LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/17/16 11:31 a.m.

I was planning to buy a real track day suspension (Fox, Xida etc) for my 92 Miata this year. But due to more pressing maintenance needs on a 360k mile car, the money just isn't there. The real suspension will have to wait till next year.

Goal: Get the car about 1" lower and somewhat stiffer on an absurdly shoestring budget (~$250). I'm thinking aftermarket (cough, cringe...) lowering springs. What springs would you suggest? Other options? (Besides robbing a 7-11?)

Current suspension: KYB Silvers with stock springs, Racing beat Hollow front bar, Racing Beat rear bar, stock bump stops, Other stuff: I have new Honda bump stops ready to install. Hope this will keep the ride quality somewhat bearable.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/16 11:34 a.m.

Wait until you can afford the real suspension. You're just wasting money otherwise.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
2/17/16 11:37 a.m.

Keep trolling CL until you find something you can work with. Sell the KYB shocks and springs to add to the kitty.

Ninja edit: since my car is getting more and more track focused this year I sold the FM 2.5 shocks and springs I had been running and bought an unused spec Miata setup. Total cost to me ended up being $50. I'm sure it isn't ideal but it is more adjustable (for height) and stiffer so I can corner without laying on the bump stops the entire time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
2/17/16 11:38 a.m.
LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/17/16 11:41 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Dave Coleman can tell you how!

^ This is an awesome thread. He's going for the no money solution. I can spend a little.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
2/17/16 11:46 a.m.

For a while I ran my NB on its stock dampers and a knock-off Ground Control springs & perches kit I found on Ebay for $90. The car was transformed -- lower stance, much more grip at the limit, much less dive and squat -- but the ride quality for daily driving was pretty much crap.

If your Miata is used only for track days and autocross events, a firm set of lowering springs could be the cheap ticket for a season of performance driving. But if your Miata is also your daily driver, don't ramp up your spring rates without also investing in some quality shocks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
2/17/16 11:51 a.m.

In reply to LuxInterior:

True, but he's also giving you the math to properly select your new springs/bump stops. He even uses the same sway bars you have as a target for his $0 solution!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/17/16 11:54 a.m.
nderwater wrote: For a while I ran my NB on its stock dampers and a knock-off Ground Control springs & perches kit I found on Ebay for $90. The car was transformed -- lower stance, much more grip at the limit, much less dive and squat -- but the ride quality for daily driving was pretty much crap.

Hmmmm... I found the $92 red/black ones on ebay. Looks interesting. And yes, I'm sure the ride will be total E36 M3. But I could deal with that for a year.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/16 12:01 p.m.

I think cutting the stock springs as a temporary solution is actually a decent idea. It'll be a bit lower and stiffer but won't make a mockery of your stock-ish shocks, and it's almost free.

calteg
calteg Dork
2/17/16 12:05 p.m.

I'd cut the stock springs and see if you can't beg\borrow an amazing deal on Bilsteins.

I want to say there's a guy on miataturbo selling a variety of eibach springs in desirable lengths & spring rates for $200.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
2/17/16 12:17 p.m.

Do you have the time to shop used? I'd argue that Koni Sports ($500 new, less used) on stock springs will be better enough that you will be pleased, and then you can add coilover sleeves and real grown-up springs as budget allows for an all-in $900 if bought new. $500 if you get shocks, springs and perches all used. I *think * I can put you in touch with a guy selling a functional set of Konis sports for $300 if you are interested.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/17/16 1:16 p.m.

I still think of Xidas as "baller status", I have Koni Sport and ground control. If you want something approaching the Xidas go ahead and get race valved front shocks and have the GC's with 700/400 F/R springrates. I have 550/375 on mine right now without the race valving and its pushing the limits of the shocks (plus might be too rear biased for trackdays, its twitchy on fast sweepers due to rear bias)

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/17/16 1:38 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I still think of Xidas as "baller status"....

I've had crap shocks on my miatas for years. My last car had completely shot R package Billies and toasted bump stops.

I kept hearing "don't do anything until you can afford to do it right". So, I didn't do any half measures. The result: I spent 2 years gritting my teeth, crashing over every damned bump. So, I'll gladly give $2k for a great set of coilovers next year.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
2/17/16 1:41 p.m.

I saw somewhere searching the web that the FM springs could cut a "dead coil" for an extra 1" drop, and think that was an actual FM install sheet. So, used FM springs/Bilstein combo?

Because I'm a little nuts, and wanted the 320i a little lower than the H&R springs would go, I had strut tops made for the front (about an extra half inch), which left the rear too high - so I cut one "dead" coil of the rears, and oh mama it got a fair amount stiffer (and put the ride height exactly where I wanted...). 320i's are tail happy as it is, and man did that add to it.

Point being that the dead coil cut on an FM spring (and used Bil's) might be a pretty decent way for a little more drop and stiffness on the cheap.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/17/16 5:20 p.m.

I found some MSM Bilsteins on Ebay in my budget. I'll run these for a bit. Then I'll sell my stock shocks and use the proceeds to build a budget version of Swank Force Racing Zyduhz

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gLfqH2jYLlxkP3PKFKjmROGZTkgUWnGcpTSuUEa0YY5uaKZ6rT5UqgezN6e5UHSW