1 2 3 4 5 6
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/29/14 6:33 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Ok, I've been talked out of the A4. Currently leader: 09 with 33k miles Not my favorite color, but I'm kinda running out of room to be picky.

Price? Also, have you DRIVEN one? I whole-heartedly support the idea, but damn, dude. Don't listen to a bunch of drunk berkeley-sticks with a computer (me.)

And as my grandpa used to say: "Never get in a big hurry to spend a whole buncha money."

Take your time, man. You seem really pressured/stressed about this whole thing; which is probably how you ended up in a POS BMW (JOKES.)

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/14 6:47 p.m.

I drove a CTS-V this morning. It was '10 with 28k, so pretty close. No discount on the red one makes it more than I care to spend. The similar black one (with a healthy discount) was sold before I could call to have it shipped.

Now hunting GXPs.

Any off the wall ideas? Let's say "fun to drive" not necessarily comparable to the M5. Still needs to haul a wife and kid.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/29/14 6:58 p.m.

Off the wall? Legacy GT.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/29/14 7:24 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Off the wall? Legacy GT.

There was a thread about that here not too long ago. Big ball of nope regarding the EJ255 engine, made me reconsider the EJ255-into-1st gen Forester thing. Apparently there is a screen on the turbo's oil inlet that plugs, which kills the turbo, which sends junk into the engine that can never be cleaned out short of a rebuild, which kills the engine, which sends junk to the turbo, which kills the turbo... seesaw effect usually stops there because the car gets scrapped.

I've certainly seen enough Legacies for sale on their second/third turbo to believe it.

BradLTL
12/29/14 7:26 p.m.

And no sooner do I get the autotrader results up and rain starts falling on the parade.

BradLTL
12/29/14 7:56 p.m.

The wife actually is fine with the Legacy (I'm intrigued as well).... But apparently there is a hellish cycle of turbo and engine replacements.

Although I am still looking at them.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/29/14 8:16 p.m.

Panamera? Or are those too pricey still?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/14 9:46 p.m.

Keep on the 2nd gen CTS-V. You can't compare the 1st gen and 2nd gen CTS-V's for those that are doing so. Drive one and then the other, they are totally different cars.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/29/14 10:13 p.m.

Get an '05 GTO and let your wife get whatever she wants.

BradLTL
12/29/14 10:24 p.m.

Wife is sorted. I just need a wife-approved Dadmobile.

GCooper
GCooper Reader
12/29/14 10:33 p.m.

Taurus SHO? IS-F as mentioned earlier? What about a Chrysler 300 SRT8, or a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/29/14 10:35 p.m.

Dude, ask her if you can borrow your balls for a little while

(Ducks and covers realizing I'm only on year two of a five year car buying ban from SWMBO )

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/14 11:13 p.m.

Lmao

slow
slow Reader
12/29/14 11:52 p.m.

How we can make this thread so entertaining is beyond me.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/30/14 6:46 a.m.

So now just you? A new GTI. We love ours, and APR is already selling a chip that pops them up over 300hp/350ft-lb. Warranty and everything.

BradLTL
12/30/14 6:57 a.m.

I had to rule out any C63 awesomeness, I'm 6'3" and once the front seat is adjusted where I can drive, the back seat becomes a shelf.

I suspect the IS-F is going to be the same, but I'll go look at one to confirm.

BradLTL
12/30/14 7:00 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Dude, ask her if you can borrow your balls for a little while (Ducks and covers realizing I'm only on year two of a five year car buying ban from SWMBO )

I had to give those up as part of the pre-nup.

In reality she isn't being terribly unreasonable. She is allowing me spending 35k on whatever car makes me happy is reliable. It's my standard that are the issue.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
12/30/14 7:34 a.m.

Dude. This is GRM. For $35k, you get a Miata, a C5, a P71, an MR2, an e30, a kart, a few motorcycles, something vintage, and a $10k penalty box that your wife can deal with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
12/30/14 7:38 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Dude, ask her if you can borrow your balls for a little while (Ducks and covers realizing I'm only on year two of a five year car buying ban from SWMBO )

Well, it's understandable that you're frustrated seeing someone who MIGHT be able to borrow theirs when yours are so far out of your reach

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
12/30/14 8:20 a.m.

Does your family member have the ability to search the wholesale inventory? There are some very interesting items on the no-sell list...I don't work there anymore, but when I did I saw some truly bizarre things come in. The ones I remember most vividly were a Ferrari 308 and a Laforza Prima. I had to Google to even figure out what the latter was at the time.

BradLTL
12/30/14 8:58 a.m.

I'm about to go drive this...

The biggest concern is if the backseat is actually going to be usable with me in the front.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/30/14 9:19 a.m.

Have you checked out the Taurus SHO with the Ecoboost? I have one. It does family duty very, very well. You can get a tuner from Livernois Motorsports to push up the hp a bit. It's a fun ride and much more reliable than my 07 335i I traded for it.

btw - Did Carmax agree to replace your M5 because of all the repairs? I've never heard of that happening.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/30/14 2:26 p.m.

Xceler8x stole my thunder. I think the SHO would be good to check out. Looks total sleeperish. A black one would be totally qship cop style.

carbon
carbon Dork
12/30/14 5:37 p.m.

Mmmmmm pearly is-f. The Carbon approves!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/30/14 6:02 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
irish44j wrote: Off the wall? Legacy GT.
There was a thread about that here not too long ago. Big ball of nope regarding the EJ255 engine, made me reconsider the EJ255-into-1st gen Forester thing. Apparently there is a screen on the turbo's oil inlet that plugs, which kills the turbo, which sends junk into the engine that can never be cleaned out short of a rebuild, which kills the engine, which sends junk to the turbo, which kills the turbo... seesaw effect usually stops there because the car gets scrapped. I've certainly seen enough Legacies for sale on their second/third turbo to believe it.

the usual solution is simply to remove the screen, lol...

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iumwN3WHGWolwoTv2K6hyJfYRdW0SJqVbXwp5aLtTqwfWiJmssSs9lyOkwZT0ZBC