1 2
ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/08 6:28 a.m.

Make sure you order a Flyin' Miata catalogue. Highlight a range of items, and leave it conspicuously around the house. You'll thank me at Christmas.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/14/08 6:37 a.m.

I have extra centercaps for those right side wheels if you want them. PM me with an address to send them to and they're yours.

As for seating, there are several alternatives. The foamectomy is one solution, and installing a track only seat is another. When my white car (now a SSM) was seeing dual duty, I found it quite handy to use an aluminum seat bolted to the floor to gain headroom. Swap time between the two was under 30 minutes. I also addressed the resulting "knees in the steering wheel" issue with a 320 mm D-cut wheel and a spacer to move it back towards me.

If track use is the goal for the car, you are probably going to need to invest in a roll bar. Check with your sanctioning body's requirements, and then go to Hard Dog / Bethania Garage and buy one of their well engineered pieces.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
8/14/08 9:21 a.m.

How bad is the window regulator? Is it bound up or just inoperative? If the latter, it may be a simple matter of cleaning the contacts on the up/down switch. Pretty common.

http://www.miata.net/garage/CleaningSwitch.html

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
8/14/08 1:32 p.m.
kcbhiw wrote: How bad is the window regulator? Is it bound up or just inoperative?

It's a manual window, and it's been disassembled by the PO and rendered nonfunctional. I haven't had time to fuss with it.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/14/08 2:02 p.m.

I'm late to the party, but:

1. I have a factory manual. Trussville is good, or you can also get them from MazdaSouth in Austin. I think the website is mazdastuff.com

2. HP+ brake pads are a bit much for a street-driven car unless it's going to see actual track day use. I'd go with the HPS for street/autocross use. (Note: I currently run the HP+ on my street/track car.)

3. I'd be willing to bet the window just wasn't put back together properly. I'd look at it very carefully before I spent money on it. That said, I'd get a new part rather than used. That job is a big enough pain that I'd only want to do it once, and you're not going to save that much (depending on how you value your time).

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
8/14/08 4:06 p.m.

Mmm so i'm baffled with the electrical issues now. I've got a new battery and the alternator just bench tested "good". On a full charge the car will run for about 30-40 miles before the battery light comes on and things start to go dim.

Could the alt still be bad and it just takes a while to heat up or something?

parker
parker New Reader
8/14/08 6:57 p.m.

el cheapo Walmart voltmeter plugged into cigarette lighter will tell you instantly if it's charging.

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
8/15/08 12:24 p.m.

Got a second opinion on the alternator and it seems to be bad, low amp output when tested on the car. Installing new one tonight. Hope for more top down fun tomorrow.

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
9/14/08 7:31 p.m.

Miata update!

I managed to fix the alternator issue for good this time. It turns out the normal looking alternator belt was severely worn, and slipping without making any noise. I was shocked at the difference in dimensions between the old belt and the new one.

The air conditioning now works as well, i replaced the relay that was preventing it from turning on. 18 year old R12 in there still works. Nobody is happier than my wife.

Took it to the autocross for the first time. I did pretty badly, but considering my experience is all FWD I feel that there are some things I need to learn yet.

I also made a swell hardtop rack out of a 2x4 and some hooks i found at home depot:

Cheers!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
9/14/08 8:21 p.m.

Good score and you have some Subie goodness in the driveway too. Some people have all the luck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l5b8gA2GvOeWH62sg8xYC78n9DdlxkR2yu78CfOEQDWGb19Ox3wDoOBKVVbKnjyQ