1 2
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
12/14/13 5:18 p.m.

This March, I will turn 40. My wife will turn 40 in October the same year.

We both decided to go big- we will set our tax return aside and divide it for appropriate purchases.

My original plan was to buy a used MG transmission (which I did) and take it to a University Motors technical seminar and learn how to rebuild it. Come to find out that will likely be a $1000 endeavor- no thanks, I'll buy a book and figure it out.

So the question remains: what in the world do I buy for the big 4-0? I'd really like to buy Pete Gosset's Europa, but funds won't likely allow that. I have never raced, and desperately want to do so. Any ideas to get me on a track in a car?

Bri

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/14/13 5:20 p.m.

Throw something on a local auto-x board, tell em what's up- I bet you get rides lined up....

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/13 5:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Throw something on a local auto-x board, tell em what's up- I bet you get rides lined up....

Yep, this... Or race your own car. Whatever it may be!

paranoid_android74
12/14/13 5:31 p.m.

I'd love to race my little Midget- but time and money may keep me from getting it done before net summer.

I looked into a driving course a la Skip Barber, but March is too icy for track driving.

The local auto-x board is a great idea! I'll check into it...

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
12/14/13 5:34 p.m.

If you've never sat in a full on race car, there's plenty of places that you can drive one. Entry level prices usually start around $400 to $500. I won't ever forget the first time I drove a stock car at Charlotte under the lights. Pretty awesome. All kinds of race schools or driving schools out there to pick from.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/14/13 6:03 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: I'd really like to buy Pete Gosset's Europa, but funds won't likely allow that.

I'm open to trades/partial trades. Could really use a car for my 16-year old step-daughter(automatic only). Music gear? Weird stuff?

I'm sure that someday - eventually - I have time/money to work on it, but I don't see a reason to let it languish in the garage until then.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/14/13 6:05 p.m.

Rent a TaG or shifter kart for a day!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/14/13 6:11 p.m.

Do you already know what you are doing behind the wheel on track?

If so, and you have a friend with an appropriate vehicle who trusts you behind the wheel, offer to pay all expenses for the weekend and some wear and tear, and see if you can get them to let you drive their car in alternating sessions.

That's what I let a friend of mine do last month that wanted to drive. Paid my entry fees and for the covered spot, I took care of fuel and transponder.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/14/13 6:15 p.m.

Buy into a chump/lemons team? That's the cheapest way to steer right and left with other cars.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/13 6:44 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: I'd love to race my little Midget- but time and money may keep me from getting it done before net summer. *snip* The local auto-x board is a great idea! I'll check into it...

Autocross your daily driver... Unless it is an SUV or something else with a high COG...

Chipperb
Chipperb New Reader
12/14/13 7:08 p.m.

Comp go kart

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
12/14/13 8:35 p.m.

When I turned 40 I built a D/SR MGB and really enjoyed it. Put 10K on it in 10 yrs., won my share of trophies and sold it for a fair price. Well worth the realization that the big 4-0 gave me. It sounds like the same realization is on you big time. What ever you decide, enjoy it to the fullest.

paranoid_android74
12/15/13 7:32 a.m.

I sold off much of my other "fun stuff" to buy MG parts. So the guitars and surplus firearms are gone.

And I don't have a surplus DD.

Maybe I can scrape the money together, I don't know. It will be tax time before I know for sure.

petegossett wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: I'd really like to buy Pete Gosset's Europa, but funds won't likely allow that.
I'm open to trades/partial trades. Could really use a car for my 16-year old step-daughter(automatic only). Music gear? Weird stuff? I'm sure that someday - eventually - I have time/money to work on it, but I don't see a reason to let it languish in the garage until then.
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/15/13 8:25 a.m.

paranoid_android74
12/15/13 9:06 a.m.

It's a Chrysler Pacifica- yawn!

A racing kart might just do it though...

noddaz wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: I'd love to race my little Midget- but time and money may keep me from getting it done before net summer. *snip* The local auto-x board is a great idea! I'll check into it...
Autocross your daily driver... Unless it is an SUV or something else with a high COG...
chrispy
chrispy Reader
12/16/13 7:32 a.m.

My 40th is in January and my wife was hoping to send me (us) to a Skip Barber school but she lost her job last year and there's no way we can afford it now. I'm thinking a day of karting is a good alternative or we may head to Atlanta for the 2014 Mitty.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
12/16/13 7:55 a.m.

Rally school.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
12/16/13 7:56 a.m.

Midlife crisis cars:

Classic- Alfa Spider
Modern version of that- Miata
Classic+status: Porsche 911, generally
Over the top: Ferrari.

Oh, and I'd force your SD to drive a manual. She's 16- learning can happen.

The reality is- what car do you like that you can afford? Go racing with it. People bring anything and everything to autocross and to the track. So that you keep doing it, it's important to get a car that you like. It's your car, afterall.

One other suggestion- you might find classes over at Washtenaw Com Col cheaper- I built a couple of motors in a restoration class there. One was for the GRM challenge a long time ago.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
12/16/13 8:07 a.m.

Good suggestions here. Get some autox under your belt now if you can...I know some groups run all winter. Racing schools are always a safe bet. For my 30th (this was 11+ years ago), my wife got my a gift certificate to a driving school. I wound up swapping it out for HPDE days, but still a great idea.

I spent my big 4-0 b-day at the race track in my first ever LeMons race. Just by fate, my actual b-day was on a Saturday, so I celebrated at the track. My family came for the day to watch, so I couldn't have thought of a better place to be. If you can manage to get into LeMons for your b-day, do it!!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/13 8:16 a.m.

40 didn't bother me, 41 did. You know, like 37, 38, 39, 30-10...the end of your 30's. Once you hit 41 however, you were officially considered old.

Then I realized that you 40's are much better than your 30's if you do it right and then I was OK. So how to get on track?

The advice that I got (and I think it was spot on) was this: begin as you mean to go on. If you want cheap, fun, and tons of potential, get a Civic. You can autocross, do track days, and then move into Honda Challenge. And old ITA car is a great start.

If you want to move into something more serious down the road, you should start with RWD. That means E30 or Miata. Both have spec series, both offer great bargains at the lower end, and both can keep up with you for a long time.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/13 8:51 a.m.

40 is nothing. (been there done that) 50 however is a mortality check. At 40 you probably have not lived half your life yet. 50 however the odds that you are half way there is much more of a reality.

Forgo spending on material things like a transmission. Pool your money and make some memories. Take a trip travel to that place you both have always wanted to go to. You can stair at a transmission on the floor until you are 50. A couple weeks on a beach under palm trees of skiing the alps or go to the far east or Australia or ?? These all make memories!!! A transmission not so much.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/13 8:54 a.m.

Ohya I am never going to have a "mid life crisis" This means I am accepting that I am half way there. I will never grow up!!! I am the crazy uncle that the family talks about at parties. And I like it that way.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/16/13 9:41 a.m.

50 isn't the end of the world but it can be a wake up call for many. Get the heavier physical items like jumping outta perfectly good airplanes, racing, MC RR school, bungee jumping, big hunting trips etc. off your list when you're younger JIC.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
12/16/13 10:16 a.m.

40 was so long ago that I forget what I did. I do know that the 40-50 was the best time of my life.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
12/16/13 10:21 a.m.

I started building my Spec Miata the year I turned 40 - if I remember correctly...

I didn't do it because it was the big 4 0. I did b/c the timing was right.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sF8bXWIeSHBeJawoMML0BZZi86wJk88b7JQngMJiou75U9fGUo48wsIqGwnicLPG