David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/4/20 10:09 a.m.

Similar cars. Different missions. Very different equipment.

The brakes for both the road and race versions of the latest Ford GT are supplied by the same company, but their specs vary. Greatly.

The street car’s brakes must perform at a high level while also remaining civil—no noise, no discomfort. The ones on the race car have a narrower purpose: to help win races. Both operate on the simple premise of converting kinetic energy into heat, but parsing how each one meets its specific engineering challenges is a deeper dive than you might imagine.

Read the rest of the story

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/4/20 10:20 a.m.

Ford GT at a track day, you must be kidding. Only if it was enclosed in a plastic bubble with land mines around it. Ford could have fudged on the engineering since none of these things actually get driven. These are strictly investment grade jewelry. That said, I love them and the GT40 before them.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/4/20 10:28 a.m.

Interesting article, thanks.  I think that racing practice has improved street brakes in many cases. If Jaguar hadn't been running Le Mans they probably wouldn't have gone to discs as early as they did.

There are many cars made with perfectly adequate braking systems  but owners insist on changing them out for something larger, more colourful and most important fo many, praiseworthy in the eyes of their peers when nothing was needed  Some of them try and rationalize it by starting with older half thrashed ill maintained stock systems that they toss out and install new big brake kits and say that the huge difference proves they needed them, despite the fact that in many cases if they had first maintained their stock system and chosen optimal pads, there would have been little difference in the end result.

Nothing at all wrong with fitting stuff to your car for no other reason than you think it is neat - big brakes, alloy wheels etc. etc.  Not sure what the deal with the self deluding need to justify that sort of mod as being a safety necessity is all about.

In the old days, there were a bunch of cars manufactured with crap braking systems - take a look at the fist discs used on the front of a Cooper S (I laugh every time I see one) or the rotors they had in the Tiger (wonder who said 'Why don't we make a pocket Cobra out of an Alpine by sticking a V8 in it, but lets stick with 13" wheels so we can't fit a competent brake in there for anyone that actually drives hard")

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/4/20 11:34 a.m.
wspohn said:

There are many cars made with perfectly adequate braking systems  but owners insist on changing them out for something larger, more colourful and most important fo many, praiseworthy in the eyes of their peers when nothing was needed

Agree.  I think you just summed up a wide swath of the aftermarket industry these days, not just brakes.

Our Preferred Partners
BlL7iNlQuXLCCGGFr0nVzRTcKTjBvD5QCGhs6waBy6jrSmNQYtxhwrweGH71M6Go