1 2
Jeff
Jeff Dork
9/12/10 1:46 p.m.

I need an appliance. Requirements; can be found under $2500, seats four adults comfortably, can sit for up to a month and still start , is not a theft target, and on occasion you wouldn't be terrified/horrified to take it on a 1000 mile road trip. My preference is for a stick, but for this I really don't care. Newer is better. Any cheap 00-05 cars fit the bill?

Back story. I need something that can sit in a covered parking garage for a month or so at a time and then be ready for use when I fly in. Can't tell any more than that right now .

Thanks,

J

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/12/10 1:52 p.m.

Saturn SL2. Uber reliable, five speeds available and even (dare I say it) relatively common; 35 mpg driving it like you stole it, comfortable, and even moderately sporting. No one will steal it. They stopped making them in '02. You do NOT want the Ion they replaced it with.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
9/12/10 2:36 p.m.

Good call on the Saturn. The plastic body panels will also keep the door dings to a minimum while it sits for extended periods in a parking garage.
Similar appliances may also be an option like a Sentra.
If you need more space a dull Buick Century by way of a senior citizen that no longer drives can present a good bargain as well.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
9/12/10 2:40 p.m.

Volvo 740 Turbo (wagon)?

Cheap, reliable, and low profile.

Ah, didn't read the newer part. I still vote 740.

failboat
failboat New Reader
9/12/10 2:51 p.m.

crown vic/grand marquis?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/12/10 3:08 p.m.

Ford focus might be in that price range. Otherwise, mid-90's accord/camry.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
9/12/10 3:26 p.m.

Three Neons? One is sure to start....

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
9/12/10 3:57 p.m.

My immediate go-to based on that description would be an early '90s Camry or Corolla. The Camry is probably more comfortable for the the adults in the back, but the Corolla will get slightly better mileage, and I trust the A block more than a non-turbo S block (though the V6 in that vintage Camry is a pretty decent motor, once you get past the fact you have to pull the intake manifold to do the plugs in the rear bank). You could even splurge and find a Lexus ES250, which is just that V6 Camry with a nicer interior.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
9/12/10 4:21 p.m.

You can pick up a '00ish S70 for that. FWD Malibu/Impala, naturally aspirated Grand Prix... if you want to go a little bit older and really are focusing on the "road trip" portion, I can't speak highly enough of how much fun an LT1 Roadmaster or Caprice wagon is to drive.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
9/12/10 4:33 p.m.

When shopping under $2500 I find it hard to go looking for a certain model. Sure you might find a Camry but it will likely be used hard at that price. You could be better off with something newer and less used but less likely know. If it were me I would open up Craigslist and start searching by price. Look at everything that fits your requirements in that price range. You may be thinking Camry/Accord but find that something like a '99 Nissan Altima (the small ones before they got big) is a better choice.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
9/12/10 5:04 p.m.

2000-2005 @ $2500 and in reasonably good shape might be difficult. I think it rules out the more popular choices like Corolla and Civic. Have you tried a brand like Mitsubishi, Suzuki or Kia/Hyundai? I haven't looked, it's just a guess.

I think the previous poster has a good suggestion, go on CL and shop by price.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
9/12/10 5:53 p.m.

Chevy Prizm. It's a Corolla with a different name, and hence, it is worth considerably less than the same Corolla, as people who want a Toyota and don't know any better won't consider it.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
9/12/10 6:42 p.m.

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable, bonus if it's a wagon. Slap an AARP sticker on it and it will be invisible.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/10 7:21 p.m.

This is the one question that still certifies as "P71" for the answer. It does all of the above for that price (or less) and has the added bonus of world's cheapest insurance and really parts costs if stuff breaks. Plus nobody is crazy enough to steal it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/12/10 7:25 p.m.

I would not try to fit any adults in the back of a saturn SL...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/12/10 7:51 p.m.
Javelin wrote: This is the *one* question that still certifies as "P71" for the answer. It does all of the above for that price (or less) and has the added bonus of world's cheapest insurance and really parts costs if stuff breaks. Plus nobody is crazy enough to steal it.

I'll say just the civilian Crown Vic works fine for this application. Grand Marquis for more comfy.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
9/12/10 9:08 p.m.

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. I like the Saturn and Prism ideas the best. The Vic becomes more expensive to park as it won't fit in a 15ft enclosed parking space.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/12/10 9:27 p.m.

90's Camry. 4 adult humans in a Corolla (Prism) is pushing it, but not impossible. We had 4 medical students carpooling 30 miles each way in a Ford Festiva one week a month for 2 years, so nothing is impossible, but I wouldn't exactly recommend it. The Camry is a whole lot more comfortable, and I've seen 1997's in your price range.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
9/12/10 10:04 p.m.

Crown Vic or low-optioned Grand Marquis. GM W body. Ford Taurus if the transmission is solid, but most in the $2500 range are somewhat dubious.

My old man has an Oldsmobile Intrigue. Parts are damn near free, its got a rock solid 3800 engine, a great trans, and is basically invisible. Its as bland as white bread dipped in water, but its a great car for getting around.

Edit: And he got it for $2200 with 80k Grandpa Fresh miles on it.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/12/10 10:31 p.m.

Sadly, 00 Civic 4-doors are still out of that price range (well, the vaguely decent ones, that is). You might be able to grab a decent '96-98 on a fluke.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/12/10 11:11 p.m.

Aren't Camrys theft bait?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/12/10 11:36 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Aren't Camrys theft bait?

There are a lot of Camry's stolen because there are a lot of Camry's out there. They aren't theft bait like an Integra ITR.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
9/12/10 11:37 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I would not try to fit any adults in the back of a saturn SL...

I am 6'2" and I fit in the back seat of our 99 SL2 just fine. Not for multiple hour trips, but for 20 minutes, no problem.

I will second the Saturn and Crown Vic recommendations. I have owned both, and they both worked flawlessly!

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/12/10 11:39 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I would not try to fit any adults in the back of a saturn SL...

Depends on the adult. I'm 6'1", fit relatively comfortably. I wouldn't want to drive cross-country in the back, but it's pretty good for a compact.

Now an SC, on the other hand, is basically torture if you're over 5'4".

RidgeRunner
RidgeRunner Dork
9/13/10 12:44 a.m.

Echoing the suggestion of the Saturn.

My SL1 is worth about that now ('02, 148k miles) and I wouldn't hesitate to repeat last summer's road trip from Georgia to Alaska and back. I can't say I've let it sit for a month to see how it does then, but I don't see it being a problem.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Dv1Uc6y2h34nvH0gFQ79J3AxW0avOGnTz8teMrBhHzew7jKVmoma9uyPbIezrsy