1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/25/11 1:58 p.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/25/rumormill-kia-planning-mazda-mx-5-fighter-all-wheel-drive-soul/

That's right folks, KIA is making the next Miata competitor. Honda and the S2000 couldn't do it, and neither could the General with the Solstice/Sky. Could this actually knock the Miata off the top? Thoughts?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/25/11 2:02 p.m.

I'm in. Where do I sign?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/25/11 2:02 p.m.

It looks like the Daewoo variant of the Solstice/Sky.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/25/11 2:05 p.m.

How much does it weigh, what engine, what tranny options, how much will it cost?

Biggest issue I see with trying to make a Miata competitor is the aftermarket. The Miata has a ton of stuff out there, and race series to utilize it.

But, make it cheap enough, and I don't think any of that will matter. IMO Mazda has priced the Miata a little too high. Other than the basest of base models, a new Miata off the lot will run you $26k. If Kia drops a 5-speed car with an LSD for $20k, I don't think they'll be able to keep them on the lots.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
3/25/11 2:05 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: It looks like the Daewoo variant of the Solstice/Sky.

QFT. But if Kia does it right, they have a chance. They can make it cheap enough, they've got Hyundai to crib for the drivetrain, and it isn't ugly.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/25/11 2:06 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I don't think they'll be able to keep them on the lots.

Unless they make them that ugly. That car looks horrible. Yuck.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/25/11 2:06 p.m.

Honestly, i'm not digging the looks. But then again, i don't like the new MX-5, either.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/25/11 2:08 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: I don't think they'll be able to keep them on the lots.

Unless they make them that ugly. That car looks horrible. Yuck.

At $20k, looks won't be that important. I mean, look at the Genesis Coupe.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/25/11 2:09 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: I don't think they'll be able to keep them on the lots.

Unless they make them that ugly. That car looks horrible. Yuck.

At $20k, looks won't be that important. I mean, look at the Genesis Coupe.

ZING!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/25/11 2:09 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

???? The Genesis coupe isn't great looking but it isn't bad either IMHO.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
3/25/11 2:10 p.m.

Did I see AWD? Weird man.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/25/11 2:10 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Did I see AWD? Weird man.

That was for the Soul.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/25/11 2:15 p.m.

Doesn't even confirm that it is rear wheel drive at this point.

Kia and Hyundai still continue to impress.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/25/11 2:15 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to ReverendDexter: ???? The Genesis coupe isn't great looking but it isn't bad either IMHO.

Looks are subjective, but in my not-so-humble opinion, all the parts about the GC that look good are the parts that can be attributed to the fact it's a 2+2 Coupe and nothing that's specific to how Hyundai made it distinctive from all the other 2+2 Coupes.

You also have to look just with your eyes, not with your knowledge of what the car is. Picture it as a FWD with a slushbox and a mediocre single-cam 1.6L. You can't tell me that it's a prettier car than a Mustang, Z, Altima Coupe, Accord Coupe, Challenger, 3-series, or FT86 concept.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/25/11 2:18 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

Yes but just average beats ugly as hell. I think most people who buy cars like that do so for the looks and the fact it is a convertible.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
3/25/11 2:20 p.m.

cheap will be key.

also, small.

small and cheap. you hear me KIA?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/25/11 2:22 p.m.
  1. Real headlights.
  2. RWD
  3. 2200#
  4. $20k
  5. WINNING!
dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/25/11 2:35 p.m.

To people commenting on the looks: that was a completely made up rendering, that's not something from Kia. From the fine article: "UK-based magazine Auto Express has put together a rendering of such a vehicle," meaning they made it up whole cloth using their interpretation of existing Kia design language.

Raze
Raze Dork
3/25/11 2:44 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: How much does it weigh, what engine, what tranny options, how much will it cost? Biggest issue I see with trying to make a Miata competitor is the aftermarket. The Miata has a ton of stuff out there, and race series to utilize it. But, make it cheap enough, and I don't think any of that will matter. IMO Mazda has priced the Miata a little too high. Other than the basest of base models, a new Miata off the lot will run you $26k. If Kia drops a 5-speed car with an LSD for $20k, I don't think they'll be able to keep them on the lots.

Not true at all, buddy of mine got a brand new 2010 model in January with a lot of trimmings for $20k out the door, just have to buy in winter months...

Raze
Raze Dork
3/25/11 2:45 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: 1. Real headlights. 2. RWD w/LSD option from factory 3. 2000# 4. $18k 5. WINNING!

There I fixed it

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
3/25/11 2:49 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: 1. Real headlights. 2. RWD 3. 2200# 4. $20k 5. WINNING!

agree...

Except for #5 Charlie sheen =

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/25/11 2:53 p.m.
Raze wrote: Not true at all, buddy of mine got a brand new 2010 model in January with a lot of trimmings for $20k out the door, just have to buy in winter months...

Yeah, I'm just looking at MSRP on Mazda's site.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
3/25/11 2:59 p.m.

I am in the same situation I was back in 1988 or so when the Lotus Elan was due to be released; I really wanted a sports car and the Elan came out as a FWD. This configuration meant that it was not a sports car and off the list it came. Then along came the Miata and I had to have one. Bought a 1990 and drove the wheels off the thing for 13 years.

I have been wanting a new Miata ever since. However, for some years now, some influential designer at Mazda had been sitting on the ugly button. I have pretty much given up on any loyalty that I have to the brand and am just praying that someone comes out with a fun RWD sports-car in the next two years.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/25/11 3:03 p.m.

Fix the headlights and the grill and you have a decent, if not good looking car right there.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/25/11 3:04 p.m.

Oh, and for the love of (insert deity), please do NOT put those huge wheels on it. That car needs nothing larger than 15'' wheels standard.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
dQHwPynYjtgjr7hB8Hm3kMVevDnWpITh