1 2
02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
1/18/09 4:31 p.m.

We sealed the deal on our BABE car this afternoon. A 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R, 120k miles, burgundy over grey, $500. Needs tires, brakes, battery, and was non-running until we did a little emergency aftermarket alarm removal surgery, but is surprisingly rust free. Been sitting for 3+ years, with all the fun that that entails; it is the first car I've ever seen with moss growing on the gas cap.

I'll get some pics when we retrieve it on Tuesday.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/09 4:35 p.m.
02Pilot wrote: We sealed the deal on our BABE .... . . . moss growing on the gas cap. I'll get some pics when we retrieve it on Tuesday.

Of the moss on the gas cap I hope

You could become Team Mossy Caps... . . Or Team Fungus AKA the Fun Guy Team.. . My logic train just wrecked. I will stop now.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/18/09 6:19 p.m.

I have a almost brand new 1992 factory service manual I will sell for $60 if you need it.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
1/18/09 7:57 p.m.

congrats

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
1/18/09 8:16 p.m.

welcome to the club! ... I'm sure it smells wonderful!

Sonic
Sonic New Reader
1/18/09 8:44 p.m.

Excellent! I'll keep an eye out for your team, always good to have some GRMers to combat all the Car Lounge people

You'll have an awesome time

Chris - BABE09 Team 15 - Team Awesome

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/18/09 10:54 p.m.

I will be there along side you guys this year.

Scuderia Limonata 1992 Ford Mustang Ultraleggera Spyder.

Can't wait!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/19/09 12:20 a.m.
02Pilot wrote: A 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R, 120k miles,

That one will be a goody to storm the Dragon with.

I always had a soft spot for the OG SE-R.

No way of telling if 5th gear works on it???

Josh
Josh Reader
1/19/09 1:18 a.m.

Your new sponsors!

I used to buy all my OEM parts through these guys when I had my SE-R :).

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
1/19/09 7:46 a.m.

Not to worry, I will get photos of the gas cap. Sadly, the rest of the car is considerably less mossy, thus probably making it a less than ideal candidate for the suggested sponsorship. We do have a local parts shop that will suppl us with everything we need at cost, plus (far more importantly) all the stickers we want. We may even bring spares for those who require emergency bodywork.

No telling on 5th yet. The highest I got it was 3rd. For a car that's been sitting as long as it has, it ran better than we expected. The starter is a bit wonky, but that may work itself out, only to fail amusingly on the Rally, of course. The suspension creaks like trees bending in the wind, and the brakes sound like some sort of low-speed industrial abrasive grinding mechanism. And the driver's seat has been replaced, with the new piece attached with a motley collection of hardware in a position that seems to have been tailored to a hunchbacked midget approximately 4' tall.

Travis, I'll touch base with on the service manual. I'm sure it would be very helpful.

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
1/20/09 6:06 p.m.

Got the car home this afternoon. No problems so far, which I'm quite certain presages some sort of horrid doom occurring at a very inconvenient time to be named later. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
1/20/09 6:31 p.m.

Congrats on the Classic SE-R! Every B13 SE-R in my state is either rusted away, overpriced, or both. Any plans for after the BABE rally? The SR20DE is a sweet motor!

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
1/20/09 9:46 p.m.

We're leaving our options open for post-BABE. The car is surprisingly rust-free and seems to be in pretty good shape overall, so we're not going to do any permanent defiling for the rally - just some stickers and such, I imagine. It may turn into an autox/TSD car, or we may just give it a good going over and sell it (presumably at a tidy profit, given what we're into it for), putting the money into our other respective projects.

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
1/23/09 2:47 p.m.

At long last, the promised photos:

Yep, that's a Recaro driver's seat. Looks to be out of some VAG product. It doesn't really fit very well - I spent most of yesterday fabricating brackets and such, as the previous mounting arrangement consisted of some galvanized strap, a U-bolt, and a block of wood. The seat belt receptacle was secured (and I use the term loosely) by a piece of sheathed steel cable with about 18"of slack in it.

The rear brakes weren't working at all until I abused them with a hammer and flushed the system. It's got a nice exhaust leak, the fog lights don't work, nor does the washer pump. The radio did work, sort of (playing through the right side door speaker only), at least until I disconnected the wire that was powering the amp stuffed under the seat and alternately shorting against the seat, the amp, other wires, and anything else it happened into due to the incredibly crappy tape job. To top it off, the alternator has an intermittent death rattle.

We have resolved to repair as little of this as possible, of course, while remaining within the (rather ill-defined) bounds of sanity.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/23/09 2:55 p.m.

a great find. dare I say too nice an example to sacrifice at BABE?

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
1/23/09 3:51 p.m.

Other than the alternator, it sounds like it should survive the rally pretty well. The rest of what wrong with it seems easy enough to knock out in a weekend or two, so you should be able to flip it for a profit. Great car.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
1/23/09 4:10 p.m.

The seat is outta a MK2 jetta gli or gti 16v.

cghstang
cghstang New Reader
1/23/09 6:33 p.m.

That looks much nicer than my '91 daily beater SE-R.

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
1/23/09 6:48 p.m.

It is remarkably rust-free and pretty straight. Even the doors hang straight and the hinges are clean. No 5th gear pop-out so far, but that's been in very minimal testing. It is quite entertaining to drive in my experience so far. My co-driver is going to be using it for the next few weeks, so the alternator may crap out and force us to replace it, but other than having to get the car through state inspection it's going to stay as-is unless it actually breaks something important.

But we bought it for the BABE, and the BABE it will run. What happens to it afterwards remains an open question, after we remove the detritus of the rally.

grinch77
grinch77 New Reader
1/24/09 8:47 a.m.

http://www.gspec.com/

all you'll ever need for parts.Greg is one of the coolest vendors I've ever delt with.

bigtoed
bigtoed New Reader
1/27/09 11:26 p.m.

Hey, where is the pic of the mossey gas cap? My wife still gives me a hard time for buying a car with a tree growing in it.(It really was more of a shrub) I would post a pic, but I have to get it from vehicle abaitment, they have some of the best pics of my place.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/28/09 5:40 a.m.

for $500 and 35mpg......I'd trade my Aurora for that..

RossD
RossD New Reader
1/28/09 3:24 p.m.

Thoses seat look exactly like the ones in my old '91 Jetta GLI. I drove and slept in that car in a 1 1/2 day drive from Green Bay to Pensacola with an unfortunate drive through New Orleans. (Read: Missed turning east on I-12 from I-55 and missed the one spot to turn around before reaching the isthmus and the ensueing drive throu N. O.) We spent 6 hours on the beach the second day and return home. Now thats a cheap spring break.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/28/09 3:43 p.m.

holy tangent

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/28/09 4:02 p.m.

I thought BABE was $250?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XgjemoOwL13vEpEQRqcJLGX3ajrzPkAdzjctZY9T3JDSUOg4jU38KyLcx6DCuCnh