bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/8/08 6:28 p.m.

Ever see one of these before?

Electric Car

I hadn't, until I saw a bunch sitting in the back of the local Toyota/ Scion dealership. Apparently, they were "made" by Miles automotive, but actually made in China. They sport a DC motor and only go about 25 mph and have a short range. Think maxi-golf cart.

But my real point is, shove a 1 liter engine in there, or even better a small diesel, and you would have one helluva micro-SUV. And with the tiny wagon craze in full swing a la Honda Fit, Suzuki SX4, and Scion, it just seems logical to make it.

I know I'd be in line to get one.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/8/08 8:19 p.m.

This looks like your somewhat run-of-the-mill Japanese market "kei" car...tho no kei car I'm aware of has battery power and/or a DC motor.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/8/08 8:22 p.m.

After doing a bit of research, it appears this little bugger is a version of the Daihatsu Move, which is available with 660cc-1000cc engines. Goes up to 140km/h and gets about 60 mpg.

Where are all the Kei cars?

The electric car shown is from the Move's second generation chassis, which is now 10+ years old.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/8/08 8:41 p.m.

"Where are all the kei cars?"

Just about anywhere except the U.S. However, it should be mentioned that kei-cars don't even sell all that well in the few Euro markets they are offered in. Honda sold a few Beats in the U.K. and Suzuki has sold about as many Cappucinos (sp?) outside Japan...but since there are slightly bigger MPV-like tiny vans with slightly bigger engines and exterior dimensions,(the usual kei-car configuration) these vehicles usually only sell decently when parking space is REALLY at a premium.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/8/08 8:48 p.m.

I'd have to say, a mini-Xb style ute would be great for me. The 40+ cubic feet of cargo room is more than enough, and having gotten used to driving an EG Civic, I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed in acceleration or handling much in these cars.

I'm still waiting to see exactly what happens with the new Fit, the new "cheap" Honda hybrid, and the Nissan Cube.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter None
7/8/08 9:07 p.m.

Oh, I would love me a Suzuki Cappucino... 3-cylinder turbo-goodness that can take an R32 off the line? Yes, please!

wcelliot
wcelliot New Reader
7/11/08 8:40 a.m.

If the "powers that be" in Washngton were serious about "change", the US market could be awash virtually overnight with small, lightweight, high mpg cars with only one simple change: formally recognize EU and/or Japan crash safety standards (which are for the most part every bit as good as the US, just different in execution).

The EPA stuff is a cakewalk by comparison... easy to buy or build an OBDII engine.... but unless a car is specifically built to US DOT safety standards, except in rare cases (usually involving great mass such as the Mercedes G500) it will never meet them. And as you note in the sales data, these cars are two low margin for any significant investment to qualify them for our market.

From the very beginning of Federal intervention in 1968, small lightweight cars as a class have been virtually legislated out of existence here... my "fnader" domain is not just about what his movement did to the Corvair, but to the US auto industry in general.

But too many "entrenched interests" on both sides of the political fence for a cheap, easy, and common sense idea like this to ever see the light of day...

Bill

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/11/08 9:00 a.m.

Voted up for that one Bill.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/11/08 9:33 a.m.

sigh

i'd trade my miata in on a cappucino tomorrow. ...or even this afternoon.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/11/08 11:04 a.m.
bluej wrote: *sigh* i'd trade my miata in on a cappucino tomorrow. ...or even this afternoon.

They're building a new Starbucks just down the street from our office. Stop by & you've got a deal!

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
7/11/08 11:31 a.m.

Coolest car we don't get and you pick that? I'm not sure I could answer that question, but from a real world perspective, I'd have to say the new Scirroco (Is that how you spell it?).

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/11/08 11:46 a.m.

the car in the original post is here simply becaeu by making it electric and limiting the top speed to 25-35 mph, it does not have to meet any US crash or emissions regulations. Therefore it can actually be sold here. Put the engines you are asking into it, and it becomes economically unfeasable to bring that particular car (and teh dozens more that are like it) to the US.

Now, actual Kei cars, for the most part, wouldn't be bad. But the cars that the top car are based off of are very likely extremely unsafe at anything above the speeds those electric versions go.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/12/08 11:48 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Oh, I would love me a Suzuki Cappucino... 3-cylinder turbo-goodness that can take an R32 off the line? Yes, please!

Make mine a Wagon R

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
7/13/08 9:24 a.m.

I want a Mazda AZ-1 :(

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/13/08 5:47 p.m.
gamby wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Oh, I would love me a Suzuki Cappucino... 3-cylinder turbo-goodness that can take an R32 off the line? Yes, please!
Make mine a Wagon R

sweet! it even looks like my fat american arse might fit in it too!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vxUpCGXTBvqBmQdAKQl4RK8Ofmxg3IT0oubxsig88z5x3b9Sjf8p8bsX3Di5rcdL