1 2 3 4
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/25/15 5:34 p.m.

Inspired by the post about the hypothetical 30 speed 928, I've decided to make aa thread in which everyone can catalog their craziest ideas. I'll start.

I really want to take a gen 2 Sienna, do some light air mods, get custom springs to lower it 2.5" all around, add ez-lip all around the car, and modern Sienna SE or Lexus F-sport wheels, paint it satin black below the character line and silver above, and have an epic and reliable DD/hauler.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/25/15 6:23 p.m.

Not that crazy, but LFX v6 (Camaro v6) in mg midget. Modified independent rear. Will probably do something similar in the next year or so. Unless I just go blacktop 4age. 325>160>65 though. Probably not a huge weight penalty.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/15 6:25 p.m.

LFA lump + call to Kennedy Engineering to T56 adapter + AW11

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
9/25/15 6:28 p.m.

Typhoon driveline in a AMC Eagle SX-4.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
9/25/15 6:51 p.m.

Dear God where do I start?

Mgb with stroked 60*v6 and itbs backed by a slick shifted 4 speed.

Locost built to look like a 50s indy car. Northstar with itbs and a paddle shifted auto.

70-72 duster 340 dropped over Winston cup chassis. 17 inch rally wheels and dark tint. No external hints.

4wd first gen s10, 5 speed, awd transfer case, turbo northstar, stock body covering 335/35/17 onall corners.

97-02 dakota rt with hemi six speed swap and aar cuda hood paint and graphics.

Ill stop now.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
9/25/15 6:53 p.m.

Currently im daydreaming about a roller gt3 fc rx7 I found. Im thinking evil thoughts about a supercharged 3800 and challemge glory.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
9/25/15 7:00 p.m.

Mostly just a 460 with a big single in the wagon. Sometimes think a big wagon or fullsize van with wheels and exhaust would make a good tow rig...

Still kind of want another mini truck but instead of a v8 swap a mild 2.3 lima build. Cam, header, small holley 4 barrel. Maybe a bump in compression and a small nitrous shot.

old_gregg
old_gregg New Reader
9/25/15 7:04 p.m.

+

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/15 7:17 p.m.

79 zephyr wagon base model

Ecoboost from a new f150

6 speed

Suspension upgraded for road course duty

Steel rims 17x9s painted to match the car with OE dog dish ford hub caps

Keep the bench seats

Paint non descript silver

Keep all the chrome

Silver progressive window tint

Keep the roof rack

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/25/15 7:55 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Mgb with stroked 60*v6 and itbs backed by a slick shifted 4 speed. Locost built to look like a 50s indy car. Northstar with itbs and a paddle shifted auto . . . 97-02 dakota rt with hemi six speed swap and aar cuda hood paint and graphics.

Dude!! Get outta my head!!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/15 7:58 p.m.

Wow, Old Gregg, I like your creeeamy style.

I want to put an air cooled WV (square back, or something else with low tin, maybe Porsche tinpoking through the hood )in a stripped to the nth degree Subaru BRAT.

Standard fare, but a 70's ford 4x4 needs my Cummins and school bus yellow paint job. Stick shift and crank windows. Cab type optional

The Isuzu V6 on a 2.8 Chevy -5 speed Swank is always referencing would be sweet in an Impulse.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/25/15 8:02 p.m.

Vortech SC'd M60 + 6 speed stuffed in a Volvo 780 on 17x10 and 17x12.

I have a M60, 6 speed, and a 780 . . . But no $$$ for SC, stoopid wide wheels, tires, and body mods to make it happen.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/25/15 8:08 p.m.

I have said it before once I sell the Cobra and clear up some space this is getting built.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/25/15 8:26 p.m.

Typical 30-32 5 window coupe or pickup. With a 2jz and a giant single hanging out of the side. Call it the "Rice Rod". Piss off all the old guys.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/25/15 8:59 p.m.

Man o man, this is one of the primary ways I entertain myself.

Daily driver- Land Rover or Range Rover of the era that has the auto engage roll bars above 15mph. Add the auto engage roll bar feature to the rear. Replace stock spring setup with short stiff spring for bottom few inches and super soft coil over tender spring for top 3/4 travel. Reattach stock air bags in slightly different location (springs are in stock spot). Inflated bag you get high lift soft off road goodness with no roll bars. Deflated bag you get low riding stiffly sprung cornering UTE goodness with fat rollbars engaging over 15mph. Power to suit.

