1 2 3

This guy seems to think so. I have been impressed with what he has been able to do with it. 

Matt's Off Road Recovery

Located in Utah, he spends his time digging tourists out of mud and sand. 

Getting this out with a XJ? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/25/20 11:44 p.m.

That's a cool XJ.

Really though, this is simply physics... nothing special about the XJ in that scenario.  Anything with lockers & traction could do that.  In many cases a heavier vehicle would be better at recovery (especially if they are going to do running starts like that - painful to watch though).

This one looked sketchy as hell:

In reply to ProDarwin :

One of his videos explains his reasoning behind the XJ. 

He can build and field a XJ for $5000. They will haul 4 people. They have dry storage in the back and a very good AC system. He has a couple of them.

Anything else would cost more and be too big and heavy for some of the areas he has to go. 

It makes me want to build my XJ to something comparable.

The ropes he is using are kinetic recovery ropes. They are almost like bungee cords. They work best when snatching. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/20 7:57 a.m.

I’ve been watching that channel.  He doesn’t always use the XJ.  He’s got a “big ole tow truck” too.  In the circumstances where a heavier rig would be advantageous, the heavier rig often can’t get to the rescue site.  His XJ must not be very highway friendly either as I’ve noticed he’s taken to towing it to the trailhead behind a Super Duty.

I DD’d a ‘98 XJ with 5 speed for 12 years.  They are extremely capable with just a good set of tires.  No way I would modify a stock one now.  There are thousands and thousands of lifted and kitted out ones but a straight clean stocker is rare.  And getting desirable.  

In reply to A 401 CJ :

That's a good point. Mine is pretty much stock beyond a slight lift. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
7/26/20 8:32 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

a very good AC system. 

After replacing the evaporator, blower motor resistor, and compressor on ours, I'm not sure I can get on board with that.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/20 8:46 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

a very good AC system. 

After replacing the evaporator, blower motor resistor, and compressor on ours, I'm not sure I can get on board with that.

the heat however on an xj is almost too good. my MJ was at the point you have to roll the windows down in winter even on low heat.

bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

a very good AC system. 

Hmm. I did the evap and blower motor on mine while I was in the dash replacing the heater core, and it is outstanding. Even on the hottest day it will freeze you out. 

Sounds like you may have some other issues. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/20 9:30 a.m.

XJs always struck me as the ultimate duzitall rig, so I can totally see this.  Small enough to get there and heavy duty and versatile enough to get the job done.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/26/20 10:22 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

a very good AC system. 

I did a double take at that original statement too. I had a ZJ I replaced every AC component in and it was then capable of barely keeping me comfortable in Georgia summers. 

a lot of recovering other vehicles is knowing how to rig and use what you have. XJs are awesome vehicles but there's nothing that makes them exceptional recovery tools. Given his list of reasons I'd bet a rigged JL/K would be functionally better at all of it except the cost. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/26/20 10:30 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I DD’d a ‘98 XJ with 5 speed for 12 years.  They are extremely capable with just a good set of tires.  No way I would modify a stock one now.  There are thousands and thousands of lifted and kitted out ones but a straight clean stocker is rare.  And getting desirable.  

It's one of the only vehicles in the world that I want to drive exactly as it came from the factory. Even with the issues it's given me(all high mileage related) I absolutely love it.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/26/20 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Hmmm I wouldn't think a Jaguar XJ would make a good recovery vehicle.  Was it a XJ6? XJ12? Or XJS?  Smiley face. 

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 New Reader
7/26/20 12:33 p.m.

i have watched a ton of his videos and they are pretty exciting. very cool. dad alwways likes to watch the winch recoveries but i says they are boring lol

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/26/20 12:49 p.m.

The drivetrain and suspension of his rig are not stock.  Suspension is custom long travel and the axles are out of a 3/4 ton keep pickup from the 70s iirc.

Those kinetic ropes are awesome.  Bought one for the 4Runner at my Utah place.  Learned a lot about getting out of a mess in Utah watching Matt's videos.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
7/26/20 2:33 p.m.

Look for his "build" video. Virtually everything holding that XJ off the ground is custom.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/26/20 3:50 p.m.

I wish he'd throw the cost down.  I'd be interested to what these tow outs cost.  

Now I need a Jeep. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/26/20 3:50 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Hmmm I wouldn't think a Jaguar XJ would make a good recovery vehicle.  Was it a XJ6? XJ12? Or XJS?  Smiley face. 

I still want to put a 12 cylinder XJS motor in my Jeep Cherokee XJ. smiley

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/26/20 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Much like boating...Buy the recovery insurance. 

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
7/26/20 5:13 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I’ve been watching that channel.  He doesn’t always use the XJ.  He’s got a “big ole tow truck” too.  In the circumstances where a heavier rig would be advantageous, the heavier rig often can’t get to the rescue site.  His XJ must not be very highway friendly either as I’ve noticed he’s taken to towing it to the trailhead behind a Super Duty.

He discussed the offroad recovery aspect of his company in a video as well, he said while the offroad recovery part of the business is fun, its nowhere near enough to support a living on.  He makes the majority of his income from his "traditional" towing business.  

He also runs selectable lockers front and rear and 35s on one ton axles so its way more capable than even the average XJ

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/26/20 7:24 p.m.

OK, seriously?  All this talk and nobody mentioned his trailer ramps?  Like, that he doesn't bother with the pesky things?  That was so awesome is LOL'd for both the loading and unloading (shown in the second video above).  That is gettin' it done like a boss!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/20 7:39 p.m.
maj75 (Forum Supporter) said:

The drivetrain and suspension of his rig are not stock.  Suspension is custom long travel and the axles are out of a 3/4 ton keep pickup from the 70s iirc.

So Dana 44s or 60s depending on where he got them from.  Good plan.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/20 7:43 p.m.

welcome to the club lol. I've been watching his vids for about a year now, always enjoy them.

Today's new one was pretty amazing. 

And yeah, there's an episode where he's under the rig showing all the homebrew fabrication underneath. 

7/26/20 7:44 p.m.
DWNSHFT said:

OK, seriously?  All this talk and nobody mentioned his trailer ramps?  Like, that he doesn't bother with the pesky things?  That was so awesome is LOL'd for both the loading and unloading (shown in the second video above).  That is gettin' it done like a boss!

I was tempted to try that yesterday when my trailer was out and the Raider was sitting right there. But, my neighbors were out doing yard work so didn't want to look obnoxious lol....they already tolerate all my car stuff in this quiet suburb. 

7/26/20 7:45 p.m.
Dieselboss15 said:

i have watched a ton of his videos and they are pretty exciting. very cool. dad alwways likes to watch the winch recoveries but i says they are boring lol

It's funny, becaues Matt's buddy who sometimes joins him in recoveries has his own channel for his towing company, and almost everything is winch recovery. And those videos are really boring. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/20 8:30 p.m.

Great channel. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RIQ2ftedIfOAYAbydtxi4J6fjyNJLRr1mT89u1jBoHYltGi4BxwwLDvftxZpxTpm