fell in love with in high school and saw her at community college a lot then we drifted. We dated a bit but I was way more into her than she was into me. Oh well, she shows up in those flu-induced dreams once in a while.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/22/16 4:48 p.m.

Well this car does have a community college parking permit decal on the drivers window. Did you go to stonehill college in MA?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/22/16 5:25 p.m.

I fell back in love with the duster and elky lately. Forgot just how much I love the pro-touring cars. Especially when tailored to me and my ergonomic needs and driving style.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/16 6:17 p.m.

Chris,

You are a bad influence on me. You made me remember my two FBs. Now I want one so I go to CL and find this

rx7

I am resisting the urge to contact them but it is calling me.

Even the colors are exactly what I want. I am in trouble I think. Wonder if I can get it home before my wife gets back from vacation. Hummm

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
8/22/16 7:38 p.m.

Get a car cover and a nice battery tender. Keep doing what you're doing just do it at least 4 times a year. I think when you have a running car in your garage that you don't enjoy at least quarterly , then you don't love it as much as you think.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/22/16 8:23 p.m.

I have a car cover, and just recently replaced my battery tender. I do love the car as much as I think I do or maybe even more. The problem is life gets in the way a lot. Of course I don't have a commute to work, so driving it to work is out. I drive plenty, but getting the car out is really a chore.

Dean, do it. But buy it cheaper than the ad says. Seems too pricey to me.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
8/22/16 8:28 p.m.

I felt like this after a week of letting the wagon sit because it rained every day. Every spring when the old tractor sounding i6 comes back too life i smile.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/16 8:42 p.m.

Ya it I a bit pricey for what it is. As always it comes down to rust and if the motor can be brought back to life.

I really like both the interior and the exterior colors. Partially the interior.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/22/16 8:48 p.m.

So tonight I took the RX-7 to the youth hockey meeting I had. It was only a 15 - 20 minute drive, but felt good to get back in the car again.

After the meeting I decided to go down to the water front area of Plymouth MA. I was pretty sure my wife was bringing the boys down there for ice cream and Pokémon go. I parked down near the public boat launch, and called my wife. Turns out she was across the street getting ice cream. I left the car and started walking over to meet them. About 100 yards away I spy an FD RX-7 sitting in the same parking lot. I didn't see anyone near it, but decided I would go move my car to park next to it. As I pulled up I noticed a couple of young guys hanging out. They were super excited to see my RX-7 as they saw me pull in. We ended up talking for probably 45 minutes and my wife had to call me to ask where I was. The FD owner was really into my car and told me all about his. 93 touring that is only a 3 owner car with a fairly freshly rebuilt engine. He looked very young, but seemed like a true rotor head.

It was cool meeting another person with the fever. I guess this is what happens when I get out in my favorite car. I really need to do this more often.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/16 9:02 p.m.

Happens every fall. I bust out the 4Runner after letting it sit for 8 months. It's a turd, but it's a turd with character, and character goes a long way.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
8/23/16 6:33 a.m.

My 65 mustang does the same thing to me. I see it sitting in the garage and think about how if I sell it I could get a more well rounded car that would be fun but more usable in real life. But then I take it out and it gets me every time. Its not an especially fast car, or a very pretty car, but the power and speed it does have is just so freakin raw and unrefined. Even in fourth gear theres nothing smooth or subtle about the acceleration. With the 351 and dual flowmasters it also sounds like a proper caveman hotrod, and I love that. I know a lot of guys here aren't fans of that type of car, because the brakes are terrible and it handles curves like one of those old timey big wheeled bicycles, but hte noises it makes during a downshift will make you a believer.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/23/16 6:40 a.m.

Read this and was pursuaded to break out El Rabbito for a trip to work today. Fun little ride to buzz down the highway in. Makes me smile - need to do this more often.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/23/16 7:50 a.m.
kb58 wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: Right there with you. Falling back in love with my Mustang after it was in storage for years. My wife talked me out of selling it. The power is addictive and I forgot how fun the effort it takes to make it dice through cones makes it.
All 240 hp, or a newer one?

All 305 + whatever the exhaust adds (supposedly 15 at least, but you know the salt to take that with)

Hey, its more than my Miata

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/23/16 12:09 p.m.

The other funny thing about this car is most car people probably wouldn't give it a second look. It seems to just blend in most times I have it out. Only I'm not sure why. It is stock in appearance aside from the wheels, and is yellow. Maybe not a sexy car, but people that know cars must realize there aren't many of these things around these parts. It's a special car in my opinion and every drive reminds me more of that opinion. I'm glad I didn't sell it a couple of years ago when I tried.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/26/16 8:57 a.m.

I vow to get the RX-7 out again this weekend! I don't care if it is only taking it to hockey practice on Saturday, and Sunday mornings. Maybe I'll put enough miles on it to actually have to change the oil this year. By the way I do change the oil even when I don't drive it.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/26/16 9:34 a.m.

Planning to break out the Rabbit for Cars N Coffee therapy Sat morning in Cincy...

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/26/16 10:05 a.m.

I haven't even started my Mini since May of last year. I need to change that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9DGsrJxqoYbonTUBHclcHB2IxF4M4gLSPKxP1DXnb3pbwdWz8Flr4fcsb406KPNk