I have owned, or own, or have access to most of the parts for the following:
Challenge Silliness

Turbo 4.8 FC RX7 Big S400 turbo on Chevy 4.8 with LS6 cam/intake/pan backed by TH400 with moderate stall. 335/30/18 tires all around. Lots of spring, 200 shot.

Scoobaru Big S400 turbo on Chevy 4.8 with LS6 cam/intake/pan backed by 4wd 4l60e with astro awd transfer case in whatever AWD subaru chassis you can get cheap. Set engine back far enough to get a rear subie diff in front of the engine and use stock subie axles and hubs all around. 33/66 front rear torque split, decent weight distribution, and lots of go!

CrackKick Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker body on shortened 2001 up 4wd V8 Ford Explorer/AWD Mountaineer chassis. Powered by (you guessed it) Big S400 turbo on Chevy 4.8 with LS6 cam/intake/pan backed by 4wd 4l60e with astro awd transfer case. Has front and rear 8.8 diffs, double a-arm suspension front and rear, weighs very little, width is perfect with stock box flares built into the factory design. Want 335's on that one as well.

ChittiCar CitiCar chassis with Miata subframes front and rear combined with 155lb 155hp GSXR 1000 motor/trans combo. Body panels replaced with diamond plate and windshield replaced with expanded metal mesh. Think Mad Max. Wheels stick out beyond body so it would have a serious side by side look.

Berkeley me! Combine the berkely shell with some sort of frame from either an ATV of a cast off FSAE car. (I really want that one with the sachs wankel). Use the GSXR motor for a sub 1k lb nut. Add A-mod style wings and go play.

Ooooh-Forgot this one:

Emodiata Stock Miata chassis. Chop frame rails a few inches to move the subframes up enough to get desired ride height with good stock geometry. Move desired engine back and to the right to needed location to get the weight distribution rear biased and balanced. Fiberglass front and rear clips, no windshield, appropriate shocks, bushings, brakes, etc... I think you could hit emod weight minimums and be reasonably competitive with a fairly simple build.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/15 10:58 p.m.

I'd also rock the hell out of an Amazon or 142 with a 2.3L ecoboost swap.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
9/25/15 11:35 p.m.
old_gregg wrote: +

I hope to do that one day, with a Trabant.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
9/25/15 11:49 p.m.

Right now crazy for me is a 3.1 stroker motor for my 240z.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
9/26/15 2:16 a.m.

Twin turboed LSx mated to corvette transaxle and rear suspension all occupying the bed of a chevy s10.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
9/26/15 6:59 a.m.

C3 Corvette with a 1jz. Then I'll paint the valve cover and claim that it's secretly a prototype "BlueFlame II" GM built in the early 80s.

Hyundai Starex engine/transmission/rear suspension + dual chassis ala Lotus 88 + outer-chassis mounted suckers ala Cheaparral + turbo off a long-haul semi + enormous tires = all your diesel track records are belong to me.

Ferrari 512TR with a built 4g63 because berkeley Ferrari guys.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
9/26/15 7:03 a.m.

Honda S2000 drive train (or a supercharged Miata)in a Nash Metropolitan.

Flint_Jeff
Flint_Jeff New Reader
9/26/15 8:20 a.m.

Take my 05 Equinox AWD, replace rear with Dana 44 unit, turn 3400 V6 north-south, add turbos and 4L60E, gut interior and apply to rallycross / general hoonage use

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
9/26/15 8:22 a.m.

SAAB 99 with SAAB 900 turbo drive train plus ng900 T5 engine management. Not real hard to do, except for the finding a suitable 99 shell to start with.

I've always wanted to make an off-road muscle car, prerunner style. I'm partial to Fords, so I'm picturing a Torino with 31" or 32" tires with long travel suspension, 2wd, sitting no higher than it needs to to make the suspension work. Nice interior with working AC. NASCAR 351w engine. It would probably need a tube chassis, but I would try to make it not obvious.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
9/26/15 8:47 a.m.

I have this recurring thought of an ideal daily driver that involves an LS3 somewhere it doesn't belong.

Rx8 - sports car with backseats so it can actually be a respectable family hauler.

Volvo wagon late 90's model as it would be super useable and still look evil and Euro but be able to back it up...

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
9/26/15 9:44 a.m.

I've been thinking about a late model sport truck. 1/2 ton, any make, standard cab, short bed, 2wd, and a v8. 4"/6" drop, big sway bars, torsen with 4.1:1 out back. Then autoX it

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EpvTLVARr3ZJZnrYcOHSblu4yCYYMpeYZrK8gZD01Q50TRHxAQqZKr3O5Bo0pI0W